68.5 degrees in belfast

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
Hi all i have been looking around on how valid it would to receive setanta Africa in belfast. I have found a valid subsciption as my cousins live there so thats not a problem.The stat's are intelsat 10 12.722H S/R 26657 fec 1/2. I have found conflicting information on what size of dish is needed or indeed if i can be received here in the uk. would a 2.7m channel master do the job or would i need much bigger? I somebody could clarify this for me i would be very greatful as im looking for a new project atm:):)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Forget it - 68.5E is virtually on the horizon in Belfast - its barely visible on the south east coast of England.

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
Analoguesat said:
Forget it - 68.5E is virtually on the horizon in Belfast - its barely visible on the south east coast of England.

That put's it to bed then..Thanks for clarifying that for me AS

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dont know the exact details but its going to be no more than a couple of degrees above the horizon there.

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
I have been investigating further and it seems possible JUST. Looking at the footprint maps on dishpointer i will just be on the cusp of the signal so the next question is what dish size would i get away with 3.5m or above? I was hoping to get away with 3.5m petalized dish for the transit costs.Now i know nothing is exactly accurate with a project like this unless anybody-else out there can confirm they can receive being this far north..Its something im very interested im but i will be taking my time over this one if all goes well it should be summer time by the time of construction.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
hi - Cris 76 -

its not the footprint that will be your problem i,m in north west yorks and i,m able to pick up signals from transponders although weak on the europe- africa beam at 68.5 west including the one you mentioned using a 90 cm dish
its your location thats the problem as you are futher west -- where i am the sat is only 2.4 degrees above the horizon
where you are it 0.2 degrees acording to dishpointer -- even if you were on the coast with a clear view east across the sea i fear its too near the horizon to recieve ---

regards nelson.b.

edit -- if you are lucky enough to have a clear view of the far horizon at 68.5 east it would be interesting to try though with a larger dish .

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Chris76 said:
I have been investigating further and it seems possible JUST. Looking at the footprint maps on dishpointer i will just be on the cusp of the signal so the next question is what dish size would i get away with 3.5m or above? I was hoping to get away with 3.5m petalized dish for the transit costs.Now i know nothing is exactly accurate with a project like this unless anybody-else out there can confirm they can receive being this far north..Its something im very interested im but i will be taking my time over this one if all goes well it should be summer time by the time of construction.

I fear you have no chance mate - if you have ANY obstructions out to your south east - houses trees, a high fence, rising ground it will be obstructed

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Thanks for the reply's nelson and AS. I fear you are both correct so now i am looking for a new project which involves a bigger dish and as this will be my first attempt and anything on this scale i will be looking for some expert advice from you both.im just going to check on VS progress for today im enjoy his determination not to give up.

Chris