2D reception in SW France

D

dido

I am totally new to this forum lark - and a total tech novice (so please be patient with me), but would like to establish what I need to do to sort out BBC disappearance (it's Wimbledon soon!). I am in SW France, have a Panasonic Sky digibox and 60cm dish and up until now could receive all BBC and ITV1 (not ITV2). BBC now gone (except for radio and Parliament and regional BBC2 via 960/1/2). Have tried add channels feature but told channels not available. I seem to think the fact that I can still get ITV via Astra 2D and not BBC is because they have reduced the signal strength (is this a negotiating ploy for them to get their way re. the EPG?). Is the answer a new dish - if so what size? The Astra guide seems to indicate 90cm - will this do? I need the right answer as the local dish installer is a difficult chap and it needs to go on the top of our rather high roof!!

All comments gratefully receeved

Dido

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi dido, this may not necessarily be a dish size problem, what size dish do you have at the moment? You say you can't get ITV2, but do you subscribe to Sky and can you get any of the other channels on 2D.

D

dido

Hi there,

The dish is 60cm and I do subscribe directly to Sky rather than have a card via an European satellite company. As far as other 2D channels I am not sure what else comes via 2D other than ITV - we get ITV 1 and not ITV 2. I can currently get the BBC Parliament, all the BBC radio channels and the regional BBC2 broadcasts on channel 960 etc. The Sky package I have is quite full with the sport and movie bits and there don't seem to be any other "No satellite signal being received" messages anywhere else. Past reception has always been very good - excellent clear picture and only loosing any channels in the worst type of thunder storms. Does this help?

Thanks for your response - hopefully you can pin poin the problem for me

Dido

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It would certainly appear that this transponder is very low power, this may be an experimental level, with the BBC and Astra trying to guage how tightly they can confine transmissions to a certain area. It also has caused some problems, software and signal related on UK boxes, which was not expected, in fact one of the threads in this forum where a skew adjustment brought the weaker transponder into view.

You can see exactly what is being transmitted on the 2D transponders HERE and your installer can see exactly which transponder he needs to check for reception. For safety, it may be necessary to upgrade to a good quality 90cm dish, hopefully your existing mountings will take it.

D

dido

Hi Rolf

Thanks for the reply. I have had look at the 2D channel listing and I do get all the other channels except the BBC ones. It looks as though I am going to have to call Monsieur "Grumpy" and see if he can put a larger dish up - I assume that I shouldn't need to change any other part of my system in view of no other reception difficulties.

Thanks once again for your help

Dido

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
If you add channels 10847 V 22 5/6 you may get BBC1 London.
It would appear as if you may only be missing 10773 H

D

dido

Hi Devonbrown,

Totally coincidentally I tried doing "Add channels" after my last message. On 10773H I got "No signal found", on 10803H I got "Programme not available" and on 10847V I did get BBC 1 - BUT with an extremely poor signal - sound OK but picture breaking up (pixellated?). Will be good enough for the 2nd episode of the "State of Play" drama tonight. I assume that this result supports the need of a larger dish rather than anything else.

Big thanks to everyone - my husband is getting very worried about my new state of "techiness".

Dido