3.7m dish, Limassol, SKY HD and FREESAT

yan75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4m dish, Pace 2600, 0.5dB universal quad Invacom LNB (Limassol)
4.2m dish Pace 2600 0.3dB universal quad invacom LNB. (Larnaca)
Slingbox HD.
My Location
Cyprus Limassol
Hello guys

I have decided to install a 3.7m dish in Limassol and would like some advice please. Can you please confirm or deny the following:-

1)The larger dish will rovide 24/7 trouble free viewing except for perhaps the worst storms.
2)I want to install Sky HD but I have been told the boxes are no good in Cyprus and constantly need replacing, is this the case?
3)Will not have problems with channel 4.

The second part to my question is regarding Freesat.

1)Will the 3.7m dish be big enough to utilize a Freesat digibox?
2)Can I recieve in CYPRUS all the channels on Freesat that I can with a Sky HD box? Do people have both to try to cover as many channels as possible ie is it possible to recieve the 2d channels on Freesat that you cannot recieve on the sky platform?

I have been through the forums but its difficult to find definitive answers for Cyprus and my particular situation.

Thanks

cos32

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
Hi Yan75

First of all let me say that I am also in Limassol and have a 3.8mtr dish and you
are quite correct with a size that big you will rareley have any problems only in
savear weather.

I also have Sky HD and that works very well and it is exelent there are only 2 channals so far that we can not pick up on HD and unfortunaly BBC HD is one of them.

Just as a footnote. I also Install Satellite systems.

Cos32

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
yan75 said:
2)Can I recieve in CYPRUS all the channels on Freesat that I can with a Sky HD box? Do people have both to try to cover as many channels as possible ie is it possible to recieve the 2d channels on Freesat that you cannot recieve on the sky platform?

Hi,
It all boils down to the first part of your question, i.e is the 3.7m big enough. If so, it is not necessary really to have a Sky box and a Freesat box. There is only one channel that you would get on a HD Freesat box that you can't get on a Sky box and that is ITV HD.

EDIT. I wasn't aware that BBC HD wasn't available on a SKY HD:confused:confused

Actually the channel line up for Freesat does not include ALL the FTA channels you would get on a Sky Digibox, unless the Box mode is changed from Freesat to FTA.

Changing the box will not make the 2D transponders any stronger for you obviously.
:)

cos32

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
Sorry I did not make myself clear. BBC HD is on the listings it's that we just
can pick it up in Cyprus (No satellite signal).

Cos32

yan75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Slingbox HD.
My Location
Cyprus Limassol
Thanks for the replies.

So there is no real point in having both boxes, its one or the other, as what you cannot get on one box you cannot get on the other either, right?

Is it possible to receive these HD channels through the "other channels" menu with teh SKY HD boxes or is it absolutely no chance of viewing these channels in Cyprus.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If the dish is big enough you can get everything on a Sky box that you can on a Freesat box apart from ITV HD.

But not the other way round unless you have a HUMAX Foxsat Freesat and put it into FTA mode, at which point you lose the ITV HD. There are only approx 80 channels in the Freesat EPG at present.

As far as I know the "Add other Channels" on a Sky box won't get you ITV HD, it can only be got on Freesat boxes, and a few other HD FTA boxes with software patches etc.

A FTA HD satellite receiver such as the TM6800 would get all FTA channels (Inc ITV HD), there are one or two others that can too.

yan75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Slingbox HD.
My Location
Cyprus Limassol
So the only benefit of using freesat over a SKY HD box is being able to access ITV HD.

I want SKY for the football, but ITV HD will also be good for the champions league and also for the better quality.

There are no problems running both boxes together then?

Any ideas how much the humax box costs?

Thank you for the advice.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Channel wise yes that is the only benefit, also the EPG is not filled up with guff that you are not subscribed to.

Yes, you can run two boxes together but you need at least a twin LNB, so each one can have its own feed.

The Humax HD Freesat boxes are about £150 from Argos,

Also one or two of the site supporters sells them.

CDTronics,southernsatellites and satonline I haven't checked the others, click my sig.
:)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Robbo71 said:
Yes, you can run two boxes together but you need at least a twin LNB, so each one can have its own feed.
You'll need at least a Quad LNB as the $ly HD box is twin input. That plus another box makes three feeds needed.

When the HD Freesat PVRs come out they are likely to be twin input as well so it's looking as though an Octo LNB is the LNB of choice!

yan75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Slingbox HD.
My Location
Cyprus Limassol
What are the octo LNBs like? Are they as good as the invacom LNBs?

One final question before I get the installers in, will I be able to get ITV london or will I need to view ITV through the other channels menu?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
yan75 said:
What are the octo LNBs like? Are they as good as the invacom LNBs?

Octo is an 8 output LNb. There performance will be the same as a standard universal LNb.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
The octo lnb is for offset dishes only.Your 3.7m is a prime focus and as far as I know the most is a quad lnb for your dish,but you can fit a quattro lnb with a multiswitch and have from 8 upwards individual outputs.
We can't get ITV London in Cyprus so you will have to watch ITVs stored in "other channels" but will not be able to record from them.
Do you get bbc/itv on your 2.4 / invacom and pace 2600 ?

receygod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.5 m dish
My Location
cyprus
cos32 said:
Hi Yan75

First of all let me say that I am also in Limassol and have a 3.8mtr dish and you
are quite correct with a size that big you will rareley have any problems only in
savear weather.

I also have Sky HD and that works very well and it is exelent there are only 2 channals so far that we can not pick up on HD and unfortunaly BBC HD is one of them.

Just as a footnote. I also Install Satellite systems.

Cos32

Cos32

i have just bought a 2.5 meter dish and i need someone to install it for me at my house in akrotiri. can you give me a quote please? i have a sky box but need a stand and coax.:confused

hibs72

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
core 2 duo 6300, dreambox 800hd,2.7mtr dish sky and ADMC sports
My Location
akrotiri, cyprus
receygod said:
Cos32

i have just bought a 2.5 meter dish and i need someone to install it for me at my house in akrotiri. can you give me a quote please? i have a sky box but need a stand and coax.:confused

try astrosat they are coming to fix mine on monday what street do you live on..

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Try Simon on 99-696889