A few pointed questions...

daviddem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird, Arabsat and Nilesat. Currently using a cheap Mediastar box, looking into replacing it with a Dreambox
My Location
Dubai
OK, so I am very new to this. I have had my 7020 for only three days now and so far I:

- flashed it with the latest Gemini4.4 image via the web interface
- set it up to receive from Hotbird, NileSat and ArabSat
- connected it to my home network and the internet
- created bouquets and backed up my settings with DreamBoxEdit
- setup FTP comms via FireFTP
- Installed a 250GB hard drive into it
- set it up with a 1GB USB stick
- moved the /var folder to the USB stick
- setup mutliboot and experimented with installing alternate images on the USB stick, using FlashWizard 6.3 PRO
- installed evocamd2.17, newcamd6.10b and cccam2.09 respectively with config files evocamconfig 2.14, newcamdbetad config6.x and cccamconfig2.09, all straight from the Gemini server via the blue panel
- manually installed SatanK*yBundle
- I also installed the Hacksat k*y updater addon, so I have two sources for k*ys

Note that I do not have any official or non official cards in the card slots. All I have is the DB, the satellite signals and my internet connection.

Problems I am having:

- I would like to create a backup of my current image with all the stuff I have done so far. FlashWizard 6.3 PRO won't let me do this because it says "not supported (yet) on DM7020". Is there any other way to do this cleanly?

- It seems there are further versions of FlashWizard but the only place that has them seems to be the sat-industry tech forum. I can't seem to register with that forum. It keeps telling me that it sent me an email to complete my registration, but I never receive said email. I emailed the Admins to no avail. Anybody had problems registering with them?

- After installing the emu's and k*ys, I browsed to some channels. Some of them clear fast (DisneyChannel), but some others take several minutes to clear (XXL), and some others freeze after a few minutes (France2). ANy idea what the problem is?

- I am quite confused by all the EMU/CAMS available. Do some channels work only with particular EMU's? How do I know which EMU to choose for a particular channel? What about the config files of the EMU's? Should I do anything with these, like editing them?

- There are channels which I am really interested in which I cannot get (Canal+, Discovery, Nat Geo, HBO, all the French TV channels, more movie channels, etc). Are there specialized EMU/keys for these? Where to find them?

- I am also confused about what you can do with the card slots? If I buy an official card, I am quite sure I can make it work with the DB, but, other than card sharing, what is the point having such a hacking tool as the DB if it to end up having to pay the official cards anyway?

- Is card sharing the only way to go for some channels? Is this possible over the internet or can this be done only on a local network? If this is possible over the internet, how do you join a group?

Thanks for taking the time to answer some of my questions.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The Dreambox has a built in backup facility. I can't help you with FWP as I've never used it.

CCcam is the best all round emu - if it can't open a channel (with keys) then it is doubtful that another emu will be able to. No need to edit files for normal use.

Please read the rules carefully concerning card sharing. CS is done over the Internet; if you have more than one Dreambox you can share your own card over your LAN from one box to another.

And Welcome to the forum :)

daviddem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird, Arabsat and Nilesat. Currently using a cheap Mediastar box, looking into replacing it with a Dreambox
My Location
Dubai
Thanks for your reply mhku. I have read the forums rules and will be careful not to cross the line!