A cry for help

kirilcho

Reaction score
Hey, dudes!

Yeah, me again. But today I've just had enough! I just wanna scream and hit and break and AAAARGH! It's been one month since I am trying to fix my SS2+80cmDish+STAB120 system and it simply ain't working! Not only I've spent the money I earned for a whole month this summer bit I simply cannot watch Bulgarian TV and at the moment I'm pretty homesick, so everything's a total mess! :( I was hoping someone could help me out, I simply don't have the money to pay to the SATMAN to come. I've followed all the tutorials (how to set up the dish and the motor) from this website, but alas, no signal. Here's my system and I will become a slave in the afterworld of the one who manages to help me:

• Skystar2 (brand new)
  • STAB 120 DiseqC 1.2 (brand new)
  • Coax satellite cable (brand new)
  • Dish 80 cm as per picture (not quite so new)
  • LNB - MTI Blueline (brand new)
The pole seems to be vertical. On the picture you can see the system. I am getting the feeling that my elevation of the dish and the motor are wrong. My lattitude is 51.5 and my longitude is 0.1w (Essex). The manufacturer of the dish has put a scale on the mount that goes from -3 to 72. What seems to be the correct setting for the elevation and declination etc (hey, pls bear with me, I've read, believe me, all the tutorials on the website and nothing seemed to help my poor self). I am able to rotate the dish from the PC using the plugin for ProgDVB and MyTheatre.

Hey, I'm so truly desperado, I would really really want to fix this, so thanks in advance for any help ;x

Kiril.

xaaxa

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
kirilcho said:
Hey, dudes!

Yeah, me again. But today I've just had enough! I just wanna scream and hit and break and AAAARGH! It's been one month since I am trying to fix my SS2+80cmDish+STAB120 system and it simply ain't working! Not only I've spent the money I earned for a whole month this summer bit I simply cannot watch Bulgarian TV and at the moment I'm pretty homesick, so everything's a total mess! :( I was hoping someone could help me out, I simply don't have the money to pay to the SATMAN to come. I've followed all the tutorials (how to set up the dish and the motor) from this website, but alas, no signal. Here's my system and I will become a slave in the afterworld of the one who manages to help me:

• Skystar2 (brand new)
  • STAB 120 DiseqC 1.2 (brand new)
  • Coax satellite cable (brand new)
  • Dish 80 cm as per picture (not quite so new)
  • LNB - MTI Blueline (brand new)
The pole seems to be vertical. On the picture you can see the system. I am getting the feeling that my elevation of the dish and the motor are wrong. My lattitude is 51.5 and my longitude is 0.1w (Essex). The manufacturer of the dish has put a scale on the mount that goes from -3 to 72. What seems to be the correct setting for the elevation and declination etc (hey, pls bear with me, I've read, believe me, all the tutorials on the website and nothing seemed to help my poor self). I am able to rotate the dish from the PC using the plugin for ProgDVB and MyTheatre.

Hey, I'm so truly desperado, I would really really want to fix this, so thanks in advance for any help ;x

Kiril.
Well.......................
im almost at a loss for words old buddy! That setup will NEVER work! The dish is not high enough, a 100 ft tower would probably do it!. Just stick it up there and let the motor figure it all out .
No really,put it on a 3 foot pole thats 4 foot in the ground ....ohhhh pooey lets let someone else help you someones at the door and I smell my cake in the oven burning ,I gotta go poop and I forgot how to do it myself.

kirilcho

Reaction score
xaaxa said:
Well.......................
im almost at a loss for words old buddy! That setup will NEVER work! The dish is not high enough, a 100 ft tower would probably do it!. Just stick it up there and let the motor figure it all out .
No really,put it on a 3 foot pole thats 4 foot in the ground ....ohhhh pooey lets let someone else help you ,I forgot how to do it myself.

