Scottish Borders

Lexzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Xtrend ET10000 DVB-C, DVB-S2, and IPTV
Dreambox DM920 DVB-C/DVB-S2X/DVB-T2
TBS 5925 USB-tuner
80 cm fixed dish (28.2E/23.5E/19.2E)
180cm Channel Master offset dish with polarmount (39E-34.5W, Ku-band)
My Location
The Netherlands
Sorry, I made an error, should be Eutelsat 12 West B

I only found a 4k signal there on 11512 V, SR 28800, FEC 5/6 DVB-S2/8PSK

itchybag

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1 stab motor with VU+ SOLO 4k, dm800, prof 7500
My Location
earth
Sorry, I made an error, should be Eutelsat 12 West B

I only found a 4k signal there on 11512 V, SR 28800, FEC 5/6 DVB-S2/8PSK

8k was dvbs2x 16apsk

Lexzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Xtrend ET10000 DVB-C, DVB-S2, and IPTV
Dreambox DM920 DVB-C/DVB-S2X/DVB-T2
TBS 5925 USB-tuner
80 cm fixed dish (28.2E/23.5E/19.2E)
180cm Channel Master offset dish with polarmount (39E-34.5W, Ku-band)
My Location
The Netherlands
Last edited:

dreadnutz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Directv DVR
My Location
Kingston
I have doubts that 4K content will even be common in less than 10 years. I never see 8K catching on, even 4K is at the edge of what the human eye can see in terms of detail. The premise of 8K assumes that everyone in the future will be watching TV on 120" sets. My feeling is that the 55-65" market is what the general public is satisfied with given the typical room size and that's not going to change in our life times. 8K, 16K whatever, it just makes for a great Demo but just because you can do a thing does not mean the public is interested in paying for it. Ask your wife if she cares if a show is in 1080P or SD, you might be surprised at the answer. My wife really does not care! I showed her some top class 4K sample files 560MB for 90 seconds of video and she said yes that's nice but literally yawned.

The people who have to spend the money to make this content have to be sure that the general public is willing to pay for it. As far as I can tell most people are very content with 1080P upscaled to 4K. Mind you I would love 8K but I was in the HT business and I learned to listen to the customers. A few will pay anything for the best but their numbers are not nearly enough to justify production companies, broadcasters and providers to make the jump to 4K right now in any great numbers much less a jump to 8K.

BTW I was lucky enough last year to watch a small part of a TV series being filmed in 1080P and I asked one of the camera men how much does that Sony Camera cost and he said about $60,000 US for the camera alone!!
He then said and oh yeah we use about 20 of these to shoot the series at the various locations. I don't even want to guess at what the 4K version of that Camera cost. That is just one of the smaller expenses these companies would have to endure.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I have doubts that 4K content will even be common in less than 10 years. I never see 8K catching on, even 4K is at the edge of what the human eye can see in terms of detail. The premise of 8K assumes that everyone in the future will be watching TV on 120" sets. My feeling is that the 55-65" market is what the general public is satisfied with given the typical room size and that's not going to change in our life times. 8K, 16K whatever, it just makes for a great Demo but just because you can do a thing does not mean the public is interested in paying for it. Ask your wife if she cares if a show is in 1080P or SD, you might be surprised at the answer. My wife really does not care! I showed her some top class 4K sample files 560MB for 90 seconds of video and she said yes that's nice but literally yawned.

The people who have to spend the money to make this content have to be sure that the general public is willing to pay for it. As far as I can tell most people are very content with 1080P upscaled to 4K. Mind you I would love 8K but I was in the HT business and I learned to listen to the customers. A few will pay anything for the best but their numbers are not nearly enough to justify production companies, broadcasters and providers to make the jump to 4K right now in any great numbers much less a jump to 8K.

BTW I was lucky enough last year to watch a small part of a TV series being filmed in 1080P and I asked one of the camera men how much does that Sony Camera cost and he said about $60,000 US for the camera alone!!
He then said and oh yeah we use about 20 of these to shoot the series at the various locations. I don't even want to guess at what the 4K version of that Camera cost. That is just one of the smaller expenses these companies would have to endure.
8k is for other purposes, such as the amount of clarity in a 360 degree and/or VR environment, though it has a use in giving large screens a clear image when viewed up close.

I can also envisage the need for holographic displays to show better moving pictures with the technology, and there is always the mature content industry requiring ever more imaginative scenes, where individual stds can be identified by the spots alone.

The cost of the kit will always come down to an acceptable cost, my current 1080 TV is an item that I found in the street, you can't give them away these days.

Last edited:

dreadnutz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Directv DVR
My Location
Kingston
8k is for other purposes, such as the amount of clarity in a 360 degree and/or VR environment, though it has a use in giving large screens a clear image when viewed up close.

This is true but it falls under the special application category. IMHO VR is another technology that is never really going to catch on for public consumption. I have tried it and so have many of my friends and while we did find it very interesting and exciting for the first 5 minutes, our stomachs were not as thrilled. We all felt pretty nausious after the demo. I don't think resolution is going to make that better, I think it will actually make the brain and the inner ear have an even greater conflict.

I can also envisage the need for holographic displays to show better moving pictures with the technology, and there is always the mature content industry requiring ever more imaginative scenes, where individual stds can be identified by the spots alone.

I will never argue that 8K or 16K does not have great uses in special environments but once again that is not in the consumer department. Also useful holographic devices are really so far off in the future that its hard to speculate what that technology will end up like.

The cost of the kit will always come down to an acceptable cost, my current 1080 TV is an item that I found in the street, you can't give them away these days.

You need to sell it on eBay. I still see people getting $500 for the last produced Panasonic Plasma's.
IMHO the picture quality from them still beats the pants off of the cheap LCD models that are being sold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I do have a plasma TV sitting in the garage, but it is one of the last analogue tuner designs from Philips (three SCART, one DVI), no more than a 42 inch or so, but the surrounding silver bezel probably adds 6 inches all round.

Similar to this one

Detailed specifications on 42HF9442/12

The one the family uses is a Tecknika 40" , not exactly a collectors item.

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I will never argue that 8K or 16K does not have great uses in special environments but once again that is not in the consumer department. Also useful holographic devices are really so far off in the future that its hard to speculate what that technology will end up like.

The mature content industry is one of the main drivers behind screen technology advancements.

Holographic projection, whilst still only two decades old, will be offered as a viable consumer viewing device around the time of the Tokyo Olympics.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I do have a plasma TV sitting in the garage, but it is one of the last analogue tuner designs from Philips (three SCART, one DVI), no more than a 42 inch or so, but the surrounding silver bezel probably adds 6 inches all round.

Similar to this one

Detailed specifications on 42HF9442/12

The one the family uses is a Tecknika 40" , not exactly a collectors item.
Correction it’s one of these

76DFFD5F-E024-452A-A7D8-5C4600185FB0.jpeg