frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
Originally posted by iceman
I have to disagree with you on this one frassle.
I wouldnt touch a PACE skybox with a stick..
Their tuners are weaker than most.

iceman

I think you are being too general there. Some Paces are rubbish as indeed some Grundigs, but not all of them. I am using a Pace microbox, mainly for testing and it's fine.

G

gcohen

Originally posted by longridge
Since i am involved in the conversations here i will wright also!!:)
Yes it is true that i changed a few lnbs on big prime focus dishes and had a very good result with the quad invacom lnbs with a special adjustable feed(The adjustable feed makes the difference on balancing all the transponders)
2.7m dishes along the Limmasol beach work fine.Going up towards Pareklissia and Ayios Tyxonas FORGET IT!
From Pissouri towards Paphos 2.7m work fantastic(In Paphos you dont even need the Quad lnb.The single is fine!
I have also put a couple of those lnbs on 2.4m dishes with extensions and were ok but that also depends how the flaps have been put! That becomes 3m and not 3.2m
My friend ICEMAN hasnt got a problem since he has a 4.2m dish:)
Any questions i will be happy to help!
Best regards
longridge
Can you give some details on the adjustable feed please.
Geoff

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Originally posted by gcohen
Can you give some details on the adjustable feed please.
Geoff

The "adjustable feed" is made of two parts..The neck & the ring.
The neck is threaded so that ring position can be adjusted without altering focal distance.

westy

Reaction score
Website
www.westlandelectronics.tk
My Location
england/cyprus
I tried one of these feeds which was on a friends dish, in pafos.
result in my case on 2.4 famaval, screwing in and out produced the same results as moving all the feed in and out and the same as a fixed feed.
Anyone else found the same.
Norman

G

gcohen

The "adjustable feed" is made of two parts..The neck & the ring.
The neck is threaded so that ring position can be adjusted without altering focal distance.

Thanks for that.
Who is the manufacturer / supplier ?

Geoff

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Originally posted by westy
I tried one of these feeds which was on a friends dish, in pafos.
result in my case on 2.4 famaval, screwing in and out produced the same results as moving all the feed in and out and the same as a fixed feed.

unless you use a professional digital meter you cannot tell the difference this feed does between transponders;)

Originally posted by gcohen
Who is the manufacturer / supplier ?

These feeds are manufactured in Russia & you can order from the sat shop in Limassol/CYPRUS i PM'd you previously.

iceman

O

Old Fred

I have to disagree with you on this one frassle.
I wouldnt touch a PACE skybox with a stick..
Their tuners are weaker than most.
iceman
That's only true for the Pace boxes with the "ZIF" tuner that looks like a little circuit board standing up on the mother board (with "F" connector).

That guy from Nicosia (I forget his name) is getting excellent results from the new Pace BSKYB2600 "Rapier" and the Pace "Javelin" minibox. I looked inside both of these at a dealer's shop and they have tiny tuner modules that look more like the latest Amstrads (don't know if the DRX300/400 Amstrads are any good).

I emailed Pace and they said it's a new tuner designed especially for best performance where there are strong signals hiding weak ones (exactly what you get with a 3.5m dish!)

BTW does anyone know Simon at "Sky's the limit", Limassol? Any good?

Fred

chris_lim

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello again,

A friend of mine who has exactly the same dish as me 2,4m prime focus with flaps that extend it to 3m and a single Invacom 0,3db lnb and lives a bit further than me (for those who know limassol I live a 200m before the 4 seasons hotel as you come from limassol towards agios tychonas) inside agios tychonas village can receive BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 London with a Panasonic TU DSB 30 receiver. The hours of reception are 12am to 2pm and 4,30pm to 9pm. 9pm to 12am and 2pm to 4,30pm there is no reception. How come I cannot receive nothing with exactly the same equipment.
By the way ''Old Fred'' Simon has done a lot of installations where in my area at pubs mainly but also at individuals. His installations seem OK but his dishes don't seem to be of the best quality (in comparison to mine that was installed by TITOSAT, mine seems more stable and of better quality material). The boxes he gives sometimes are second hand (like my uncle's) but his prices seem to be OK.

longridge

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What type of dishes does "SIMON" use?
How do you know that his dishes aren't good?
I installed 2 identical dishes 35m appart . One of them gets BBC1,2 and ITV 24hours and the other one breaks up 20.15 -9.50
with the same boxes.
Its NOT the quality of the dishes he uses but the area.!

