90cm+ the solution to my indoor dish problem?

blackninja

Reaction score
I'm not allowed to put a dish on my flat, although we do have a communal dish pointed to 28 East. However I'm looking for 13 and 19 East and have tried getting these using my Maplin 40cm dish indoor (from their satellite kit).

So far I've been unable to get anything. This is especially disappointing considering my window points exactly south. I've also checked some of the threads in this forum on the topic - but I'm still not getting anything.

So I was wondering - would a bigger dish - say 90cm+ - guarantee results, or are some windows just completely impenetrable?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
the 40cm dish would have had no chance as the signal reduces but is receivable through glass so you need a larger dish to compensate for some loss of signal

T

thedavid

blackninja said:
I'm not allowed to put a dish on my flat, although we do have a communal dish pointed to 28 East. However I'm looking for 13 and 19 East and have tried getting these using my Maplin 40cm dish indoor (from their satellite kit).

So far I've been unable to get anything. This is especially disappointing considering my window points exactly south. I've also checked some of the threads in this forum on the topic - but I'm still not getting anything.

So I was wondering - would a bigger dish - say 90cm+ - guarantee results, or are some windows just completely impenetrable?

I received a new 80cm dish from Germany last week and tried it in my bedroom looking through the double glazing. Nothing! Then I opened the window and immediately got a good signal.

I suggest you mount the dish on your window ledge if possible or just outside the window.

blackninja

Reaction score
thedavid said:
I received a new 80cm dish from Germany last week and tried it in my bedroom looking through the double glazing. Nothing! Then I opened the window and immediately got a good signal.

I suggest you mount the dish on your window ledge if possible or just outside the window.

Might be difficult. The window only opens on the top and even there it doesn't open all the way.

I might buy Maplin's 90cm dish, so at least I can return it if it doesn't work.

Thanks.

NitroB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-1500Ci+ Super - 1.5m Centre feed - 0.3dB Lnb
My Location
East Anglia
thedavid said:

Some 15 years ago a 60cm dish was enough to get Astra for me...
Remember, an offset dish will need to be lower to the floor than a prime focus, I found that too near the window was not good. I ended up with the dish about 2 foot off the floor and about 5 foot away from the window... I think you maybe too close and hence blocking much of the signal... You may wanna try again..

johnwilliam1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500
strong 4375
pace digi box
triax 1.1, triax 88cm
My Location
UK.
blackninja,

i use a 1.1 triax indoors, 6ft stand i get astra and the hotbird

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
johnwilliam1 said:
blackninja,

i use a 1.1 triax indoors, 6ft stand i get astra and the hotbird

Are you single like me by any chance??? :D :-rofl2

You must be to have a dish that big indoors!!! :D

johnwilliam1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500
strong 4375
pace digi box
triax 1.1, triax 88cm
My Location
UK.
2cvbloke,

yes thats right, its a spare bedroom i have and i use a monoblock to get them two sats