bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
hi i was looking for a external amplifier with up to 4 ports which can be remotely powered from 4 town houses. so they can all use 1 aerial. i have used antiferance 4 way mast head with variable gain which can be powered from any output. but can all so be powered from all of them although this is not what it was designed for. i checked with antiferance and the said although it was not designed for that it has been used for that application with no problems. my concern in using this amp in future was a recent artical on sharing satellite dishes and and problems if the electrical supply is not on the same phase. i not sure if this will effect a shared amp powered remotely from 4 separate dwelling. i have done a goggle search with no luck.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
If your considering installing a shared aerial/ communal MATV system, even though it's only 4 outlets, don't forget to earth the input and outputs cables to the PME (primary main earth) as per BE EN 60728-11.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
do u think earthing would be necessary as it is not a public building just residential.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure how well you can earth it, as there would not be a common earth to the houses.

It is certainly not something I would recommend, how good is the reception in that location? Would it be good enough for a super high gain antenna and a passive four way passive masthead splitter (normal insertion loss around 7db)?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Isolated outlet plates could be used to prevent the transfer of dangerous voltages through out the cable network between outlets. EMC codes apply. The provision of isolation OR earth bonding is intended to provide protection by ensuring that is either prevented from entering the system OR is disconnected by the operation of the appropriate over current protection device RCD.

All types of master Antenna Television distribution systems need to be earthed as per 60728-11:2005 standards, even only 2 points if it's a separate dwelling (MDU's).

I have to disagree with you here Rolf, I'm afraid.

New standards will be coming in very soon regarding the earthing of larger domestic systems with more than 4 'IF' outlets.

Example:

One dish with QUAD LNB feeding 4 townhouses with a single 'IF' feed.

This system will need to be EARTHED.

:eek:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, but what I'm saying is, the four houses will not have a common earth, they will have four separate earths and I'm not sure how that would affect the RCDs in the different houses.

It would be far better if a passive system is possible.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
A valid point Rolf but a touchy subject:)

A passive system would work in this case as long as no amplification was required for the correct signal levels

I would at the very minimum, provide isolated outlets on the above installation as it's a shared system.