A Tough Job!

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Question: Why do England managers (past and present) have difficulty picking a good England squad?

Answer: Because most of the talanted footballers that play in the Premiership go home to play for their Country's

russquk

Reaction score
time to limit clubs on overseas players again maybe,when was it ,the 80`s? i think when they last limited clubs on overseas players and i think the standard of football was not high because of it.that could be the problem.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Trouble is, limits on employment is probably against EU policy.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The argument used to be that they couln't pick a good squad, because they didn't get the class domestic competition, now they have, there is still a problem.

The biggest problem now is that there are not any real underdogs, most of the players in the so called lesser national sides, play in leagues alongside our and the other European super sides.

There is no longer a huge disparity in skills and experience.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Well I think there should be only 3 internationals per club......then the top clubs would put more money and time into their youth academys...........Just to show what kind of mess our beloved F.A is in, the other day I was talking to Joan employed in their admin dept and I questioned Joan about why Les Read (whom is a friend of ours) recently got the sack as the man is a brilliant coach. It turns out that Trevor Brooking did the dastardly deed!..... whom may I add has no where near the knowledge and qualifications that Les has.......Oh yeah I also found out that Brooking is now employing his mates!......So will the F.A now go down a similar road like West Ham U now that Brooking's in charge?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
It may not be the squad that is the problem Waverider.
I think most people were happy with the squad, but I think the manager is the problem.
He did a good job after Keegan left, but now we are struck with a manager who is far to defensive.
When we have to attack (second half against 10 men of Brazil) we could not muster one shot on target.
Against France our attack disappeared, against Switzerland we were lucky to be 1-0 up and only scored twice again because we were up against 10 men.
I wonder what would have happened if the Swiss had been a goal up, would we have scored then.
Then against Portugal what happened to our midfield because as an attacking force they yet again disappeared. We have some great mid fielders (Beckham, Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard), but they rarely attacked to support Owen.
When we did move forward Campbell scored (that was a goal) and Lampard equalized, so Portugal could be scored against but you have to be moving in the right direction and that is down to the manager.
With Ericsson in charge we will win nothing, and as for the next World Cup forget it.
If only we could change managers with Portugal then maybe.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
@ Rob.....have to agree with you m8 Sven IS tactically nieve.....I mean to say WHAT IS! Phillip Nevill doing in the squad let alone playing in such an important match?...especially when there where two good left players on the bench to replace Scolls!

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
P.S Vassell was not the right choice of sub for Rooney either!

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Mind you who is going to replace Rooney. As for Vassell I quite like him (ba#ta#d always scores against us) but I would have tried Dyer.
As for Phil Neville he makes the tea O-Ha

Mind you could have been worst for you, Ericsson could have been Chelsea manager, about Fulham's best chance of beating you lot. :D

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Yep...should have gone for Dyer. Although we were second best we still could have won that game. As for Sven, hopefully he'll go. I don't like the way he sits on the bench looking cold as ice.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
@ Rob....well m8 had it been me making the decisions Rooney would have been replaced with Heskey as he links well with Owen.....drops deep to find the ball and his strength nackers defenders

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
@ Jimbo .....YES! YES! YES!........that would have been the right choice playing Dyer. As for Philip Nevill shouldnt he be cleaning boots and tightening studs m8?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Your right about Heskey he does knacker defenders, only trouble is it's usually ours.
Didn't he needlessly give away the free-kick from which France equalized, sorry must disagree with you there Waverider.
For such a large powerful man he should have had a much better goal/game return for Liverpool & England.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Yes and no!.....but when you take into account all of his international games with Owen he has done O'k and scored too!

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
waverider said:
Yes and no!.....but when you take into account all of his international games with Owen he has done O'k and scored too!
How can Heskey score when he spends 80 minutes on his arse. :rolleyes:

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
@ Jimbo.....LOL he has manged to stop falling over these last two seasons m8.....but you have to agree Jim he is a strong player

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
The only reason he's stopped falling over for the last two season's is that he is now being played in his best position - on the bench ! O-Ha

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
LOL....ok Rob I don't there is any reason to take this subject further m8.......(in case I trip up) :D