a beginner's begging for advice

bachopin

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a static dish pointing to 28.2 east with Echostar 707 FTA.
here is the image of dish itself:
http://medstud.pote.hu/~gh/dish/dish.jpg

I usually watch the channels on ASTRA2 (28.2E) but sometimes I'd like to tune into BBC News24 which is on ASTRA 1 (19.2E).
Usually I take a walk to the balcony ( I live in the 10th floor) with a wrench and make the adjustment manually. I heard there are ways to make it more comfortable with twin LBNs or motorized systems but I don't know how to start with such a project. I'd like to do it myself and would be nice if it won't cost too much :-) .
I'd be extremely grateful if someone could put me in the right directions.
Any comments would be warmly appreciated.

Best Regards
Péter

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Péter, BBC news 24 is on 28.2 E as well, so no need to move the dish 10773 H SR 22,000.

You can of course get yourself an LNB arm and a DiseqC switch and switch between the two satellite, there is quite a lot of interesting programming on Astra 19.2.

bachopin

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Hi Péter, BBC news 24 is on 28.2 E as well, so no need to move the dish 10773 H SR 22,000.

You can of course get yourself an LNB arm and a DiseqC switch and switch between the two satellite, there is quite a lot of interesting programming on Astra 19.2.

I'm really sorry, it's my fault but I forgot to mention that I'm a native Hungarian and this country is far outside the narrow beam of ASTRA2D. So BBC News24 is as far as I know is only available to me on ASTRA 19.2E. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Sadly I dont't know much about the technical details of DiseqC, how it operates and what are the prerequisites installing (preferably myself) such a device
I wonder if you could send me an URL or any document from I can learn more
about this subject.

Best regards
Péter

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
DiseqC is really pretty straightforward Péter, it is merely a switching method. The diseqC switches available are normally 2 or 4 satellite, so you would connect Astra 28.2 to port A and Astra 19.2 to port B. You then go into LNB setup in your receiver menu and select Astra 28.2, then under the DiseqC section, call it A or 1, then do the same for 19.2, but call it B or 2.

bachopin

Reaction score
rolfw said:
DiseqC is really pretty straightforward Péter, it is merely a switching method. The diseqC switches available are normally 2 or 4 satellite, so you would connect Astra 28.2 to port A and Astra 19.2 to port B. You then go into LNB setup in your receiver menu and select Astra 28.2, then under the DiseqC section, call it A or 1, then do the same for 19.2, but call it B or 2.

Thank you very much for your helpful comments, I think you talked me into buying a DiseqC switch :-)

Regards
Péter

G

GotMyBusPass

Hi Bachopin

Here is a picture and information on DisecQ switches
http://www.dmsiusa.com/diseqc_switches.htm
Also a picture and information about a double LNB holder here
http://www.targetweb.nl/txt/tx28234.htm
I am sure that a satellite dealer in your country will be able to supply you with the necessary equipment.
You will obviously need extra co-axial cable and connectors for the second LNB, do not forget to seal all your joints so that moisture does not get in.

gmbp

PS nice picture of your dish

bachopin

Reaction score
rolfw said:

Hi Everyone,
Sorry for the long delay in my reply.
I'm going to buy a DiseqC switch with cables which should be quite straightforward hopefully.
The only dilemma for me is what kind of LNB should I use for the second head. Is there anything I should be aware of when I buy one ? I mean anything to look for in the technical specifications of LNBs.
My offset antenna is 60cm - and I got all ASTRA 2A signals without problem - but I don't know the current technical spec. of the LNB being currently used - I found nothing relevant to it on the head.

Thanks again for all who replied to my question - you all helped me a lot !
Best wishes

Péter

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Any reasonable quality Universal LNb should do Péter, on looking at the LNB arm though, you may need to make adaptations to a standard offset, unless they make one specifically for that dish.

silvernet

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
UK
BBC News is not, as far as I am aware, available on Astra 19. BBC World is, but it is not the same as BBC News on Astra 28.

You probably know that anyway Peter. Good luck with your project.