A few probs

ag10

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
-
OK. I've got my ss2 and am trying ProgDVB and DreamDVB (couldn't get MyTheatre to work properly on scrambled channels, just got 1 (or 2!) small pictures). I'm enjoying experimenting; I'm reading all the forums, but I've got stuck.
ProgDVB seems very good, but the picture quality is nowhere near as good as TV picture. My system is XP1800+, 256M and 64M sis card.

Question 1. Is there a software or settings way to improve picture quality in ProgDVB (it's jerky on fast movement)?

DreamDVB keeps hesitating every few seconds. I have DirectX 9, but the prog asks for codecs. I have tried downloading Klite full pack, but haven't got a clue what it's meant to be. The links DreamDVB give for codec downloads don't seem to mention them.

Question 2. Exactly what should I download to get DreamBVB working properly? And from where, and what should I do with it?

Any help (worded for a COMPLETE nincompoop to understand, please!) will be very much appreciated.

Thanks folks!
Al

K

kalamar

Your best bet for just starting out is to download MyTheatre 2.76 and stick with it until you get used to what your doing. 2.76 is the most reliable and easyest to work with.I have used them all and still use 2.76 when I want to really sit down and watch tv.
You must have Yankse in the MDPLUGINS directory along with the companion files to decrypt anything.

ag10

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
-
OK. Thanks for the suggestion. I did try it, but I certainly didn't find it very user-friendly! I got completely bamboozled by the setup! eg which components to install? - Dunno. Interlaced or non-interlaced? - Search me. I tried interlaced thinking that I could change it from the program if it was wrong, but I can't see a way. I also couldn't see a way to get full screen picture without the channel list on the right. And the picture quality is certainly no better than ProgDVB. And it crashed a few times!
So I've got rid of it. The more I try other programs the better ProgDVB looks.
Anyway, I do appreciate the suggestion. Thanks.
Now then, anyone got any suggestions for tweaking picture quality via software?
Al

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that the only way you can flip between interlaced and non-interlaced is to reload the program. To get rid of the channel list you get rid of it in the right click menu.

I certainly found that MT 2.76 was the most stable of all, but I guess it can depend on your motherboard and graphics card as well. :)

K

kalamar

Sounds like it was installed from an exe file. If you get the complete zip file with all plugins already installed it will be a simple install as you just unzip the file to your choice of directory and create an icon link for the desktop and start scanning for channels,then a little adjustment should be all thats needed.

ag10

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
-
Hey kalamar, you're right, it was installed from an exe file (clever little devil, aren't you!). I may try it again sometime, but I must admit that of the ones I've looked at it appeals to me visually the least. (Yeah, I know, it's the tv picture I'm meant to be looking at.) And I didn't find it very nice to use. DreamDVB seemed great - apart from the small fact that I couldn't get it to work properly!
Anyway, I have ProgDVB working fine now (just installed diseqc ok).
BUT the big question is: Is there a viewer that gives a better picture quality than any others, or are they all similar?
The other big question is how much can you improve the picture quality via settings/software rather than a hardware upgrade? I wouldn't expect it to be explained, I just wondered how much difference you might get.
Thanks also rolfw,
Al

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that you can play around with the graph files to improve picture quality, but this is something which is way beyond my comprehension, so have never even explored it. :)

I don't think that there is a significant difference in picture quality between the main viewers, or if there is, I haven't noticed it.

K

kalamar

whatever gets you thru the day,its allright !
I use a Nexus-S in hardware mode so I miss all the "fun" some of you have adjusting those things.When all is set and well the picture quality should be about the same in all cases as rolfw says. (hi rolfw) I have ProgDVB installed too and it has some nice features that MyTheatre dont have but its kinda shakey and unstable at times,too bad the new (?) MyTheatre went to the dogs. I dont think from examining the new versions that they are even related to the old version 2.76 other than the cosmetic skins. I would think that ProgDVB will be the leader sometime near in the future.I found a version 4.40 on a website somewhere but couldnt get it to download,so guess thats next on the list,find it and download. I cant see any difference in the last couple of versions. yak yak yak..................

K

kalamar

QUESTION............................................................................QUESTION

What file contains the remote control settings in ProgDVB ?
thanks