500s got enough memory?

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
hi folks.

i've been quite excited about the idea of buying a dreambox500s. but apparently it's a bit short on memory to be able to properly softcam? i'd be aiming to open hispasat and hotbird... can you please advise me? doi i really need to mount some disk space on a networked pc?

i do realise that the new 500pvr might come out one day... but probably a wee bit more expensive?

i really need a 12v machine though, so i'm not thinking about getting a 5600 one.

cheers

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I'm running Gemini 2.4 and newcamd 6.04 and it won't record encrypted channels although I can watch them OK inc. TPS and 30W. If I changed to camd it would record OK but I haven't done it yet ;)

If you want to record then yes, you do need to mount your PC disk space. But there is an easy to follow guide by PCD telling you exactly how to do it. :)

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Why not wait a few days, and buy a second hand 7000 or even better a 7020s

I am sure they will drop in price when the new 7025 enters the scene

Then U have everything U ever need:-thumbup

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
hi, thanks for the advice
unfortunatly i'm looking for a model that runs on 12v dc... but when exactly are those boxes you refer to being sold :D lol

mhku, otherwise, 500s got enough memory and resources to run all emu softly? without having to mount a swap on a hard disk?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Yes, it works fine without mounting a PC drive- you just won't be able to record any programs.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cool cheers then mateys