3 metre satellite dish, What can i do with it??

Klufley

Reaction score
hi my dad's buisness finished a few months ago and he brought home a 3m in diameter satellite dish. The only thing im not sure is what i can do with it and what is the benefits of having a large dish?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Depends on where you are and what you want to view, as to how much use it will be, also what type of LNB it has and what equipment you have.

It's always fun to point the dish at a satellite not intended for transmission in your location, just to see what is on there.

Klufley

Reaction score
Yeah i live in Australia so would i still have the ability to view UK and USA channels???
i have all the equipment required as we just took all the equipment needed home although it the satellite hasnt been mounted yet.
If i could view overseas television would it be free to view???

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some satellite TV is free to view, you can find what is available at www.lyngsat.com , find out your longitude and then look at the satellites up to 60 degrees either side of it, whether you can see them will depend on lines of sight and dish size required for the footprint. To find the footprint, click on the satellite name in the far right column.

You can find your longitude at www.heavens-above.com

Klufley

Reaction score
ok thanx so are some free to view and others you need subscriptions such as foxtel

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, they will normally have the encryption listed, if it just says DVB, then they are free to air.