80 cm dish

D

digitalguy

hi

can any one please tell me if have i done the right thing my mum and dad keep telling me i have done wrong by getting and 80cm soild dish when i had it put up a few months back some parts was missing so the firm had to find the parts to fit it every think was fine till the very high wind last sunday and now its moved the dish.

they say a small dish would be better than the one i have got up now i have spent over 300 hunderd pounds on this dish and parts and i realy do not want to take it down again .

can some one tell me if this normal for 80cm dishes to move in very high winds if it is then i have one big problem i also have had a 2 60 cm dish in the same pace and they did not move at all and a 45cm sky mini dish there and that did not move but both these dishes was mesh but the first 60 cm dish was soild but .

where it is placed the wind realy comes thought there like a gale and i have been told i can move the dish from where it is they want know more holes make in the house so this might be a very big problem. to sort out.

now thinking of going back down to a small dish again but i realy do not want to at all ? help please

the missing parts was

wall mount
pole
bolts to fit the dish

and i also keep getting told i should have brought it all from the one place.

which dish is the best to have mesh or solid.

not very sure what to do now.

i would realy like as much help on this as possible please.

and to any one who helps or replys thank you very much right now for you help.

hope some can help me
yours
digital guy)(-red
very worred about this.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, an 80cm dish has more surface area, so will offer more wind resistance. That doesn't mean however that it is bound to move in windy conditions, bear in mind also that the winds from last weekend were the worst for fifteen years.

If an 80cm dish is mounted correctly and tightened up properly it should survive all but the worst of winds, I have some fifteen cheap channel master solid 80cm dishes set up in the area for 5W French analogue channels and none of them have moved, even the ones in exposed positions.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It does sound as though the parts bought sepearately to complete the instalation were not matched to the dish you have , or possibly were of a cheap material which would cause the movement

£300 is a LOT of money for a dish of this size

Take some pictures and post them, it might be that I have some bits that will make a good install that are not doing anything useful in the shop

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL......Sorry, but I have this picture in my mind, of a paternal Channel Hopper glaring down at a bracket lounging about in a corner of his shop and asking if if it can't find something useful to do with it's time ;)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yes the madness really has finally kicked in

You ought to see what Ive already thrown out this month, and it hurt to do so

D

digitalguy

Originally posted by Channel Hopper
It does sound as though the parts bought sepearately to complete the instalation were not matched to the dish you have , or possibly were of a cheap material which would cause the movement

£300 is a LOT of money for a dish of this size

Take some pictures and post them, it might be that I have some bits that will make a good install that are not doing anything useful in the shop

digitalguy

i have never had to post pictures on the intrenet if you can tell me how to go on i will then post them latter on.

the dish make is orbital do the parts you are on about cost any money i am just checking this out before i say any more.

hope you can tell me
yours
digital guy:(

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
To attach an image, firstly make sure it is quite a small file size, then when you make your reply post, go to the attach file box underneath the post window and press the choose button. This will then browse your hard drive so that you can navigate to where you have the jpeg or gif stored.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Without pictures its difiicult to know if anything I have surplus can be used

Secondly your location of 'pj' is not too helpful

If you can collect what might help from SW London then theyre free

D

digitalguy

digital guy

very sorry i have know car so i can not get down to pick them up
so thats that i still can not win they say get every think from the one firm and get them to put it up.

just can not win at all
yours
digital guy
theres know point going on with this but if any one else wants to help please feel free to reply.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Little bit early for despair Digitalguy, at least post a picture and we may be able to spot what the problem is, it may not be the equipment, just the way it is installed.

D

digitalguy

Originally posted by digitalguy
digitalguy

i have never had to post pictures on the intrenet if you can tell me how to go on i will then post them latter on.

the dish make is orbital do the parts you are on about cost any money i am just checking this out before i say any more.

hope you can tell me
yours

digitalguy

if you look at my quote i think it say every think i have never have to do this sort of think before so its new to me till i am told how to post pictures on this forum then i can not do this till i have had some help.

thank you to any you can tell me how you do this
yours

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Digitalguy, if you read my post, about five above this, it tells you exactly how to post a picture.:rolleyes:

