5620 or 7000

bob49

Reaction score
Darreen said:
Normal Cat5 cable with a router will be fine

Im in a similar situation myself, desiding what model of dreambox to purchase 7000/5620/500. I've been lurking around a few forums for the last weeks reading up on what people have to say.

The 7000 with its USB and HD support does sound very useful for image swapping but its costs that extra £120 or so, the 5620 does sound a good entry level box to experiment with, but many people mention about its low memory space which can fill up very rapidly.

Then we come to the disccusions about the tuner quality on the 7000/5620 not being so good and the 500 having a better one, but the 500 has a cut down remote control.

Im personally thinking about getting a 5620 and if my new found interest/hobby takes off i maybe get myself a 7020 in the future.

I consider myself quite competent with computers and networking so i dont see a problem connecting to the dreambox or configuring it

I plan at first to use the old sky dish thats still connected on the wall outside, until I've saved abit more cash up for a proper dish with a multi LNB on it

Have any other UK people here had much trouble with the tuner quality on the 5620 or problems with the memory getting full too quick ?

Any tips/advice would be gratefully recieved

Darreen

Hi,

Had similar thoughts myself - bought a 5620 because it was an inexpensive 'entry-level' satellite reciever. I wasn't too sure about what it would be able to do, what channels it could get etc.

Bought it a couple of months ago from a German site and since then it has to be the second-best electronic thing I've bought. (Number 1 is Tivo) Connected into a home network with broadband access (Number 3 is wireless adsl modem/router/firewall) it is amazing.

Mine has worked from day one, no problems. It does not need to be earthed - earthing cannot and will not make it more reliable. An unreliable or spiky mains supply might, in which case use a surge-protected mains extender.

My advice - buy it but you'll need a reasonable sized dish. 60 cm gets you Astra 1 in SE of UK, 80 cm gets you Astra1 and Hotbird, 90cm gets you Thor. If you want to upgrade after 6 months then E-bay prices match the German retail price.

If you can afford it then go for the 7000 straight away - you can then plug in memory sticks, compact flash, hard disc etc which gives you a lot more and allows you to play with images, record stuff etc. If you just want to watch the channels then a 5620 is fine.

Just my 2p worth.

Bob

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
bob49 , do you in any way regret no buying the 7000 instead?

People say that not having the USB for extra memory is a pain?

How long did did it take for an update for the recent seca2 stuff, after it 1st appeared on the humax (i think it was?)

cheers

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
bob49 said:
Hi,

My advice - buy it but you'll need a reasonable sized dish. 60 cm gets you Astra 1 in SE of UK, 80 cm gets you Astra1 and Hotbird, 90cm gets you Thor. If you want to upgrade after 6 months then E-bay prices match the German retail price.

Bob

Just a mention on dish size and eBay prices. I got asked by a friend to comment on an eBay ad for an Arcon sweety 56cm where the seller said it was his belief that it performed like a 90cm normal dish. Never fall for this. Sheer physics says the arcon will receive 39% of the signal recieved by a 90 cm dish. If they have the same lnb noise figure then the arcon will only match a 90cm dish if the arcon dish surface is 100% efficient and the 90cm is 39% efficient, i.e. bent, twisted and warped. Typical efficiencies are 70%. It is wishful thinking to imagine that as a general rule, the arcon surface will be so much better than any other manufacturers. This arcon had 0.7dB noise. So a 90 cm dish with a 0.3dB lnb whacks the arcon into oblivion. I told the seller and eBay that the ad violated the laws of physics and neither took any notice. It went for at least £70. That told me a lot about eBay. Hope no one here says they bought it. PS, I have an arcon 56cm, bought in Germany when 0.7dB meant something. It behaves like a 56cm dish but looks nice.

bob49

Reaction score
homerjay said:
bob49 , do you in any way regret no buying the 7000 instead?

People say that not having the USB for extra memory is a pain?

How long did did it take for an update for the recent S*ca2 stuff, after it 1st appeared on the humax (i think it was?)

cheers

Given the option now, I would go for a 7000. The 5620 is an excellent piece of kit at a very good price bit is limited in memory and although you can use NFS to give extra space, this means a PC running all the time. Although you should be able to record to an NFS file, it doesn't work very well. Playing movie or mp3 files from the PC through the 5620 doesn't want to work either.

