About time too - Live music licence no longer required for small venues

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Venues with a capacity of under 200 people will no longer need a licence for live amplified music.

The change in law is part of a government move to free businesses from red tape, which ministers say will give them more freedom to grow.

UK Music, which represents the music industry, estimates that the Live Music Act could enable 13,000 more venues to start holding live music events.

More

Great news for pubs, small clubs and Bands.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
That should stop 'em bothering me once a year to confirm I'm _not_ playing music in a public place.
Believe it or not ..I frequently got phone calls asking me if I had a radio or TV on in my small shop/workshop..that played music to the public.

Of course I have TV's and radios on ..I have to or I can't mend 'em ..
They aren't to entertain anyone ...its a neccessity.
Problem is they had a problem grasping this concept..so I told them ..I ain't paying ..and if you wan't to send someone to check ..that would be fine and I'll even make 'em a nice cup of tea..
They never did send anyone ..but I still got those frequent calls and annoying letters ..
I just filed them under R for Rubbish..in my special round metal filing container.
rgds
VS

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, that's another thing altogether, you're speaking of PRS and PPL, they're still sniffing around, had them call me as well, asked if I played the radio at my place of work, told them yes, but wasn't sure that a van came under commercial premises.

Here's some crackers though concerning PRS. (via Wikipedia)

"n October 2009, the PRS apologised to a 56-year-old shelf-stacker at a village in Clackmannanshire for pursuing her for singing to herself while stacking shelves. PRS initially told her that she would be prosecuted and fined thousands of pounds if she continued to sing without a "live performance" licence. However PRS subsequently acknowledged its mistake"

"In one case it told a 61-year-old mechanic that he would have to pay £150 to play his radio while he worked by himself. It also targeted a bakery that played a radio in a private room at the back of the shop. a woman who used a classical radio to calm her horses and community centres that allowed children to sing carols in public"

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
There are times that licensing is just a joke, some licences I can understand perfectly well, like driving licences, alcohol licences, gun licences, dog licences, etc. as they're for safety and to prove a qualification for doing something, but, a licence for expressing your feelings through songs in a public place, or listening to the radio while you work? Seriously, they are having a laugh (at people's expense no less)... :rolleyes:

Still, if they can extract money from something, they'll come up with an enforced licence for it... :rolleyes:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just last night there was an episode of Southpark on Viva where Cartman was able to deal with hippies.