A question from a Newbie

J

Joostan

I am thinking of buying a WinTV DVB -s. I live in Cramlington (Nr Newcastle) and have been given an old Sky 80cm dish to start with.

Can anyone please give me advice on what LNB would be best to start off with as I don't want to spend too much money just yet.

Also any advice on which sat to point it to (19.2 or ??????).

Also I have read a a few reviews about Europeonline having ISP problems downloading so was wondering if you could use peer to peer software with them or do I have to splash out on DLS / Cable?

Thanks

M

mac2008

For FTA channels on either ASTRA 19.2E or HOTBIRD 13E you need a universal LNB. The cheapeat place at the moment is www.myersaudio.co.uk (Hope it's O.K. giving this link)
For a complete listing of FTA channels on both satellites try
www.satcodx.com
www.lyngsat.com
I'm sure you'll find them both useful. As far as internet by satellite goes, I don't know much, so I hope someone can help.
BTW I live in Ashington

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Re: the p2p usage on Europe online, forget it, the whole system is only really designed for multicast and whilst unicast is possible it is very difficult. If you can get ADSL or cable don't even consider sat internet.

If you want more information on this particular topic, take a look at the Internet by Satellite section, where other issues have been discussed as well.

Rolf

J

Joostan

I had a look at the Internet by Satellite section and you had the free try on Satnode with a KaZaA peak of 330Kb/s. Was that 2 way or 1? Also has anyone got a WinTV DVB card, if so, what are they like?

Ta

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
All of the affordable services are one way, there are two way services available, but you'd need very deep pockets.

Haven't tried the card, but I believe it's very good.

Rolf