7020 over 500

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
maybe its time to get a REAL receiver..... i note the 500s are quite cheap these days. apart from the hard drive option what would be the main features I'd be missing compared to a flag ship 7020?

-cts

Butterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s serving 4 500s. 2 fixed dishes + 1 motor.
Dragon 4.1
My Location
Mayo, Ireland
You can get a HD with the new 500s.
I burned out my 7000s and replaced it with a 500s and there is nothing I cannot do that I was doing.
No problems driving the motor.
There is less choice of image, notably no SDT Da Vinci for 500s.
The remote controls are smaller and less user friendly.
There is no TV-aerial socket, just Scart out.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
Butterbox said:
There is less choice of image, notably no SDT Da Vinci for 500s.

but is the source code for these images publicly available? i.e. could i pick it up and re-compile for the 500, or is it a memroy issue - i.e. it just wouldn't fit!

-cts

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
From Dream... Still no USB stick facility on the 500/6000 AFAIK, which is a major bummer...

The 500 has less RAM than it's current bigger brothers (which have 64Mb).

New Dreamboxes at IFA with
plug & play tuner

Lünen, 4. August 2005. Dream, the leading manufacturer of Linux-based Set-Top-Boxes, presents at the Internationale Funkausstellung in Berlin the new generation of Dreamboxes. Thanks to the plug & play-tuner for digital satellite-, cable-, and antennas reception they provide a maximum of flexibility.

For the interested public Dream introduces for the first time the DM 7025 at the IFA. Beside an enhanced hardware (300 MHz processor, 128 MB DDR RAM, 32 MB flash) the DM 7025 has two pluggable Tuner (plug & play). Due to the twin-tuner and PVR-technology you are able to watch a program while recording another one on the hard disk, which can be provided upon request.

Newly made is also the DM 500 PVR. The smallest Linux-receiver in the world is now equipped with pluggable plug & play single tuner either for DVB-S, -C, and –T. On top of that the PVR-box is featured with a standard 2,5-inch hard disk and hence, becomes most probably the smallest Linux-based hard disk receiver worldwide.

Also the DM 5620 becomes a successor. The DM 6000 has a single-lined, graphic display and can be equipped with a hard disk just like the 7000 series. It also has a pluggable single-tuner and like all other Dreamboxes a 10/100 Mbit compatible Ehternet interface.