A fair deal?

Sat_Crazy

Reaction score
My first post in this place so i will start by saying hello to all :)

Right now for my first question: I have been offered a Echostar 3000ip with a H-H mount and 88cm triax dish, all shown working and about 3 years old. The chappy that is selling it wants £140 is this a fair deal on a system of this age?

TIA :)

P.S. I used to be into scanning the skies some years back so have fair knowledge on setting the system up, just wanted to know if this is a good buy by todays standards. Any tips on good card programmers etc would be nice as well (sorry for the mixed up post, but i am a bit excited...feel like a kid who is about to get a new toy lol)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The 3000 would be worth that on its own if its a fully functioning unit

Seems like you have a bargain, the receiver characteristics and backup from the Echostar site make it an ideal entry level box for returning to satellite surfing.

Wait until its all up and running before looking at cards and programmers, you will be pleasantly surprised by the amount of FTA stuff you can get immediately.

Sat_Crazy

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
The 3000 would be worth that on its own if its a fully functioning unit

Seems like you have a bargain, the receiver characteristics and backup from the Echostar site make it an ideal entry level box for returning to satellite surfing.

Wait until its all up and running before looking at cards and programmers, you will be pleasantly surprised by the amount of FTA stuff you can get immediately.
Many thanks for the quick reply :)

I used to use a Pace MSS508ip which bought in some good free channels, i can remember watching lots of british shows on TV-Norge and Kanel5 (i think that is how it was spelt lol) is there much free english stuff about now? as i have heard a lot of it is encrypted.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Lots more English than you would have been used to with the Pace

Its all a question of the digital bandwidth is about an eighth of the analogue offerings, and a lot more satellites up there.

Of course a larger dish will give you access to more interesting stuff (the positioner within the Echostar is more than adequate) but its a good starter.

Sat_Crazy

Reaction score
Update:I have just picked the system up for £125 :D and have found out that the dish is actually 95cm, however, i still have my 1.1mtr triax in the garage which i may well pop up insted as the chap couldn't pick up sirius 2, which did concern me. I am about to order some 4 core cable for the H-H as i need about a 60ft run to where the dish with sit. If all goes well she should be up and running in the next couple of days.

Thanks again for the help, if anyone has anymore tips on English channels and where to find them etc that would be great :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
English or English speaking ?

All the more poular satellites above the UK

28, 19, 16, 13, 5, E and 1, 15, 21, 30, 43 East will give you English

Many of the overseas channels will have programmes in original language with local subtitles

Sat_Crazy

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
Many of the overseas channels will have programmes in original language with local subtitles
This is what i used to find with Tv-Norge and Kanel 5, they ran local subs with the original English sound track intact, which was perfect. If there are channels like this still around then i will be over the moon, as i have been told that there is very little which is worthwhile and FTA. Hence my question regarding card programmers.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Those two are encrypted and unavailable in the UK on a small dish, but there are plenty of others

I forgot 18W with Romanian channel Prima

Sat_Crazy

Reaction score
Many Thanks for your help, i may require a bit more info once the system is set up, but for now :-cheers

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
I have a triax 1.1 and they are a good dish, you will pick up lots of stuff.

30W after midnight....WOW.