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
The dish that Simon put up for me was a 2.4mFamaval,just like Titosat,(but cheaper,I suppose because tito charges extra for coming from Nicosia and covers himself for return visits to realign dishes)
The dish is stable and with the quad lnb and NO extensions I get BBC up to 6-7pm.I am thinking about the extensions but I need confirmation that they work in Limassol.:confused
Ps as Simon resides in Limassol,he gives quick and good service,is from London so no communication problem,and comes across as honest.He doesnt need to advertise everywhere(like titosat)for work,he gets work by recommendation,thats how I found him.:-righton And he supplied me with a new guaranteed box.(

chris_lim

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I never said that his dishes are not good. I just that the material from which some of their elements are made don't look after some period of time as good as the ones on my dish.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
The only differences are behind the dish,the mount and stand are made of galvanized metal on your dish and black painted metal on mine,which makes no difference to reception,only price.The dishes and feedhorn are exactly the same size and quality.Also your dish is probably beige in colour.All new famavals are now painted grey and seem to have a smoother finish.Like someone said,its where and how the dish is installed that makes a difference.Maybe your flaps have not been put on properly.If there is distortion on the circumference of your dish,it will not focus properly.Try the fishing line test.

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
Comments from Cyprus Satfans welcomed - see my epistle under
Phased Arrays
Geoff
Ag.Georgios
Vrysoulles
Famagusta District

anelayh

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
dreambox
2x 3m dishes
My Location
cyprus
longridge said:
Snip

I have also put a couple of those lnbs on 2.4m dishes with extensions and were ok but that also depends how the flaps have been put! That becomes 3m and not 3.2m

How the flaps have been put, could you be more explicit please.

mctighed

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
I am living in Protaras, Famagusta area of Cyprus and have an Anderson 2.7 offset dish with a.6 Cambridge LNB. I have tried a Genesis 3 which is not as good as the Cambridge. (expensive mistake)
I cant get any 2D signals and ch4, Granada plus fade at night. My local suppliers tell me only a 3.8 dish will cure my problems. Yet I hear Limmasol is getting all channels with a 2.7 dish. Can anyone help me to at least improve my signal?

Regards

Derek

G

gcohen

mctighed said:
I am living in Protaras, Famagusta area of Cyprus and have an Anderson 2.7 offset dish with a.6 Cambridge LNB. I have tried a Genesis 3 which is not as good as the Cambridge. (expensive mistake)
I cant get any 2D signals and ch4, Granada plus fade at night. My local suppliers tell me only a 3.8 dish will cure my problems. Yet I hear Limmasol is getting all channels with a 2.7 dish. Can anyone help me to at least improve my signal?

Regards

Derek
Were you using the correct feed for your dish ? - a feed designed for a small sky dish will not illuminate your dish properly. I found that a Genesis was better than a Cambridge but a Invacom was better than both - but with the correct feeds.
Geoff

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
mctighed said:
My local suppliers tell me only a 3.8 dish will cure my problems. Yet I hear Limmasol is getting all channels with a 2.7 dish.

The signal strenght (2D) is not same on every part of the island.
I was told signal strenght even varies between Limassol & Paphos.
If you want trouble free reception all year round,get the largest dish you can afford.

iceman

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
mctighed said:

Regards

Derek

Try an MTI offset lnb,or TELSPLIT twin offset which is better,or twin STRONG. .Tell your satman to just try it.I know the supra 2.4 offset dish is okay in paralimni.I don't rate the cambridge personally and the genesis was a waste of time and money.
As a matter of interest what make is your box?black grundig or panasonic 31 are no good for ch4,g.plus,men and motors etc.