40 metres of sat cable - where to buy?

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I need some decent satellite coax (not an expert but I think CT100 or WF100 are meant to be the ones to go for) - what comes with those Lidl dishes is that thin stuff that can't stay inside an F connector!

So where would be a good place to purchase that kind of amount? And are the two types of cable really what I want or is there a better type?

I don't mind buying off of eBay.

FWIW the reason I need that much is that I've got a twin tuner satellite receiver and I bought two Portys for other people - I'm not starting my own cable network or anything like that!

Cheers in advance guys.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Better than the "CT100" 1mm core type cable is the "125" cable 1.25mm core, gives lower loss over that distance. You can get it from some satellite wholesalers, along with the larger "F" connectors, but not all.

If the distances are less than 20 or 30m, then CT100, or WF100 will be absolutely fine, most satellite/aerial suppliers wll carry an equivalent, don't accept the cheap non-copper screen versions..

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you can find a supplier, get a full reel (100m). This is the minimum reel which means no additional through costs. You will also have some left over for your 'network' if you need it. :)

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
rolfw said:
Better than the "CT100" 1mm core type cable is the "125" cable 1.25mm core, gives lower loss over that distance.

The 40mtrs (or thereabouts) is going to be split up into 4 pieces of differing length.

rolfw said:
...along with the larger "F" connectors, but not all.

I've got a shedload of F connectors (I think they're all the larger size - unless there's more than two sizes?!?).

rolfw said:
If the distances are less than 20 or 30m, then CT100, or WF100 will be absolutely fine, most satellite/aerial suppliers wll carry an equivalent, don't accept the cheap non-copper screen versions..

Ah, cool. Do you know of a good online retailer and what prices I should expect to pay?

Cheers

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Channel Hopper said:
If you can find a supplier, get a full reel (100m). This is the minimum reel which means no additional through costs. You will also have some left over for your 'network' if you need it. :)

Well if it's easier to get a whole 100mtrs I will. I guess with the leftovers I could replace the crumby Argos satellite extension cable my parents used in their house when they decided to rearrange the living room! Their Sky+ doesn't need any extra reasons to play up!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Maplins do 100M reels of CT100 / CT125 compatible cable (£40 /£60 respectively). Not particularly cheap, but if you're near a shop, will save on postage.

Llew

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
And, you could always give your TV aerial a late Christmas present if there is a suitable length left over if you can get a belling lee to fit it.

L.:)

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Llew said:
Maplins do 100M reels of CT100 / CT125 compatible cable (£40 /£60 respectively). Not particularly cheap, but if you're near a shop, will save on postage.

Llew

Eek(!) and nope, not near a Maplin (although they're supposedly opening one up sometime next month). I'd imagine that amount of cable would be pretty heavy as well - I don't have a car...

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Lancelot said:
And, you could always give your TV aerial a late Christmas present if there is a suitable length left over if you can get a belling lee to fit it.

There's a communal aerial where I live and, after I complained about it, it works perfectly - not that I both with terrestrial TV these days!

Looks like I'm just gonna have to buy smaller bits of cable off of eBay.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I got mine here:

_http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Cable_PF/index.html

£19 + vat for 100m roll. Equivalent to CT100 in spec.

Delivery is £4.99 + vat, or you can pick up from one of several stores nationwide (err, well south mainly).

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Cheers BGonaSTICK, I've ordered the 100m from there. Did some quick research and it looks like your spot on! Should definately beat the RG59 that came with the Lidl/Porty equipment. The last straw was the other day when installing my sister's - the cable just keeps coming out of the F connector!

And hopefully it'll improve reception / remove the breakup I get from time to time on 2 Hispa frequencies.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
BGonaSTICK said:
I got mine here:

_http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Cable_PF/index.html

£19 + vat for 100m roll. Equivalent to CT100 in spec.

Delivery is £4.99 + vat, or you can pick up from one of several stores nationwide (err, well south mainly).
I second that (BGonaStick beat me to it!), the TLC stuff is pretty good, I have several terrestrial aerials run in it, and just started putting my dish up today, and its pretty easy stuff to work with as well, fits the F-Connectors perfectly and so far no copper sheath related injuries!

TLC are also pretty good in general, used them for a few years for everything from 6way TV boosters to an entire house worth of fittings from consumer unit down recently for my sister. Always friendly and usually reliable!

Paul

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Yeah, I've used them before - I bought remote controlled/touch dimmers from them. They worked great until I tried turning the two in my living room on at the same time (I must've caused a "circuit problem"!) Anyway, it was a problem caused by me! One of them still works great though.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Skip Channel said:
I've got a shedload of F connectors (I think they're all the larger size - unless there's more than two sizes?!?).
There are certainly 3 sizes to my knowledge.

The very small one for "shotgun" twin feeder
The standard sized one for ordinary CT100
A larger one for CT125

I believe that there is an even larger diameter / lower loss cable known as CT167. Presumably there is another F connector for this also.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Shows you what I know then!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
A possible source of CT100 - Do you know a $ly installer? Or be bold and the next time you see a $ly At Home van go and ask.

You never know :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, there are more than that even, but most places sell only the ones for CT/WF100, as very few people use bigger cable than that. :)

frund

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triax 1.1 tm 1500ci+ dm patch. Moteck 2100. Intel 4300 based pc . LG7500. 32" lcd
My Location
Wales. UK.
Just to add to above, I got mine from a local Electrical wholesaler used by local electrical contractors So this type of outlet may be worth a phone call If it's used by the trade its uaually ok.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I should point out that I did buy the cable from TLC and delivery is free apparently (on tuesday/thursday). So cheers to you all and especially to BGonaSTICK!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, roll on Tuesday! :D