60cm Transparent Dishes

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
Hi All,

I have a 85cm Metronic clear dish on a motor at the moment, and am thinking about adding a fixed dish for Astra 28.2 (no sly, so would make total dishes 2).

I think Metronic made the dish I have, and they make a 60cm one, any pointers where I might find a supplier at a good price? Farnell have them at £80, but I have never found Farnell's prices to be that competitive so I am assuming they are available cheaper elsewhere maybe? Found them for the same price at _http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/clearmenu.htm or £89 with "Titanium 0.1db LNB", or £28 for an upgrade to same thing in Quad output. Never used that supplier, can't say I like the website design, but I guess that does not affect the performance of the goods!

Anyone got an opinion on that LNB? Suggestions for half decent alternative, ideally in Quad, would possibly settle for dual.

Paul

EDIT: Sorry my bad on the link, _forgot

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Why not use a standard minidish Paul?

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
are you trying to hide the dish??
60 cm dish runs about 15 euro.
2 output lnb runs about 15 as well
if you are going to use the system a 60 cm should be ok in the uk.
80 cm solid runs about 20 euro.
i can not see paying 80 euro because its transparent unless you don't want it not seen.
mini dish is a 45 cm dish in that area.
a quad lnb is only if you are running 4 lines to 4 decoders in the house.
if the are onlt 2 tv sets then a dusl should be ok.
ralph:)

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
Sorry, did not get email alerts, my fault for not ticking the right boxes.

Rolf, did consider sly dish, I understood the LNB mounting bracket was slightly different, not sure if this limited my options for a Quad LNB to ones that fit the sky dish or needed bracket adapter though?

I like the clear ones, as they are slightly less obtrusive as they are on the front side corner of the house.

Bit confused on Quad versus Quattro LNB's though? I assumed a Quad was 4 LNB's in one package, where each LNB can have its polarity selected individually by a separate receiver? (which is the one I think I want?)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
OldBen said:
Rolf, did consider sly dish, I understood the LNB mounting bracket was slightly different, not sure if this limited my options for a Quad LNB to ones that fit the sky dish or needed bracket adapter though?

Sky quads and octos are the most commonly available however standard 40mm collar lnb's are available from many manufacturers as this is now the only way to have independant channel selection in the home on separate tv's, see the site sponsors for purchase details

http://www.satellites.co.uk/default.php?page=sponsors

OldBen said:
I like the clear ones, as they are slightly less obtrusive as they are on the front side corner of the house.

Horses for courses and of course keeping the peace with the neigbours, however you can under the law have two dishes on your property one 90cm and one 60cm in most circumstances and mostlocal authorities, only private landlords tend to impose restrictions but they may soon have to re-evaluate thos old restrictions with the implementation of digital

OldBen said:
Bit confused on Quad versus Quattro LNB's though? I assumed a Quad was 4 LNB's in one package, where each LNB can have its polarity selected individually by a separate receiver? (which is the one I think I want?)

You are correct and you do not really need a quattro and switch unless planning a full SMATV system

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks Topper, I did trawl the sponsors page first, but it was a bit random as to who stocks what, will have to go through them all again now I have a better idea what I want. I have a 85cm already, so 60cm within planning, not sure what neighbours will say but opposite and next door that are most affected have moved in since the dish has been up so can't complain. Every house bar ours and next doors on the entire estate seems to have a sly dish stuck somewhere, and as we all know the installers often go for ease of access not aesthetic choice when it comes to positioning!

I think I just also had it in my head that a standard quad would be lower noise than the sky one, and give a better signal, may or may not be true, same with 60cm vs sly dish as well, more signal = better, one of the feeds will be going into a PC so more signal is better, other ready for new TV next year with freesat (unless freeview HD really takes off quick) and other two "spare" for "future expansion" at the moment ;)

PS thanks for explaining Quattro difference

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ah, ok, I see I can get a sly dish with Quad LNB for £30, where I can't buy a quad LNB on its own in a standard mount for under £40, I can see now why everyone is suggesting that!

Clearly the old business rule of volume lowers price applies!

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello from italy.are you seting up a smatv system for 5 to 10 flats or are you seting this up just for your flat??

if you are doing this just for your flat then how many sky or free view boxes total.
if you are running 2 to 4 boxes the no multiswitch is required at all.
a quarto has 4 outputs and they will run 4 boxes independent fron one another.
you could run 2 freeview in 2 locations as well as sky plus with the hard drive inside and run 2 lines to the sky plus for both inputs as well as 2 freeview in to bedrooms as well.
the smatv 4 output lnb will run a multiswitch that could run 12 to 24 flatts and would require a drop to every flat for the whole building.
may run a few thousand euro.

if we know how many boxed and just your flat the sotry changes

hope i helped
ralph:)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
or you could go for a red colour 68cm penta dish maybe ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not a flat Ralph, it's a house.:)

I'm sure you can site a minidish somewhere where it won't be obtrusive Paul.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
It is just a standard multiroom domestic installation no need for fancy systems bog standard basics, keep it simple and there is less to go wrong

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi all, thanks for help so far.

So simplest solution is sky minidish, they can be had online for £25 with quad LNB so its a cost no-brainer.

Question though about mounting to a pole, I have a nice expanse of substantial (I think its 2") pole available and would rather put the dish on this than drill the wall more. The sky dishes all seem to come with a cheap arm and bracket though, is there an easy way to mount them to a pole with u-brackets? The standard sky dish fixings do not look like they can be adapted for that?

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
OK, getting there, so some of the breakdown's on websites mention pole mounting with a v-bracket, i.e. This kit includes the new Mk4 Raven Sky minidish and the latest compact Zinwell Sky quad LNB, along with brackets and four bolts for wall mounting (if you want to pole mount it you need the V-bolt which is an optional extra).. Can anyone tell me what the maximum pole size is that will fit through the bracket on the standard Sky dish?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
OldBen said:
Can anyone tell me what the maximum pole size is that will fit through the bracket on the standard Sky dish?

Your question is unclear to me are you meaning the length or the diameter of the pole?

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Sorry, I mean the diameter, I am assuming that the sly dishes are all the same fitting, and that the bracket is only going to accept a pole up to a certain diameter? Actually looking at the pole this morning I am sure it will be ok. They seem to be about £30-40 online for Zone 1 and quad LNB, so may as well order one up and see what the fitting is like and what sort of v-bolt is needed.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Early Triax and channelmaster dishes allowed upto a 1.25" mast. You can mount a 2" onto the Raven dish with a suitable U clamp or pole mount kit for Mk4 dishes.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks, I think the mast I have is a 1.5", will check it, the Moteck clamps fit with some spare which makes me think its not a 2", I know its bigger than a 1.25" though I am pretty sure. Found a good source for a dish, so should be set.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just a thought, why not motorise the 85 dish ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just a thought, why not motorise the 85 dish ?

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
it already has a motor, see profile on the left.

The issue is I have a media PC with MythTV and now a DVB-S2 card, and the card is not designed to support a motor. Its supposed to work, but I have had issue in the past getting it to work (Myth runs over Linux). The idea of a second smaller fixed dish is to give reliable simple feed to media PC for BBC HD and other freesat channels (but mainly BBC HD).