PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Given the general tenor of the comments posted so far may I suggest it be renamed "The Bile and Venom" section?

Mind you, nothing wrong with a bit of bile I say.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
What use is a critic who has only good and godly things to say about film, TV or radio? There's no bile, they're just comments with a slight injection of caustic mirth hammered in. :D

And Paul, by definition,a "critic" criticizises, not praises to the hilt everything he or she sees, or hears.

If you're referring to me, I do praise The Vaults of Horror, but I cannot help but NOT heap praise on the Sham-shack Redemption because A) I think it's mediocre, and :cool: why the heck should it be named "2nd best film ever" when it's basically it's rubbish, and a few hundred thousand films are much better than it - in my view. :D

I get your meaning Paul, but some of the best critics use their caustic keyboards, ie Garry Bushell, and one of the best ever Alexander Walker, now sadly deceased - he who worked for The London Evening Standard.

Best wishes, from Saturlight. :) ;) :D

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Saturlight

I wasn't refering to you, just an observation in general! I also agree that criticism should not be fawning. As I said it was an observation.

And I don't believe that I was being uncomplimentary either. Long may this section flourish!

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
In my opinion a lot of critics are crap, often missing the sense of a film completely. Then writing an article which attempts to project themselves rather than the film they have 'supposed' to have seen.:rolleyes:

The best critic of films FOR ME is ME.:)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Critics are feared and hated by theatre directors and actors, since a bad review can quickly close a show, which has taken much effort and money to produce. Imagine working hard for months, then being publicly humiliated by somebody without any understanding of what you've done, and might just have been in a bad mood that particular night!

I well remember seeing on tv Tim Rice, standing on the stage after the final London performance of Superstar's original West End run, in 198x, ending his short speech with "up yours, Bernard Levin" (have been unable to locate Levin's review, presumably in The Times).

Films aren't quite so vulnerable, because they can be provisionally shown to test audiences, then re-edited if necessary. Even a poor film is likely to at least break even.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
spiney said:
Even a poor film is likely to at least break even.

'at least' - Wrong! [there could be a whole discussion on that]

Steven Segal got the message and then promptly started to exec produce and deliver straight to video, hehe.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
BarMoo said:
'at least' - Wrong! [there could be a whole discussion on that]

Well, there's the cinema release. Then first run on pay per view tv. Then the DVD. Then subscription tv. Then repeated showings on free to air tv. All these, and all over the world! Films 50 years old still generate revenue for their current owners.

PS, I see you've kept Pugwash!

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Studios have always considered theatrical release revenue as the base for making money and breaking-even on a project. The rest only provides more: as any collector of the 'Alien' series will know.

Yes, I re-worked mhku's pug idea.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm with Jimbo on critics, I have watched and enjoyed many many film which have been panned by the critics and equally been bored silly by some films critically acclaimed as masterpieces.

I would guess that the critics can have a bigger influence on the success of live theatre launches, as the theatre going public are more likely to read their reviews.

I do find very often that critical reviews are padded out with confusing psuedo intellectual twaddle, a little like the early NME concert or album reviews. There were times when I would be confused as to what the writer and his thesaurus was trying to say as he became wrapped up in his extreme cleverness and whether indeed, he liked it or not. :)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
rolfw said:
I'm with Jimbo on critics, I have watched and enjoyed many many film which have been panned by the critics and equally been bored silly by some films critically acclaimed as masterpieces.

I would guess that the critics can have a bigger influence on the success of live theatre launches, as the theatre going public are more likely to read their reviews.

I do find very often that critical reviews are padded out with confusing psuedo intellectual twaddle, a little like the early NME concert or album reviews. There were times when I would be confused as to what the writer and his thesaurus was trying to say as he became wrapped up in his extreme cleverness and whether indeed, he liked it or not. :)

You sound like a critic!:-rofl2 :-rofl2

To be fair, I understand your point totally. There was a time (wobble transition) when I was a student in London that I would read the Evening Standard Film Revues and be totally lost by what the guy said. I went to see the films anyway.

Most times (with the exception of Showgirls - the biggest pile of ..) we had differing opinions.

These days the best way to 'judge' a film is to go to the mother of film websites - IMDB - and get some real-world feedback.

See Here.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes I agree Mark (that's a first :-lmao) I use the database quite a lot now. :)