A lot of money to be made

G

groundsman

I can't see ITVD dying as there is, with its current subscription level, £16m (min) to be made every month (+ advertising revenues).
It would be sad to see the technology wasted as there are many people who, due to council and housing restrictions, cannot install SKY dishes. ITV's method allowed them to view digital which is supposed to be the way forward.
Let's hope someone steps up.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Dont worry - be happy !

DTT will remain

not in its present form with 44 legs, one ball and a ref, but it will survive

Guaranteed

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Apr-02 AT 12:02 PM (GMT)]I am intrigued to find out just how you got to the answer of 47

The thread itself is somewhat jaded by yesterdays turn of events

Wouldn't be surprised if one of the other broadcasters on UK terrestrial pulls its programming off in the very near future simply out of spite and an incentive to 'join' those already on a monopoly satellite

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm not so sure, if they excercise a little forethought they may appreciate that terrestrial digital is still likely in it's free to air format to be the long term winner in the viewing wars. May take a while yet, but I firmly believe that longer term there will be an improving uptake of FTA boxes and that they will eventually exceed the number of Sky Digiboxes.

Rolf

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
@CH
11 players per team; 2 teams; 1 ref = 23 men in total
= 46 balls assuming full scrotal contingent per person.
plus one ball being kicked around.
What a load of old balls.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Apr-02 AT 02:50 PM (GMT)]I fully back the sense of using DTT in this country

1)Technically it should be easier to retain territorial limits than satellite and so limit the unautorised viewing simply by spillover.
1a) At the moment though the limitation of the coverage has been one of the major reasons for lack of takeup

2) A number of smaller broadcasters on the platform (with incentive from the government for fledglings to run for a short time with reduced cost) would enbsure the content is there.
2a) There appeared to be no competition within the programme lists to ensure the four players had to keep up the best content - result most Ive spoken to who subscribed were less than impressed after the first week

3) A true alternative for those that dont want/cannot have satellite
3a)Cable seems to have taken up a lot of the slack through more effective promotoion. ITVD was promoting itself really only to those already with a box.

4) A suitable addition for those that already have satellite
4a) Content was almost identical, no need for both.

5) Technical enhancements to ensure the viewer does not realise there is yet another box in the living room
5a) Single channel output, indifferent VCR port, lack of remote eye, ungainly remote control and tediously inefective operation were serious criticisms which led to the demise

6) Good management bringing both democratic and sensible programme content onto the platform
6a) Need I say more

I hope the take up does exceed digiboxes, but its taken a bit of a pasting this month, and better technology is on its way to give further content into the home