I don't really get what you mean. I got a neighbour who's got his dish on the ground and still gets signal.

xaaxa

Reaction score
Your best help would be go next door and talk to your neighbor,or have you "Busted" up his stuff and beat him?? Just do as they say...when in Rome do as the Romans do.

jeepers01

Reaction score
Your dish angle is far too great. Start with the dish near vertical and gradually increase.
Set motor angle (declination)to 51.5 degrees but check manual if there is a translation table for this type of motor (I dont have a STAB so dont know)
This little FastSatfinder programme may help you h**p://www.sat.projektas.lt/

kirilcho

Reaction score
How is this program functioning? Does it cooperate with the SS2 card? It's really basic.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Sorry you are having so many problems i know how you feel because i was just like you when i set up my motorised system a few years ago. Im not familiar with that motor but the principles are the same. I do agree that the dish is looking just too far up, it should be a lot more vertical (straight) with a sllight inclination. Aim for 1 west and forget about all the other satellites until you get this satellite, tune in the free satellite channels on 1 west into progdvb or whatever program you are using and make sure all the settings are right in the software such as having the lnb power on :D
i used a cheap sat bleeper which costs about a tenner i think,when the lnb picks up the satellite it beeps and gets higher, i never could have set the system up without one because its digital and there is no real way of knowing without one. Dish inclinations never are that accurate and you also have to consider that it only takes a small amount of innacuracy in the dish mount to miss the satellite arc. Go get a cheap bleeper and a small amount of satellite cable. and get the little lnb cable thingies that fit onto the lnb wire (forgot what they are called). Connect the lnb to the bleeper and back out to the lnb wire going into the house. you listen through the attached earpiece,when the pitch goes up you are on a satellite. Just tune the channels for the sat you think you are on and go from there. Are there any dishes around you? find out what sats they are on and that will give you a fair idea of roughly where you want to be pointing the dish :)

sorry i cant be of much better help but i found it impossible to set up a motorised system without some kind of meter. A fixed dish system is easy enough but with a motorised systemit has to be perfectly on the satellite arc at 1 west so that when the dish moves the other satellites line up correctly.

this is the sort of thing i mean
http://www.creativesatellite.co.uk/en-gb/dept_17.html
under satellite bleeper (first item - cheap but works)

jeepers01

Reaction score
kirilcho said:
How is this program functioning? Does it cooperate with the SS2 card? It's really basic.
Says its for the SS2
**quote**
This very small windows program will help you to find quickly a signal from the satellite. In the new version the level of a signal is spoken by a voice on English and Russian languages. Also the new mode is added. Now it is not necessary for you to know all satellite reception parameters. Simply choose in the list the necessary satellite and press only one button. Warning: the program is intended only for SkyStar2!
**unquote**
I would set for BBC World on Thor 0.8West 11325 H 24500 fec 7/8

jeepers01

Reaction score
Presserfoot said:
Hi Jeepers, I have a fortecstar platinum receiver, is it possible you can tell me how use the remote controller to to find the code and put new keys in....
Have not heard of the fortecstar before and not sure what you are asking.
Can you give more details and i'll try and help.
I take it you have seen these websites
h**p://www.satellite-heaven.de/Receiver/fortecstar.htm
http://www.satellite-heaven.de/Receiver/integra.htm
Looks like it is made by h**p://www.integra.co.kr/

kirilcho

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. How do you mean that the fixed dish is easy enough? Can you tell me how to try by removing the motor?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
kirilcho, if you want to get something out of your dish, then you need to start from the beginning.

Your pole is too long, and will move about in the wind. It's not like a TV aerial. It has to be SPOT ON and RIGID.

Your pole is almost certainly NOT vertical in all directions, based on what I can see of how it's fixed.

If you do not get your pole fixed EXACTLY VERTICAL IN ALL DIRECTIONS then your motor is not going to find any satellites. Ever.

If you want to use your motor as intended, then you must get these two things fixed first. Get a spirit level and get the pole vertical all the way round. Make sure it's fixed rock solid, and as low as possible, whilst able to see over anything in it's way.

You'd be surprised how high the sat beam comes down into your dish.
It's not quite as exaggerated as in my cruddy little pic, but I've done it that way to make the point.

Once you have done all that, you can adjust your setup.

One side of your grey motor bracket says elevation, and one side says latitude. Adjust the bracket until the latitude side says 51.5 with the little pointer on the motor. lock it up AND DON'T MOVE IT unless you move house!
Mount your dish onto the motor output pole perfectly centrally. Lock it up. Never move it again.

