My Satellite Setup
hp7800---perfect arion-1700 clone receiver! +

coolsat 4000pro +

pansat 2500a +

starsat sr-x200ci +

infinity usb+cas interface 2+matrix reloaded
My Location
china
can anybody tell me what kind of signal does receiver generates to controll diseqc switch?? how does the swith knows which port the receiver want to use??

thanx a lot!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hey, you know that's an excellent question, and if you get an answer, I'll be fascinated to read it.

The diseqc 'instruction set' for want of a better name has evolved over the years with the progression from 1.0 to 1.1 and more notably 1.2.

This has given rise to greater funtionality (as you are probably aware).

I think 1.0 just sent information to select one of four available 'positions' which is used to control switching between 4 different LNB's whereas 1.2 can do so much more. I don't have a clue what V2.0 has over 1.2.

A diseqc command can be anything from three to eight bytes in length, and an example would be (in Hexadecimal) E0 31 6E E1 38 (being 5 bytes) though I couldn't tell you what that means in English!

From what I understand, you can have different types of commands such as 'Goto angular position', 'Goto satellite position', 'Drive motor East/West (stepping)' and 'Store satellite position'.

I would like to know (like you) how this data is sent to the motor (or switch) i.e. how it is modulated, and onto which carrier. All I can say is that it's obviously a digital signal based on the nature of the data being sent.

STICK

P.S. Nice post. :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
BGonaSTICK said:
Hey, you know that's an excellent question, and if you get an answer, I'll be fascinated to read it.

The diseqc 'instruction set' for want of a better name has evolved over the years with the progression from 1.0 to 1.1 and more notably 1.2.

This has given rise to greater funtionality (as you are probably aware).

I think 1.0 just sent information to select one of four available 'positions' which is used to control switching between 4 different LNB's whereas 1.2 can do so much more. I don't have a clue what V2.0 has over 1.2.

A diseqc command can be anything from three to eight bytes in length, and an example would be (in Hexadecimal) E0 31 6E E1 38 (being 5 bytes) though I couldn't tell you what that means in English!

From what I understand, you can have different types of commands such as 'Goto angular position', 'Goto satellite position', 'Drive motor East/West (stepping)' and 'Store satellite position'.

I would like to know (like you) how this data is sent to the motor (or switch) i.e. how it is modulated, and onto which carrier. All I can say is that it's obviously a digital signal based on the nature of the data being sent.

STICK

P.S. Nice post. :)

If you've got a few hours to spare, read these specifications offered by the originator of the Diseqc system:-
http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/4_5_5.html

Llew

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Nice one Llew, that's just what I'm going to do (sorry, I didn't mean that to rhyme, but I'm sure as hell not going to change it either!).

One thing I'd really like to create is a standalone application that will allow diseqc control from a Windows platform, and over an IP network. The only problem is that it has to be tied into a specific hardware driver AFAIK. I can't think of any way around it, yet! An API under Linux might be interesting though as well...

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
Llew said:
If you've got a few hours to spare, read these specifications offered by the originator of the Diseqc system:-

Llew
Thanks for posting that link. I found some of those documents quite informative. Paritcularly the "Positioner Application Notes".

Phil.
(Computer Nerd)

rockchang

Reaction score
Website
dvb.nease.net
My Satellite Setup
hp7800---perfect arion-1700 clone receiver! +

coolsat 4000pro +

pansat 2500a +

starsat sr-x200ci +

infinity usb+cas interface 2+matrix reloaded
My Location
china
Llew said:

Llew
Llew ,
thank u for the website you have given us,
its wonderful, I have downloaded all the pdf files and i will read it carefully when i am free~~

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
BGonaSTICK said:
Nice one Llew, that's just what I'm going to do (sorry, I didn't mean that to rhyme, but I'm sure as hell not going to change it either!).

One thing I'd really like to create is a standalone application that will allow diseqc control from a Windows platform, and over an IP network. The only problem is that it has to be tied into a specific hardware driver AFAIK. I can't think of any way around it, yet! An API under Linux might be interesting though as well...
There are a couple of driver circuits shown in the PDF's, one being a slave driver working up to Diseqc 1.2. This would mean programming an OTP, but finding the source code might be difficult.
An easier circuit using a PIC is also shown, but there may be not enough Diseqc commands available to make it worth building. Still, it might make a good 'starter' project for you to while away a few winter evenings.

Llew