http://www.galaxybackups.fsnet.co.uk/skysmartbox.htm
i think they are conmen
anyone heard of working confirmation ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes Deadk, not a con in the sense that it doesn't work at all, only in that it only works for a limited amount of views. The card becomes constipated after it has reached it's credit limit and the only way to continue watching PPV is to reconnect to the phone line, after which you will be billed. There are several threads concerning this over the past few months.

Rolf

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
I live in Germany and I'm considering getting the box because I dont want the PPVs anyway, but if I can get them for free, even if only for a limited time, why not ? How many PPVs is it on average before the credit limit has been reached ? Once I've reached my credit limit, does the box only tell me of this if I try to order another PPV or is it permanently on the screen no matter what channel I'm watching.
Cheers,
Methos.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As far as i know it only disables the PPV when the card is full.

YOU DON'T NEED TO BUY THE BOX

and I cannot stress that too strongly, the box is a con in that it does nothing that only briefly connecting the Digibox to a phone line doesn't do. It is also quite simnple to go into the installer menu and insert a prefix, the Digibox will test for a phone line and will find one, but will not be able to dial out. In Germany it doesn't even need to be disconnected, as the number it rings will not connect to anything.

rolf

schematic

Reaction score
Why buy the box ? you would be better off making your own, it's only a BT box and 9v battery, it would much cheaper.
And someone i suppose would tell you what pins the 9v batt connects too. But personnaly i would'nt bother, once you reach the £50 credit limit the box is then useless.

Regards

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-Apr-02 AT 08:44 PM (GMT)]Agreed Schematic, but what I'm saying is that you don't even need to invest in a battery. Go into *******Then****** *******Then enter*,*, *******Then go into******* *********** and add ********** ******* of 9, then save and bingo. :)

Rolf

PS. Still the same result, one very constipated box after 12-15 films.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Shame on you Rolf

Youre a bad influence

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Oops, yes that was a bit naughty wasn't it. :) :) Rectified now

Wonder if anyone saw it. :7

Rolf

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
>As far as i know it only disables the PPV when the card is
>full.
>
>YOU DON'T NEED TO BUY THE BOX
>
>and I cannot stress that too strongly, the box is a con in
>that it does nothing that only briefly connecting the
>Digibox to a phone line doesn't do. It is also quite simnple
>to go into the installer menu and insert a prefix, the
>Digibox will test for a phone line and will find one, but
>will not be able to dial out. In Germany it doesn't even
>need to be disconnected, as the number it rings will not
>connect to anything.
>
>rolf

Hi, this doesn't work. When I try to order something, it just says telephone line not connected. I contacted the bloke about the box and he reckoned that his box resetted the card each month ?!?!?!?!?!
You have to be careful not to reach the 50 pound limit though as the box can only reset the card and once you have reached fifty pound this is then stored on the digibox and his box cant reset that.
What do you think ??
Methos.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You may find that if your box has never been connected to a phone line it will not work, they will not have you confirmed as having the box connected. When you say it doesn't work, do you have the phone actually connected? it has to be connected to a proper line at least once (didn't work on cable phones as they didn't give out a CLID), you can test this by going into system setup and doing the system check, it will check for a phone connection.

The little "magic Box" cannot possibly reset the card, this is done by satellite download.

Rolf

albundy2552

Reaction score
hi there just wondering if you could tell me how to wire up my 9v battery to my sky so i can get free films n stuff thanx very much

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Did you not read the thread? It is not a working hack, it only temporarily avoids paying for the PPV films.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
albundy2552

Please read the rest of posting above. This a very limited hack that only works for a very short time. When the limit is reached then, unless you pay for the backlog of PPV films that you have watched, you cannot watch any more PPV.

PaulR

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
actually, I believe that these hack solutions do have a use; not avoiding/delaying paying for PPV but in actually fooling the box that a phone is connected.

I believe this logic is applied when I try to record PremPlus - the logic is that it first checks for working phone connection and *then* checks if you're authorised already.....and my box is not and never will be connected to a phone line so this would be useful.

I don't want to rip Sky off, just to work around their logic.

My present workaround is to manually record PremPlus....so it's not sooo bad.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
But doesn't Sky see in their logs that someone have ordered PPV outside U.K and Ireland and they would lock the card?

Is there some way to watch PPV so you don't get caught? i mean paying for the PPV but not risking to have the card locked out.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
It’s not in Sky’s interest to catch subscribers outside the UK. They are subscribers, which pay money, phoning to order a PPV event which costs money.

Developing a system to catch viewers outside the UK, (which would cost them to employ) with the ultimate goal or loosing subscribers just doesn’t make sense.

If they just turn a blind eye to where the call is coming from (if they even know) then it’s much easier for everyone.

People always warn about phoning up from abroad saying they could easily check where the call is coming from, but the (rather expensive) digi dialler that allows a box to dial the UK from abroad is selling well. I have seen no reports of people having problems related to sky stopping their subscription because the box is calling from abroad, so why should phoning up in person be any different?