Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Does anyone use a 3G Mobile Dongle as their primary means of obtaining Interwebthingy access at home?

ADSL here is dire, though we do have an alternative Community Microwave system at 25Mbps but is somewhat expensive.

I see you can now get 3GB Monthly Download for around £10 with one of these devices, at up to (!) 2.7 MBps, which would be unheard of luxury for me.

As we rarely use the landline for calls, I am contemplating going from PAYG to a Contract with one of our Mobile Phones so I can rid myself of 7km of ancient copper.

So, any tales - good or bad - about Dongle based access would be welcome.

I understand there are also MiFi devices to re-create the equivalent of a Home Network, too.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I assume you have good indoor 3G coverage in your area for the network in question? Otherwise it'll be slow 2G internet or cutting out a lot if the dongle is in a bad reception area of your house.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That's one of the unknowns at present - the T-Mobile coverage map suggests we're in a strong signal area, but as you say it's the reality (especially indoors!) wot matters.

And the only true test is to use one - but the only way to do that is to buy one. DAB Radio syndrome (and early DTT - actually, in our case, DTT of any vintage!).

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I used 3G for about 1,5 years at home. Connected it to router, so several PCs could use Internet. When you have almost no choice than 3G is an option. Now I use this Dongle only on move like right now, still works. We have unlimited download/upload for about 25EUR (for less money possible to get Internet but with download limitation). You better check if you have good coverage of 3G otherwise that will be painful usage. We have maximum G3 download speed about 7 Mb/s.
But, that all in Latvia.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well my friend has found 02 expensive as he has had a dongle for the last 18 months having said that he found it expensive despite himself being a novice/limited user, the reason being that they do not roll over your unused allowance to the next month so unused time is wasted time which you have paid for. Also taking advantage of their offers of paying a bit more for double the allowance means you also lose that after 31 days as well, the mobile companies need better controls placing on them.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
And here operators usually agree to give dongle for 1 week test, after test you bring it back or make agreement for longer period. That is no additionally charged.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I assume you don't get the equivalent of an ISP EMail address with them, but rely on free or existing addresses?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Tivù said:
I assume you don't get the equivalent of an ISP EMail address with them, but rely on free or existing addresses?
with 02 you do get an address I believe

gsteigwiler

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020HD / DM800HD
Dream Elite 4.0
CCcam/Scam/gbox
Motorised 1Metre dish
Sony 40 inch Full HD TV
Vista Network
My Location
East Anglia
Hi,

I cant comment on 3G in the UK but we have a Swisscom 3G setup in our rented apartment in Switzerland, we have a router for a laptop and a dreambox,
we love it, and its better , more reliable and faster than our ADSL at home , although somewhat expensive

hope it helps
regards

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
All good comments, thanks.

Cost is coming down rapidly and speed and download limits are already acceptable - in principle!

I think coverage within the house is probably the critical factor and I shall have to figure out a way to test it without cost!

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
If some ISP (land or mobile) gives you e-mail address it does not mean you should use it. I like my hotmail, Latvian inbox.lv and not anymore Yahoo cuz it let spam messages in about 10 per day.
Edit: but if you going to use router than it is possible to find proper place at home where 3G reception is best and then just go wireless from router to all devices you need.
Tivù said:
get the equivalent of an ISP EMail address with them, but rely on free or existing addresses?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, I've just been reading about the "Wireless Pointer" which can accommodate 5 devices. I can cope with that.

But the "Wireless Pointer" is a battery operated box and I'd like to know if my existing Wireless Router can be pressed into service somehow.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
It depends what kind of router you have and if it is possible to put alternative software on it. I have Linksys WRT54G3GV2-VF, which by origin has 3G possibility. BTW market now full of routers (not so expensive) ready to 3G.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Excellent - I feel a Project coming on!

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
You can also buy external directional GSM aerials with couplers that fit over the dongle or connect directly if there is an option to do that. They where quite popular in Finland where many people have summer cottages in remote areas and find they have limited mobile reception but these days mobile coverage is pretty good everywhere so aren't as easy to find.

Edit: Just found this but pricey:
_h ttp://www.clasohlson.com/uk/LDPA-044+ADPT-026-3G-Modem-Directional-Antenna-Kit/Pr383932000

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
2 timo_w2s: I wonder if those antennas were made by NOKIA. :-clap I just returned from reception at your Embassy, drunk some wine and been eating delicious food.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
RimaNTSS said:
2 timo_w2s: I wonder if those antennas were made by NOKIA. :-clap I just returned from reception at your Embassy, drunk some wine and been eating delicious food.
The ones I've seen in Finland where made by Nokia, not sure on that one I linked to.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
By saying NOKIA wished to say; Happy Independence Day. Should also be mentioning F1 pilots and good sportsmen/women, great country.

RimaNTSS said:
made by NOKIA.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Go with Three, they were designed for 3G, and with 4G rolling out they're pretty much ahead of the game in terms of getting the technology together compared to the other major networks... :)

Using a Dongle can be annoying though, for one, if you use it on a laptop, you have the issue of it not getting enough signal, having to move about to get the best signal (think; analogue TV with an indoor aerial and waving the aerial about to get a good signal), the networks can get slow at peak times cos of kids downloading youtube videos and checking their anti-social networks, and of course it is susceptible to interference...

BUT, on the plus side, it's mobile, so you can take your internet access with you, speeds are exceeding the "lower class" ADSL lines, you can get routers into which you can connect the dongle or stick your SIM card into, so it can be like having regular landline broadband, and of course you can connect them to external antennas to boost the signals... :)

But definitely go with Three, they're very cost effective and very reliable... :)

A nonymous

Reaction score
Tivu i have a 3G T-Mobile dongle if you want it. You will just need to put a pay as you go sim in it. It has all the software installed on it already, it also works with most flavours of Linux. You justy put it into your PC and it installs itself.

You will however need to register a credit card, or go into a T-Mobile shop with ID if you wish to use gambling or mature content sites :D If you use a new SIM it will have an age lock on it preventing minors from accessing certain sites. It works fine on all sites once the age lock has been removed.

I used to use it when i was working in London. Its of little use to me now. It would save you the hassle of getting a contract.

You will only need to spend £2 to see how good the coverage is where you live. If its crap you've only lost £2.

PM me your address and i'll try and get it in the post to you today.

Unlike the other providers, if you do go over you download limit, it won't cut you off. You just won't be able to download music or films, you will only be able to use it for surfing.

Nano