2m dish viable or not?

BOBSKI

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Gothenburg,SWEDEN
Hi,
I have a chance of buying a 2m dish here in Sweden.
Cost 80 quid, and the motor steering doesn't work.
Anybody (CH) any idea's if this could be a good buy or
because the motor's up the creek its useless?
No idea what type it is.
Any questions I should ask the seller before buying.

I would only be using it for sky anyway,fixed for 2D.
Hope you can see the pic's.

solsat

Reaction score
Website
www.solsat.com
My Location
Alicante
The larger the satellite dish the more difficult it is to align the dish correctly to the narrower beamwidth. messing around trying to find correct azimuth with a broken actuator arm is going to be a nightmare. Astra 2d dish alignment and more importantly the quality and angle of the lnb is critical especially in a fringe reception area.Youre going to tell us next youve picked up an old black grundig digibox from a car boot sale to hook upto your dish! Lastly in our experience the bandith and gain of an old prime focus 2mtr dish will not be happy trying to receive bbc etc at 10.7ghz or thereabouts

BOBSKI

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Gothenburg,SWEDEN
solsat said:
The larger the satellite dish the more difficult it is to align the dish correctly to the narrower beamwidth. messing around trying to find correct azimuth with a broken actuator arm is going to be a nightmare. Astra 2d dish alignment and more importantly the quality and angle of the lnb is critical especially in a fringe reception area.Youre going to tell us next youve picked up an old black grundig digibox from a car boot sale to hook upto your dish! Lastly in our experience the bandith and gain of an old prime focus 2mtr dish will not be happy trying to receive bbc etc at 10.7ghz or thereabouts

HI,
Thanks for the fast reply.
Actually I already have an old black grundig gsd200 and its purring along just nicely(touch wood) with a zone 2 dish.
For us to try and recieve 2D here in Gothenburg,Sweden we will try anything providing it's viable,hence my original question of above.

The only channels I do not get are on 2D and i'm not going to spend a fortune on a dish that does not recieve 2D with ease.

So by your answer, in your experience it would not be viable to go for this piece of junk.
Cheer's m8....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
On looking at the reports on Expat's Astra2D site, there only appears to be one report from Gothenburg and the guy wasn't sure whether his dish was 2m or 2,5m, plus was having problems.

Whilst £80 isn't a lot and although difficult, finding the satellite could be done, but you may need to change the LNB and possibly adapt the feed if it isn't a standard universal.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Why not check the price of a motor and see if the total cost is worth the trouble against a brand new one

Me ? I would buy it straight away and worry about the problems after

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, that is why both of us have full garages CH. :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Not just one (fortunately)

frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
BOBSKI said:
HI,
Thanks for the fast reply.
Actually I already have an old black grundig gsd200 and its purring along just nicely(touch wood) with a zone 2 dish.
For us to try and recieve 2D here in Gothenburg,Sweden we will try anything providing it's viable,hence my original question of above.

The only channels I do not get are on 2D and i'm not going to spend a fortune on a dish that does not recieve 2D with ease.

So by your answer, in your experience it would not be viable to go for this piece of junk.
Cheer's m8....

I think you are being a bit premature.
You do not need a motor. We set up larger dishes than this without a motor. I would have thought that a 2M would be big enough in Sweden assuming you have a decent lnb etc

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
not true in gothenburg im afraid, 2 metres might not be enough and certainly isnt enough for the vertical transponders.

2 metres might get the horizontal channels. let us know how you get on.

BOBSKI

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Gothenburg,SWEDEN
indios_se said:
not true in gothenburg im afraid, 2 metres might not be enough and certainly isnt enough for the vertical transponders.

2 metres might get the horizontal channels. let us know how you get on.

Thanks for all the different view's.

I will talk to the seller and see if we can have some agreement as I will have to drive 200 swedish miles which is about a 12 hour trip in total.
Who know's one can only try if there is half a chance and this may be the half chance....