4.5M dishes

G

gcohen

Does anyone have any information on the relative performance of the Prodelin 4.5M and Patriot 4.5M dishes on Ku band. On paper the Patriot is better but a Prodelin dealer has said that the Patriot figures are not correct (he would wouldn't he !).

Geoffrey

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I have no figures here on the Patriot, but their website should liberate the numbers, even if they are 'massaged'

The Prodelin 1451 can be bought as a single or dual polarity version at ku band, specifications and a pdf file of the manual are attached. Being a 16 piece fibreglass dish (actually 24, but outer panels are already assembled in twos) and galvanised steel, it outlast mesh designs and most of the cheaper steel constructed dishes on the market today.

You will need a big garden, and a large spade as the foundation kit for the mount is enormous, but to their credit, the post is thrown in with the cost.

Elsewhere in the forum are a couple of pictures of one (actually four) I prepared earlier when in Dubai last year. Even with seven helpers, they are quite a handful.

C

Coca-Cooper

Do you think it's safe to mount these dishes on a flat concrete roof?

My roof is about 30cm thick . . . .

G

gcohen

Baird Satellite Supporting Systems (part of Baird Industries, Inc) produce a Non Penetrating mount with an adapter kit for the Proddelin 4.5M antenna. The mount is 16Ft by 16FT and Baird will calculate the ballast needed if you tell them the conditions (ie wind speeds). It is expensive ! The contact info is :

Jeff Kaufman
Baird Satellite Supporting Systems
ph:319-233-3561
fax:319-235-7653
email: baird@forbin.net

Coca-Cooper said:

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
If its for Cyprus then a 3.8m is enough.How much is the 4.2 anyway?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
To Channel Hopper.

Can you tell me if you got BBc and ITV in Dubai?Also I have a request from somebody in Oman who wants to know what size dish for BBC.Anybody have a clue?

Elsewhere in the forum are a couple of pictures of one (actually four) I prepared earlier when in Dubai last year. Even with seven helpers, they are quite a handful.

frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
Coca-Cooper said:

Should be safe enough I have just fitted an offset on the roof of a bar which has a concrete roof 30 cm thick. The dish measures 4.2m bt 3.8m. Great reception. Here is a picture.
I used 12mm and 16mm bolts to secure it.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Coca-Cooper said:

Providing you use (enough) good quality rawbolts you should be safe on 30cm concrete.I use 8x20mm rawbolts to secure 4.2m Jonsa's.

iceman

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
frassle said:
Should be safe enough I have just fitted an offset on the roof of a bar which has a concrete roof 30 cm thick. The dish measures 4.2m bt 3.8m. Great reception. Here is a picture.
I used 12mm and 16mm bolts to secure it.

Nice dish ! How much?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It looks like the first generation of the Prodelin 1381 model

No longer made like that , the later ones have additional reinforcement ribs on the fiberglass (but there is a manufacturing plant in India that may still make them as they have the old presses)

Its actually a transmit antenna with approvals for F1 Intelsat, and so the reflector design will have very good gain, when used in receive mode. Should be able to pull in most satellite transponders above Cyprus

http://www.tripointglobal.com/Prodelin/Manuals/4096-442.pdf

Ive never seen one used at Ku band, but the claimed performance of nearly 52dB puts a lot of other designs to shame

A bargain if you paid less than $8000 for it - they would have cost over $16000 new

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
The prodelein 3.7m prime focus works well in Cyprus and it can be supplied and fitted for less then cy3500 pounds

Channel Hopper said:

No longer made like that , the later ones have additional reinforcement ribs on the fiberglass (but there is a manufacturing plant in India that may still make them as they have the old presses)

Its actually a transmit antenna with approvals for F1 Intelsat, and so the reflector design will have very good gain, when used in receive mode. Should be able to pull in most satellite transponders above Cyprus

Ive never seen one used at Ku band, but the claimed performance of nearly 52dB puts a lot of other designs to shame

A bargain if you paid less than $8000 for it - they would have cost over $16000 new

frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
Channel Hopper said:

I think you are right it was used to transmit, the omt and bits are still there.
It was actually a second hand one bought for £1200
Those bits on the back are de-icers, not much of a need for them in Cyprus.
When I found it some local lad had tried to set it up as a prime focus by the angle he had it on. So we just made a new frame for it to get the right angle and the signal cane screaming in.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
frassle said:
I think you are right it was used to transmit, the omt and bits are still there.
It was actually a second hand one bought for £1200
Those bits on the back are de-icers, not much of a need for them in Cyprus.
When I found it some local lad had tried to set it up as a prime focus by the angle he had it on. So we just made a new frame for it to get the right angle and the signal cane screaming in.

Is that in Paphos?How does the signal compare with smaller dishes(3m/2.7m)?

frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
zorba said:
Is that in Paphos?How does the signal compare with smaller dishes(3m/2.7m)?
Yes it's in Paphos down bar street.
Signal wise on my meter with a 2.7 I am happy with a BER of 1 x 10-5 or at best touching about 7 x 10-6 on BBC
with this one I was achieving 10-8 steadily.