3 boxes through one LNB lead?

Alan Waddle

Reaction score
i have a multifocus dish with 4 lnb's, which are led thru a 4/1 disecq switch into one lead, which is then fed into 2 digital satellite receivers through a smart priority switch. this works fine when i switch on the box i want to watch and switch off the other one.

the question is, is there a way of feeding THREE boxes to this lead? i'm loooking for a fairly cheap solution so don't want to start changing lnb's or anything like that.

bit surprised i haven't found a priority switch for 3 boxes, do they not exist? one idea i had was using two 2/1 priority switches so that the lnb lead goes into the first switch, this feeds into one box and to the other switch, which then feeds into to the other 2 boxes. would this work, and would the signal be siginifcantly weakened?

grateful for any help on this!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Generally, the advice here would be to swap your LNBs for Twin-outputs, replicate your DiSEqC setup and add the extra cable running to your third box keeping the original cabling setup as it is, that's all I could recommend... :)

Oooor, there's the good old Manual A-B switch, put this before the Auto-switch on the "A" port, and hook up the extra box to the "B" port, that could work... :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Errm

Change the LNBs for Quads, and get two more Diseqc switches and more cable. Honestly, I could't be bothered faffing about with these half-measures.:-rofl2It will always be a compromise. The manual A-B switches should work though.:)

Robbo:)

driver

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
gb sat reciever.
fixed dishes on 5,13,16,19 e
1 west
windows xp
My Location
southwest uk
hi m8 , robbo71 is right.

however first thing is to run a new cable,you may decide to send one box a different lnb out put temporarily.
dual or more output lnbs could be added one at a time as cost could be a limiting factor.always try to leave flexibility for expansion of system,i speak from experience,lol

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
In theory yes, but all ports on that splitter have a DC pass, so you would have to make sure at least two of your receivers were off when using the third one or you will be attempting to power up you LNB with a paralleled voltage supply with unexpected results.

Llew

Alan Waddle

Reaction score
Llew said:
In theory yes, but all ports on that splitter have a DC pass, so you would have to make sure at least two of your receivers were off when using the third one or you will be attempting to power up you LNB with a paralleled voltage supply with unexpected results.

Llew

thanks. when you say "at least two of the receivers" you mean exactly two, right?

what do you mean by unexpected results; if this accidentally happened could i manage to break the boxes?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Yes, two off. The least that could happen is that with one box switched to receive horizontal channels (18V), this would take priority and you would be unable to receive vertical channels on another box.

I suspect you could also damage the LNB or even the other receiver(s).