A new challenge: Recording onto external USB hard drive

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I got a question:

Recording to computer hard drive works ok, only thing is that my older computer has a relatively small hard drive. Therrefore I bought an external USB2 200 GB hard drive. What I was wondering is if I can record from the dreambox directly onto the hard drive and also play it back?

How about it, PCD, any ideas? :)

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
80cm Dish + 45cm Dish via Disecq A/B.
My Location
England
I am doing this for like 1 year already without problems :) tried on dm500 and dm7020 but it will work on any i can assure you :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Me too. Been using an external HD on my pc. Pretty sure it's USB 2.0 (1.1 is too slow).

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Great, I am chuffed to bits that you are doing it. How do you mount it though?? :-doh! :D

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
T_G said:
I can't believe you send me to that the thread!!!

You have read the Idiot's guide? - :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
If the Chief Idiot can't follow the guide....:-doh!

Follow the pcd guide. :p

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mhku said:
If the Chief Idiot can't follow the guide....:-doh!

Follow the pcd guide. :p

In the guide it says to creat a directory c:dreambox/movie

Now I don#t want to use c drive. All I am asking that someone confirm what exactly they have used. if you don't have anything constructive to say other than to repeat the same old joke then better not say anything.:p

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
is the external USB connected to the DB or the PC?

man mount ;) And I don't mean this in two men naked kind of way :-rofl2

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
:-rofl2

just read again and have to concur with my earlier post.

PS: my CIFS share is on my M: drive ;) Just follow the CIFS instruction on ANY folder and you'll be away.

btw in theory it should work with USB1.1 speeds too but I'd stick to 2.0 for the higher burst speeds :)

PS: within the share, ensure you have your movie folder - case-sensitive of course ;)
PPS (hopefully to make it super-clear :p): eg. you have your USB drive as Z: in the PC. Make a folder called dreambox and share it as described in the instructions. Within z:\dreambox, make a folder called movie. So you have z:\dreambox\movie

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
gameboy said:
You have read the Idiot's guide? - :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2
didn't he write it? ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
80cm Dish + 45cm Dish via Disecq A/B.
My Location
England
Here is a guide im writing off hte top of my head. for windows xp

1. On your windows pc, on a drive of any choice, make a folder named DREAMBOX or whatever you wanna call it.

2. Right click this folder, select properties and then select teh Sharing Tab, If you have never shared a folder before it will warn you with some blue text of security risks blabla, you want to "Just Enable File Sharing" you will see what i mean. Now you have to type in a share name, call it DREAMBOX and tick the box which says allows users to read/write to this dir.

3. Go into start>run>cmd, type ipconfig and toke note of your "IP ADDRESS" if you are on an internal network (LAN) then it will probably start with 192.168 or 10.0.

4. Now goto your dreambox, and then Menu>Setup>Communication Setup>IP ADDRESS, take note of this ip address.

5. GO back to your PC , goto start>run and tpe in "telnet your.dream.box.ip" without quotes and obvoisly replacing your ip in there

6. Then it should popup a black screen, by default your user pass is root/dreambox if its not then you know what your password is ;)

7. Once logged in type this command to mount the share on your dreambox from your windows pc

"mount -t cifs -o rw,username=WindowsUsername,password=WindowsPassword //win.dows.ip.address/DREAMBOX/ /mnt/hdd/"

This will mount a share named DREAMBOX from your win.dows.ip.address to your dreambox, replace WindowsUsername and WindowsPassword with your win user/pass.

If you still cant figure this out i will post a small .exe i coded to help out the complete retards :p

Peace ;)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leee said:

just read again and have to concur with my earlier post.

PS: my CIFS share is on my M: drive ;) Just follow the CIFS instruction on ANY folder and you'll be away.

btw in theory it should work with USB1.1 speeds too but I'd stick to 2.0 for the higher burst speeds :)

PS: within the share, ensure you have your movie folder - case-sensitive of course ;)
PPS (hopefully to make it super-clear :p): eg. you have your USB drive as Z: in the PC. Make a folder called dreambox and share it as described in the instructions. Within z:\dreambox, make a folder called movie. So you have z:\dreambox\movie

Why make it so complicated then? All you had to do is to confirm that you indeed need to create the z:\dreambox\movie (or any othet drive letter.) instead of the C/dreambox/movie.

Next question then:
Did anyone have several mounts on his dreambox to computer to different HD? So you can record to wherever you'd like?

P.S I did indeed write a few of the guide, but many contributions come from forum users. And once I have tested this USB thing I will add it to the guide so next time when you send someone to read the guide it will be there.

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
you're mounting /hdd to your z:\dreambox and that's what it'll use to record....you could mount to other points on your PC but I can't see how to tell the DB to use them.

You could try using Windows "links" (shortcuts) so that content stored on other drives can be used from the DB File menu for playback?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, if you are not using automout then you can go into the mount settings, mount to where you want to record and then record.

The problem I have is this: My kids know how to playback from the computer. But sometimes I want to record a movie which is not for them, and ideally I would like to hide it from them.

I think I tried the shortcut, but it does not work (at least I could not find a method for it).

I would really be happy if there was some sort of solution for it...:confused

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
aha, your p*rn stash, no longer under the bed!

do they have access to the computer? The "movies" might be vunerable anyway, unless you create a subdirectory under movies with permissions tied-down and then umount and mount the different share....

but if they have admin rights to the PC then they can take ownership so....you're screwed :(

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lol no mature content on my computer...but sometimes I will record a movie that is not for 9 - 12 year olds, or other late night stuff. Does not have to be mature content, I am pretty rigid with what they are allowed to watch...

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Have you sorted it? The dir in the mount page is the name that your PC uses for the share. This dir can be on any drive- mine is F:\

You could always make a folder called zztop and put it in there- they'd never look :-rofl2