ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
The latest rumour, from a usually reliable source routed to me via local SATTV retailer here in Cyprus, is that BBC and SKY are re-negotiating with a view to BBC channels reverting to 2A/B. In fact this comes not just from one such source, but from three - all with contacts high-up in the BBC or in SKY. The idea being that BBC would still be FTA, with some side deal regards distribution of BBC Prime (subscription channel). As is widely known there have been some 2D reception problems within UK.

I only pass on to this forum what I believe to be good information, but I cannot confirm it. I wonder if anyone else has access to BBC or SKY 'moles'?

Regards,
Geoff
Cyprus

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The problems reported tend to have been shoddy installation with not enough attention paid to alignment and (especially) skew.

The pity of it is that many are original installs by $ly but if it's more than 12 months since it was installed you still have to pay for the "technician" to come out.

As time goes on there will be less residual problem and new installs will be better (they have to be or 2D won't work properly) so, personally, I can't see the Beeb going back.

Anyway, are there enough spare transponders on 2A/B now? And what would happen to 2D? Someone would have to use it.

So. Thinking about it logically, it ain't gonna happen.

PaulR

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
So now I know why everybody is asking/telling me that "bbc is coming back".This happened a couple of years ago with BFBS,reasons being that the MOD couldn't afford to keep scrambling.Personally I think its rubbish.I dont think the bbc would turn around,they cused too much problems already.
Name your contacts. :) Who do you talk to,astrotwat,or tit o'sat ?

geoffreys said:
The latest rumour, from a usually reliable source routed to me via local SATTV retailer here in Cyprus, is that BBC and SKY are re-negotiating with a view to BBC channels reverting to 2A/B. In fact this comes not just from one such source, but from three - all with contacts high-up in the BBC or in SKY. The idea being that BBC would still be FTA, with some side deal regards distribution of BBC Prime (subscription channel). As is widely known there have been some 2D reception problems within UK.

I only pass on to this forum what I believe to be good information, but I cannot confirm it. I wonder if anyone else has access to BBC or SKY 'moles'?

Regards,
Geoff
Cyprus

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It certainly would be logical that the BBC may be negotiating for BBC Prime to be distributed on a subscription basis, but the other channels moving to 2a/b in the clear, as with the others, can't see it happening. In fact they wouldn't need to negotiate with Sky for this, it would be Astra.

Many of these rumours start out of wishful thinking.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
rolfw said:
It certainly would be logical that the BBC may be negotiating for BBC Prime to be distributed on a subscription basis, but the other channels moving to 2a/b in the clear, as with the others, can't see it happening. In fact they wouldn't need to negotiate with Sky for this, it would be Astra.

Many of these rumours start out of wishful thinking.

That is true,but it is annoying when you tell people that to get BBC all day you need a 2.7 or 3m dish,then they say"but I heard that bbc are coming back,and only on a 12inch dish and more free football and s_x blah blah blah" O-Ha and you ask them where they heard it and they say"a bloke at the british legion who's mate served in the war with greg dykes grandma......."you get my drift?
We found out BBC were leaving astra2a because the BBC made the announcement.
Ps BBC prime is already available on a subscription basis on its own on hotbird legally anywhere in Europe and on certain pay packages on foreign satellites.

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
zorba said:
So now I know why everybody is asking/telling me that "bbc is coming back".This happened a couple of years ago with BFBS,reasons being that the MOD couldn't afford to keep scrambling.Personally I think its rubbish.I dont think the bbc would turn around,they cused too much problems already.
Name your contacts. :) Who do you talk to,astrotwat,or tit o'sat ?

Andreas (Sardolas Electric) in Paralimni. No idea where he got it from/i.e. from whom.
No smoke without fire!
Geoff

cos32

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
geoffreys said:
Andreas (Sardolas Electric) in Paralimni. No idea where he got it from/i.e. from whom.
No smoke without fire!
Geoff

As Zorba says, It's not going to happen, and I agree with him.
It's just wishful thinking. a)(2

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ Zorba, Agreed that BBC prime is available via other sources, but Sky would probably pay for the BBC Prime service to supplement their out of footprint subscribers......You know, the ones they don't have. :D