Then setup your dish so that it's about 10 degrees elevated from the horizontal, by adjusting the elevation bolts on the dish. With your motor set to zero degrees by your SS2, tune your SS2 into BBC world on 1W, point your dish at due south, and then spend a afternoon twisting the whole motor body on your pole, and tweaking the DISH elevation up and down a bit until you max out the signal. This is MUCH easier if you have a sat meter.

Welcome to the world of mega-satellite. Anything else is fine tuning.

Hope this helps.

STICK

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
BGonaSTICK said:
kirilcho, if you want to get something out of your dish, then you need to start from the beginning.

Your pole is too long, and will move about in the wind. It's not like a TV aerial. It has to be SPOT ON and RIGID.

Your pole is almost certainly NOT vertical in all directions, based on what I can see of how it's fixed.

If you do not get your pole fixed EXACTLY VERTICAL IN ALL DIRECTIONS then your motor is not going to find any satellites. Ever.

If you want to use your motor as intended, then you must get these two things fixed first. Get a spirit level and get the pole vertical all the way round. Make sure it's fixed rock solid, and as low as possible, whilst able to see over anything in it's way.

You'd be surprised how high the sat beam comes down into your dish.
It's not quite as exaggerated as in my cruddy little pic, but I've done it that way to make the point.

Once you have done all that, you can adjust your setup.

One side of your grey motor bracket says elevation, and one side says latitude. Adjust the bracket until the latitude side says 51.5 with the little pointer on the motor. lock it up AND DON'T MOVE IT unless you move house!
Mount your dish onto the motor output pole perfectly centrally. Lock it up. Never move it again.

Then setup your dish so that it's about 10 degrees elevated from the horizontal, by adjusting the elevation bolts on the dish. With your motor set to zero degrees by your SS2, tune your SS2 into BBC world on 1W, point your dish at due south, and then spend a afternoon twisting the whole motor body on your pole, and tweaking the DISH elevation up and down a bit until you max out the signal. This is MUCH easier if you have a sat meter.

Welcome to the world of mega-satellite. Anything else is fine tuning.

Hope this helps.

STICK

Nice picture Stick. How do you get into your house with that crooked door?

Llew

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
The cold and foggy Yorkshire coast..
Stick, that picture is a work of ART ! LOL !!!!!
However you are spot on.. that pole is so tall it would never be truely straight.
Advice would be to shorten that pole or replace it, your dish needs to be where the wall bracket is or just above it.
As everyone else has mentioned the inclination is way too high, imagine the dish is flat against the wall of your house and then raise it slightly from the bottom.
Excellent advice from Starman look at everyone elses dish location, it's an excellent way to get a rough bearing.

Good luck

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, I used to have a house like that. :)

@ kirilcho, as Stick says, the pole needs to be perfectly vertical, height is not important, only line of sight to the satellite counts.

Have a look at the thread in digital systems and the thread for pictures of members' setups, you will see that an offset dish appears to be pointing almost horizontally.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Oi Oi!

You havn't seen the BACK door!

LOL, everything was fine until the green mist descended...

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
another point. If you where to use a sat meter anyway, the location of your dish on that pole would make it awkward as you need to really be next to the dish while adjusting, i assume you have the right ladders :D
the dish could quite easily be at ground level as long as there is nothing obstructing the signal from the sat to the dish like a building or tree etc.
bbc world at 1 west is an excellent choice or try lyngsat.com for more free to air channels if required. why can you not fix it to the house? incidentally a spirit level is essential for a motorised system as the pole needs to be aligned symetricallly to the ground, completely straight or the arc will be out and you may find 1 west but when you move the dish most satellites will be lost and you will never find them because the dish will not be hittting the signal on them correctly IF THE POLE is not STRAIGHT=use Spirit level and a cheap sat finder will do wonders for your sanity, i know cause i was in your position a few years back, oh and make sure when all is working that the dish is secure because i have did all that only to have the damn thing fall off the house lol :D

xaaxa

Reaction score
Like I said....3ft pole 4ft in ground - 7ft pole total.also set in cement (concrete) absolutely verticle and it will stay where you put it and you can work on it. And if he chats with his neighbor or poins his dish the same he will get a satellite to watch.
So I have already answered it all in my first post if you can read.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, I hope you don't get any subsidence, or you're going to need JCB to dig it out!:)

kalamar

Reaction score
I think xaaxa just bends them over when he moves (with car)