5620 or 7000 mmmmmmmmmm

ajmac42

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Gotta few questions that i'm hoping you knowledgable folks can answer for me, creep creep :D

I'm currently running a Technomate 5500CI Super, Matrix Rev. V2.11, Diseqc motored 80cm dish. Its good but am getting a wee bit P*ssed off with the intialising cam logo every 20 mins )(-red

Soooooo i wanna dreamyyyyy box, question is which one 5620 or 7000, yeah i know you've heard it before, but go on help, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Question 1, Are all images compatible with each model e.g. will a 7000 image work on a 5620 ?

Question 2, I've heard of people still using a matrix rev, magic cam etc... in the dreambox, surely this isn't necessary with such a wide choice of available images, or am i missing something ( wouldn't be the first time ;) )

Question 3, Does the dreambox do USALS , i've heard it doesn't; surely this ain't true ?

And finally...... do all you 7000 owners reckon its worth the extra beer vouchers over the 5620 ?

Most of all i need ya opinions guys, which is the BEST.

Thanx in advance ya'll :)

mmmmmmm..... just heard about the 7080. Ohh Bum... another choice to make, i want.. i want.. any idea's on a release date ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No.
Sometimes.
Supposed to, but doesn't work with all images.
Yes in my case. :)

ajmac42

Reaction score
Thanx for the reply Rolfw,

A man of few words huh ;)

With ref to the 'Sometimes' can ya give a reason why it might be necassary to use a separate cam ?

Thanx M8

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sometimes a particular package might drop of the image emulator, Conax for instance and another card/cam may be necessary, perhaps one of the X packages, but as a rule it isn't needed. :)

ajmac42

Reaction score
Thanx Rolfw

Looks like i'm gonna have to go easy on the 'Stella' and get a 7000.

Life's tough Huh :D

Thanx again.

Andy

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There are a lot of guys running the 5620 and very happy with it, T_G is one of them, just that i prefer the integral hard drive, rather than mounting an external one in my PC say. Did see a nice network drive at www.redstore.com though, a 120GB drive with wifi and RJ45 connection, can sit on the network and be shared between the DB and PC. :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
There is no doubt as to which is the best. It's the 7000. All you need to do is to decide how much ($$) you need the extra features!

The 5620 rocks, but I wouldn't be without my PVR facility now. Also great for loading images. I've even used it for temporarily backing up my PC to!

STICK

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
Hi ajmac42
Rolfw was temp a man of few words because answers to all yr questions are available at the touch of a key.
T_G has put up the idiot's guide. He says there and repeats elsewhere what happens if you put a 7000 image onto a 5620. It isnt really an issue.
There are so many 7000 images available and so many for 5620 that it would be perverse to deliberately try one on the other. If you do it by accident, then you hit the buffers, but can easily recover.

If I apply simply logic, I dont think there are many people around who bought a 5620 and said 'what shit' and swapped it for a 7000. Nor vice versa. So few people, except maybe traders, have experience of both. So if you find someone who has traded one for the other, get him to tell us why. (Its not sexist to say 'him' is it? Women don't seem to do it, -- Dreamboxing is like undertaking.) And of course Dreamboxes themselves are a bit like women. We can all say the one we have is the best.

Also, you are right, it would also be perverse to spend say Eu100 on a hard cam if you can download a soft version of it. But if you already had a hard cam, you would at least give it a try in the cam slot.

My advice, ajmac42, is to run, not walk to your nearest Dreambox supplier. Get one, make it work and tell us what you have done.