D

digitalguy

Originally posted by rolfw
Digitalguy, if you read my post, about five above this, it tells you exactly how to post a picture.:rolleyes:

digital guy

thanks rolf w may be some time before i can get this done have to take some pictures first it will be done from my dads computer he has the things on it that i need to do it with

just sent an e mail to sky to see what price they would charge to have an 60 cm sky mini dish and 4 way lnb put back up this is action i realy do not want to take at all but if i have to take it then theres not much choice left at all.

i realy do not know what i was thinking when i brought this 80 cm dish never thought it would be this much trouble i will say this i relay wish i had never moved from my sky mini dish now.

yours
digital guy :(

if i keep thinking about this problem i will drive my self mad
have had to watch dtt for just over a week now so can not wait to get my sky tv back on lne

D

digitalguy

digitalguy

i am not sure what pj is can you just tell me what you mean then i will know for next time round.

just found out what it is know need to reply now may be now i have added them it might be of more help with this problem.
yours
digital guy)(-red

you still can reply if you wish to help with this problem.

D

digitalguy

hello

know need to bother with puting the pictures on the forum now just had some very bad news after all the high winds we have had just had the local firm out to check the dish and he has told me my lnb has gone so i will be comeing back down to a small satellite dish again never had this happen in 13 years and all beacuse i go up in dish size this happens o well.

there is know way i will change my mind on this now the firm is getting back in touch tonight with a price for the new dish

well my dream has had come down with one big bang so it all over.

know way will i ever buy any satellite dishes or lnbs of the internet again only satellite receivers. and other things i want.

yours
digital guy
not i a very good mood right nowO-no
o hell

D

digitalguy

hi

just thought i would all let you know some news i should be back on line with sky digital on wednesday or saturday this week with a brand new smaller dish and 4 way lnb and the big monster is comeing down my 80 cm dish.

and then its to the rubbish tip when its had the hammer to it a few times.

yours
digital guy O-Ha

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, that may seem like a very satisfying short term end to the troublesome item, but one that you may regret in a couple of years time. I would put it in detention in the garden shed, perhaps with time off for good behaviour it could be out in a couple of years. ;)

D

digitalguy

Originally posted by rolfw
LOL, that may seem like a very satisfying short term end to the troublesome item, but one that you may regret in a couple of years time. I would put it in detention in the garden shed, perhaps with time off for good behaviour it could be out in a couple of years. ;)

digitalguy

this dish wont see its use any more when its down its not been right since the first day it was put up.

this dish has had its days of use for ever.
yours
digital guy:D

get it back out in a few years no way

D

digitalguy

hello

just thought i would let you all know the big pain of my life has now gone which was my 80 cm dish they came ond took it down
on thursday 14th november the firm has took the 80 cm dish with them as i did not want it know more

i am now back to the zone 1 sky mini dish size 45 cm and now back on line with sky digital it just shows that there was some wrong with the lnb from the very first day it was put it.

i know i said i would not but and satellite dishes or lnbs of the internet again but i am look at some other dishes it will not be an 80 cm dish at all looking at another 45cm that fools the receiver in to thinking its running of an 80 cm dish and the other one is the

zone 2 sky mini dish but these are all in one pack so there will be know parts missing when i place the order and get it but i will check its all there before i get it put up and i will still keep the dish i have up now as a back up dish

not like the first mini dish i had i got rid of that which i could have had put back up now and saved my self £185.00 pounds but one thing they have got very good signals betwwen 90% and 99% on most channels.

i say this to every one if you have a big dish over 60 cm and its not mesh type then you are in for a lot of trouble my self i will never go above 60 cm dish ever again and it must be mesh and look like the sky mini dishes.

but the good news is back on line with sky digital again after all the trouble i have gone thought

one other good thing it got saved form me giveing it the hammer so that i why i let the firm take it with them if it did not go with them i realy would have done it.

a very big thank you to every one who has tryed to help me

my days of very big satellite dishes are over for ever
yours
digital guy:-righton
problem now sorted and case it now closed

absoluteb

Reaction score
My Location
London
You realize that you could have sold the dish or at least charged the company, but money doesn't mean anything to you kids nowadays.

Lech

(Paid £8 for a roll of self-amalgamating tape - that one hurt, but at least it will last forever.)