a few questions

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
1, i am thinking of putting in a hard drive this weekend, and i was wondering if anyone had put a 7200 in instead of a 5400.... i know it recommends 5400 because of the heat problems.... but i am struggling to get a slow 5400 as they have been phased out?

any recommended drives??? whats the biggest i can put in? (DB 7000s)

2, why is it certain FTA channels cant be opened??? cbeebies for one (for the kids not me lol) and a few others too, why do they need dycrypting??

3, i am after a good channel with new series on etc... like Sky One but free :) also i am a Star trek fan, is there any channel showing the new series of Enterprise???

4, if you look up Monday 1st Nov on LJ's Live footy... it says Man U Reserves are playing on MUTV 28e (NDS) and 7w (Irdeto2)??? ive had a real good look... i cant find MUTV on 7 west at all, can anyone else?

cheers fellas

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
RedDevil_UK said:
1, i am thinking of putting in a hard drive this weekend, and i was wondering if anyone had put a 7200 in instead of a 5400.... i know it recommends 5400 because of the heat problems.... but i am struggling to get a slow 5400 as they have been phased out?

any recommended drives??? whats the biggest i can put in? (DB 7000s)

2, why is it certain FTA channels cant be opened??? cbeebies for one (for the kids not me lol) and a few others too, why do they need dycrypting??

3, i am after a good channel with new series on etc... like Sky One but free :) also i am a Star trek fan, is there any channel showing the new series of Enterprise???

4, if you look up Monday 1st Nov on LJ's Live footy... it says Man U Reserves are playing on MUTV 28e (NDS) and 7w (Irdeto2)??? ive had a real good look... i cant find MUTV on 7 west at all, can anyone else?

cheers fellas

I put in a Seagate 160gb hd. Was reading up on db website and they recommended this one because of low noise. I think gameboy put in a 300gb hd so you can ask him about it, look back in further threads.
Cbes Im sure is free to air on 28e, will check up later.
S*y 1 is nds so you wont get it without subscription
MU tv @ 7 w dont think you will get it also.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
john_graydon said:
I think gameboy put in a 300gb hd

Just the 160gb drive in mine it's a 5400 so it runs cooler and less noise than the faster drives. 5400 drives are getting more difficult to get hold of now.

Mine was fitted in the box when bought as the price was right.

I think I get cbeebie on Astra on the BBC test channel will check and get back to you.

Where's the best sat to look for active news feeds?

Remember watching them years ago on Hotbird analogue! Think they only had a couple of sats then at 13E.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
gameboy said:
Just the 160gb drive in mine it's a 5400 so it runs cooler and less noise than the faster drives. 5400 drives are getting more difficult to get hold of now.

Mine was fitted in the box when bought as the price was right.

I think I get cbeebie on Astra on the BBC test channel will check and get back to you.

Where's the best sat to look for active news feeds?

Remember watching them years ago on Hotbird analogue! Think they only had a couple of sats then at 13E.

I dropped a 5400 rpm 300GB Maxtor into my 7200S the week after I got it. Its on the approved list on the official DB site. (No 1 on list).
It is quieter than a mouse and I have to press my ear against the box to hear anything. Nor does it get hot. You can hear a click when putting the DB into or out of standby.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
thats the same drive i just put in :) 300gig maxtor 5400rpm

seems to work ok, no problems so far, although i have to admit i have only used it a couple of times

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
RedDevil_UK said:
I have to admit i have only used it a couple of times

Have you moved the /var directory yet?

If you move directories to the drive this will help stop any problems with saving EMUs and the like.

The drive is accessed more often, but the additional space has its advantages.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
gameboy said:
Have you moved the /var directory yet?

If you move directories to the drive this will help stop any problems with saving EMUs and the like.

The drive is accessed more often, but the additional space has its advantages.

GB
Is it just drag, drop into hdd and then delete out of flash for /var?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
to be honest i didnt know you could do that....

is it like haggard says then? or do i have to do something else too

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
RedDevil_UK said:
thats the same drive i just put in :) 300gig maxtor 5400rpm

seems to work ok, no problems so far, although i have to admit i have only used it a couple of times

@ red devil See you have a 42" tv. I think the Dreambox quality on my 43" Samsung is fantastic. How about yours.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
haggard said:
GB
Is it just drag, drop into hdd and then delete out of flash for /var?

No, don't drag'n'drop/delete

Use the menu option which copies the folder to the HD then tells the box where to find it.

I would imaging copy/delete will cause the image to crash!

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
John_Graydon said...
I think the Dreambox quality on my 43" Samsung is fantastic. How about yours.
the quality is good on mine too, i bought it from comet and i picked this TV because i though it looked to have the best picture when standing back and comparing it with the other TVs around it.
to be honest i nearly bought a projection unit, and i still might do at some point.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi Red
Regarding the childrenstuff, cbiebies and cbbc are both FTA on Astra 28 andI can see them. Maybe your EMU being funky? I use SCAM at the moment.
So if I understand correctly you have got a HD inserted into your 5620 ??

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
no, i have a HD in a 7000s

i will try changing emulators on those channels, and see what happens.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
RedDevil_UK said:
i will try changing emulators on those channels.

No, EMU needed RedDevil they are BBC Free-To-Air enjoy.

Also, try Cartoon N*twork on 1deg West!