A fan for a STB - please help me cool it down!

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I've got a Fortec Ultimate that needs cooling. It has a HDD in it and gets pretty hot but it didn't come with a fan, nor does it have a space for a fan or even mention the need for a fan in the manual.

It does have that standard HDD/CD/DVD drive power cable you have in a PC - this is for the HDD in the Fortec.

Now, here's the thing - in my PC I got a fan that piggybacks on to this type of cable (that goes to my DVD burner). It slots into a spare PCI slot. I was hoping that there was a similar thing I could put in my Fortec - especially seeing as summer is on it's way!

BTW I'm not all that handy so it'd have to be something I can glue or screw (ooh er missus)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
If it is indeed a standard PC PS cable, the yellow/black wires will provide you with 12V/Ground respectively, just connect a small PC fan and find a suitable place to position it.

Llew

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Where's the best place to get a suitable fan? What kinda price?

I'm not too bothered about noise as it's just two metres away from my PC - but saying that, I wouldn't want it noticeably adding to it!

In the meantime I've got the Fortec on top a DVD player (which is hasn't been used in eons - but is there for the rare occasion I do want to watch a DVD) so heat from below isn't a problem. The only thing is that there's one two inches above it and only millimetres between it and the DVD player to suck in cold air.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
You can get a fan from www.ebuyer.com. i think theyre around 10p.. you could get a flashing one but that would be pointless :(

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Yeah, might take away from TV viewing!

10p, that's pretty cheap - although if the one in my PC is anything to go by - there's not much to them!

EBuyer can be a bit steep with their P&P though!