90 degree pole

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm motorised dish, sky minidish, skystar 2, foxsat hd, comag sl65, pace prima, pace 2200 sky box
My Location
Hampshire, England
I already have the brackets, it's just that I wanted to get away without drilling any extra holes in the wall :-doh!

I did put it up temporarily on the old bracket and I got Thor and Hotbird, so at least I know everything works.
(Edit: I've just noticed that the transponders I was getting to Thor were on the Nordic beam :eek:)

While I'm at it, could I just ask how USALS and Goto X works? On my motor, position 1 is 13E. If I move it to peak the signal, and then store that as position 1, the motor will work out where all of the other positions should be, according to my latitude/longitude, right? But then what happens if I replace that position with another satellite - won't the reciever think it's still 13E and make all of the other positions wrong?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What is your longitude? It can't be far off 1W.

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm motorised dish, sky minidish, skystar 2, foxsat hd, comag sl65, pace prima, pace 2200 sky box
My Location
Hampshire, England

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK, so set up usals, (I guess that you already have) send the dish to 1W and then go outside and swing the whole assembly on the pole and the dish elevation. Once you've found 1W, nip up the bolts and the others will be there. :)

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, England
Thanks Rolf.

So when I have it all set up, how do I store the position of, say, Eutelsat W1? My motor doesn't have that satellite in its list, so I'll have to replace another position. Will that throw the others out or does USALS only work them out from my location?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You can add a new satellite and tell the receiver where it is. :)

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, England
Ah, right, so I add it to the end of the list. Thanks :)

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, England
Well yesterday I put the dish up and it's working fine. It was definately worth the effort :D

It seems that the motor doesn't use USALS, which is why I was confused. Thanks for your help!

You'll probably notice that I haven't used T&K brackets - I actually used two the same as the old one :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Looks good, are you getting all of the main satellites?

PS. You will need to weatherproof the LNB connectors with some self amalgamating tape or similar. :)

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, England
Yes, so far I've found 28.2E, 19.2E, 13E, 7E, 5E, 1W, 12.5W, 22W and 30W. I didn't expect to be up late last night watching feeds on AB1...

I know about the connecters, I'm planning to do that tomorrow ;)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well done, excellent result. :) :-righton

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I just had an idea on how to make a suitable AZ/EL type mount with one of those Channel Master dishes (the one with the 90degree pole), but it's only an idea so I need to try it out on my dish at home, but the basic outline uses a straight pole through where the normal 90degree pole goes through, a shelley clamp and another pole (be it on a tripod or wall-mounted), but as I said, I'll need to try it before I say it's a viable idea... :D

Amazing what boredom can come up with!!! :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
I did it!!!! :D
And it works too (well, as far as I have "tested" it)... :D

Some pics:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I guess my idea's that good everyone's out altering their old dishes!!!! O-Ha

I'm going to go stick my 60CM dish onto my tripod with it's new "bracket" and give it a good run whilst I sort out getting my 80CM painted another colour (probably matte black, but I'll see what colours there are at my local car parts shop), I think I'm going to ditch the multi LNB idea on my 60cm dish for now as the brackets I was sold are way too loose when fitted so I'm going to go back to the seller of my dish (on eBay) and get the correct brackets for my dish. :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Looks good, but those brackets are notorious for relaxing and causing movement, the back bracket needs turning by 90 degrees.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
Looks good, but those brackets are notorious for relaxing and causing movement, the back bracket needs turning by 90 degrees.

That's why I have put the dish on indoor service, just to see if it's reliable enough. As for the 2nd bracket plate, it's rectangular so can't be turned 90 degrees, but so far on my tripod it is holding well and that has a much smaller pole than the one I used in those pics (which in actual fact was the original 90 degree pole supplied with the dish!!!) which held well in a shakedown test (I.E. I held the pole and shook the whole dish!!! I think it would take a very strong earthquake to get the dish to shift by a signifigant amount!!! :D ). I have some pics of the dish in service with the new mount fitted on my tripod, I'll get them up as soon as I can... :D

Had fun last night sawing, well, filing actually, the straight pole down to a decently short length, an Aluminium pole (which came with my Attisat FPA) versus a stainless steel penknife file made light work of it, took about 20 minutes though.... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Here's the pictures, ok, there aren't many of the mount, just showing it in action.... :D

asdigi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite
My Location
UK
looks good, still got the upside down lnb i see O-Ha

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
asdigi said:
looks good, still got the upside down lnb i see O-Ha

Yes, same reason as the big dish, won't fit the other way cos of the windowsill!!!! :D