90 degree pole

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm motorised dish, sky minidish, skystar 2, foxsat hd, comag sl65, pace prima, pace 2200 sky box
My Location
Hampshire, England
Hi, I'm looking at fitting a Diseqc rotator to my 80cm dish. But it seems that most dishes are fitted to a vertical pole - mine is on a horizontal 90 degree pole (see photo).

I was thinking about buying a Superjack DG-120. I can get a short straight pole for the wall bracket so that doesn't seem to be a problem, but is there any way to fit the dish?

Thanks for any help.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The dish was designed to also take a pole mount, but unless you are prepared to make one yourself, you probably won't get one.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
:-Welcome1

May be wrong, but I think you'll have to change your dish.

You can pick up a new 80cm dish for under £20 - cheaper off eBay.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
TBH even if you got the dish to attach to the motor your going to have to have a pole and new brackets to hold that pole and by the time you have done that it will be that far off the wall you will be able to hang your washing off it.. buy a new dish like mentioned above and new brackets.. will end up cheaper and also you may not get the dish right if you mod your old one :(

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm motorised dish, sky minidish, skystar 2, foxsat hd, comag sl65, pace prima, pace 2200 sky box
My Location
Hampshire, England
Thanks for the welcome and the quick answer :)
I'll have a look at another dish then. But out if interest, how would a pole mount fit onto the dish? What would I need to make one?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
wouldn't a set of t &k brackets and a small length of pole work ?

Lester Piggott

Avoid tax, don't evade it.
Reaction score
Website
www.mamsters.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Fast processor PC

Skystar 2 and 1.2m motorised dish for racing channels. Not much success so far though.
My Location
Lingfield
It would, but you need to fabricate a bracket to fit the four adjustment holes on the dish bracket, then drill it out to take two pole mount brackets.

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, England
Hmm... would it be possible to fit a bracket like the one on Rolfw's dish? If that would fit inside my dish's bracket then it looks like it should go on okay.

Rolfw - is this what you meant when you said that the dish was designed to also take a pole mount? (I've just noticed the holes which aren't being used.)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, there is already a hole at the top of the bracket for the pivot bolt and a curved slot at the bottom for the adjustment.

Then if you use two large exhaust clamps, you can mount the rear of the bracket to the pole.

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, England
Good, that's what I thought. Does the bracket have a name? I'd like to at least look for one, I don't really want to get a new dish if I don't have to :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You won't find one, the dish is too old. But making one out of steel would be easy for someone with a little experience. you could make it without the curved pole inset and use exhaust clamps with their own curved back plates.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Use a set of T and K brackets on the wall.

This will give you the space to rotate the dish.

If you check your original picture and imagine an upright pole then you'll see that it wouldn't allow the motor to move enough to receive the best satellites.

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, England
Yes, I see that it would be way too close now.

Does the dish need to have elevation markings to set up the motor? Reading the guide on here it looks like the receiver knows what satellite you are pointing at and works everything out from there.

If the dish does need to have the markings I'll have to get a new one anyway because mine doesn't have them.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, the dish requires no markings at all, you can roughly set it and then find your reference satellite using a small meter or your receiver.

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, England
Thanks everyone for all your help. I now have my motor, set up and working fine with SS2Diseqc/ProgDVB. All I need now is the bracket (which a friend should be able to make) and I can get it put up :)

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, England
I bought a new (solid 80cm) dish in the end. The bracket idea just wasn't going to work.

It's all ready to go up tomorrow if it doesn't rain, but I'm a little concerned about the weight of it all. When I hold the short pole that will mount it on the wall it feels extremely heavy. Obviously it's going to be quite heavy, but is the wall going to take it, especially when the wind gets up? The wall isn't too old and it doesn't use the afwul-sounding ties, but it's still a bit worrying.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You're not proposing to use the bracket in the top picture I hope?

andy29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, England
Oo er... possibly :-ohmy
I take it that it would not be a clever idea then?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
On the button there. :) I wouldn't use that bracket for the dish on its own, let alone with a motor, what you need is a set of 12" T&K brackets (with a short 2" steel pole), they sell them in Maplin and most aerial wholesalers will supply them. :)