As I said, it is very good at receiving and clearing channels using softcams and downloadable keys - it's the extras it doesn't do.

Bob

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
nfs?

every consider selling yours (at a nice discounted price to a follow poster) and buying a 7000?

:D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
If you really want to play silly beggars, then the USB stick allows you to go crazy with new images, and just delete them when they're shot. None of this 'risky' flashing business as such.

Best add-on I've ever bought.

educabrera

Reaction score
can anybody tell me how to trasfer files from my pc to my reciver do i need a software or how is the procedure to update my reciver i'm very new here and i just wanna update my reciver

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Please start a new thread in the appropriate section.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
BGonaSTICK said:
If you really want to play silly beggars, then the USB stick allows you to go crazy with new images, and just delete them when they're shot. None of this 'risky' flashing business as such.

Best add-on I've ever bought.

Again, i was so close to buying a 5620 today, but u just changed my mind again!

cheapest 7000 i can find is £265 + p&p, is this as cheap as it gets?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Honestly m8, my advice would be that if you're not sure, go for the 7000S.

Got mine from HM-sat.de with a 120GB disk fitted for £300 inclusive of all taxes, charges, postage and packing. 5-day delivery via UPS tracked.

As someone else said, they re-sell well if you think you made a mistake.

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

1.8m Channel Master soon to be installed
My Location
Doncaster
homerjay said:
Oh and at the minute my Big Sat controls my Diseqc Motor, because i dont seem to be able to get my Skystar 2 to do it, not sure why?
Same here, what problem do you have ? My problem is the Diseqc plugin moves the dish too far past the selected satellite, the only satellite it works ok on is Hispasat for some reason. I eventually gave up with it cos it was getting me )(-red

At least now with the Dreambox, I can call the engineer out and get him to set it up as he has one too :)

homerjay said:
djc: the sat-dream shop looks a bargain, i'd be interested if anybody had used em before! Have you tried emailing them to see if they will deliver to UK. Usually find German Online Shops quite helpfull, ive used a couple in my time.
Ordered mine last night from that dvb-shop24 on ebay.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
homerjay said:
john:

i currently have a skystar 2, nearly had it a couple of years now, and have built a HTPC which i was gonna stream to. Only problem is no HTPC software really supports DVB-S and MDPlugins to make user friendly for the the missus.

So i got hold of a Big Sat 8000 Deluxe, for free, but that is seriously lacking in ability and support, TPS is all i can get at the minute, no S*ca2.

Oh and at the minute my Big Sat controls my Diseqc Motor, because i dont seem to be able to get my Skystar 2 to do it, not sure why?

djc: the sat-dream shop looks a bargain, i'd be interested if anybody had used em before! Have you tried emailing them to see if they will deliver to UK. Usually find German Online Shops quite helpfull, ive used a couple in my time.

Got mine from satboy and ordered 2 more off them with no trouble, Delivered promptly and well packed.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
so for the 5620

£145 delivered from satboy
£149 delivered from dvb-shop24 on ebay

where as a 7000 is gonna be closer to £300 with the usb mem stick...

so i think i will go for a 5620 for now, i can always sell it and get a 7000 at later date.

thanks for the info all..

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
homerjay said:
so for the 5620

£145 delivered from satboy
£149 delivered from dvb-shop24 on ebay

where as a 7000 is gonna be closer to £300 with the usb mem stick...

so i think i will go for a 5620 for now, i can always sell it and get a 7000 at later date.

thanks for the info all..

Cool. Welcome to the club!

The only bad decision you could have made was to not get one at all!! :)

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

1.8m Channel Master soon to be installed
My Location
Doncaster
homerjay said:
Thats what my line of thinking was too.

Now all I need is one of those Null Modem cables, anyone recommend where to get one ?

Cheers

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
The cheaper one might be suitable for some peoples needs.Some just want to get up and running and watch TV.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
How much memory does the 5620 have installed out of the crate?

Dream say "Up to 64 MByte of RAM" in the spec, but for the 7000 they just say "64 MByte of RAM".

I've always wondered about this, but never got around to finding out. If it was under, it would definitely be worth sticking the extra in.