Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
There I was minding my own business posting on the forum and zap my internet connection went down Bo**ocks I thought suddently autoconnect kicks in and Bam connected at 2.2 Mb/s for the price of 560K. There is a noticable difference but not so much as a quantum leap as was noticed going from 56k dial up to half meg broadband.

Bt did inform me a couple of days ago but wasn't expecting it so soon

:-thumb1 :-clap1 :-rub

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I recently got broadband and was expecting it to be 512. According to the icon in the in-tray it's 2.2 mbps but the acid test is to go to h++p://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp and do a proper test.

Just done mine and it gives an downstream/upstream figure of 470/202 kbps. This gives an estimated true figure of 507/218 - the difference being down to data overheads and other non-useful data.

I'd be interested to see what you get on the test.

PaulR

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
PaulR said:
I'd be interested to see what you get on the test.
PaulR

Direction...... Actual Speed............ True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 1807 Kbps (225.9 KB/sec) 1951 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 245 Kbps (30.6 KB/sec) 264 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Got to say I was impressed by the results Paul, had to download java 2 to get the results though.

:-thumb1
I'll use a table next time

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Sheer favouritism. Ive been with BTfor yonks and they sent the letters round last week about updating the broadband speed, but here its still 466/247

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
My thoughts entirely. I see they're rolling out 1 and 2 meg updates to new customers first, then we come later.

As an aside, we ex- BT wallahs used to get a discount on our broadband connection but that's now disappeared in a puff of smoke now.

Llew

H

Happy-Buddah

@Llew

They (BT) never gave us any favours when we worked for them so why should you expect any now (;) ;) lol)?
H-B

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I was offered mine a month or so back and I've been with them almost since ADSL launch, it was also coincidentally a week after I'd left them for Bulldog. :)

I did notice though, it carried a cap on usage and my previous package didn't.

brewby

Reaction score
rolfw said:
I was offered mine a month or so back and I've been with them almost since ADSL launch, it was also coincidentally a week after I'd left them for Bulldog. :)

I did notice though, it carried a cap on usage and my previous package didn't.
BULLDOG RULEZ, never had a problem apart from bt outage recently. constant connection, no capping just raw broadband great!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Llew said:
My thoughts entirely. I see they're rolling out 1 and 2 meg updates to new customers first, then we come later.
As an aside, we ex- BT wallahs used to get a discount on our broadband connection but that's now disappeared in a puff of smoke now.
Llew

Yes must be favouritism but we have been with BT since it began internet services so that is one theory out of the window. Just depends on location I believe. Patience is a virtue (arn't I smug lol). But yes I agree Llew it is not fair that ex employees cannot benefit in the way they used to, they obviously think your "severence package" was sufficient (assuming you got one of course). Nowadays the discounting is all done via salaries, not mine of course my missus's
:-cry1

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Can't complain about the release terms offered, it being the first and most generous - they lost a lot of skilled people, which they came to regret afterwards.
Suited me fine (divorced, mortgage paid) and wasn't in any hurry to look for other employment.
Still think they're penny-pinching taking away the discount. Have to check out some of the other providers.

Llew

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Llew said:
Still think they're penny-pinching taking away the discount. Have to check out some of the other providers.
Llew

I totally agree Llew I just do not think they have thought about that aspect, or maybe that is the point and they have! I can certainly recommend zen.co.uk ( I use them at work and it is a bit cheaper) but as yet no good deals as with BT 2.2Mb for price of 560Kb. If I hear anything on the vine I'll let you know as there must be a lot of people in the same situation. As an after thought it cost them a lot of dosh to re-employ key managers and engineers they (were misguided enough) to let go and some came back as consultants on a lot more dosh and are still cleaning up.:-nuts :-nuts

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Still 439/264 at this end. Wondering when its all going turbo

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Channel Hopper said:
Still 439/264 at this end. Wondering when its all going turbo
Dunno CH we always seem to be the guinee pigs up here and this hasn't taken place entirely without problems, was not able to reconnect two night ago when I rebooted after volume check but was OK yesterday in the morning. It is really not that exciting to be honest just a bit speedier as I am sure you will soon find out

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Got this E-mail today. :)

Strange that they are having problems, particularly as I have now had Bulldog 2Mb for over two months. :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
Got this E-mail today. :)

Strange that they are having problems, particularly as I have now had Bulldog 2Mb for over two months. :D

Yes not too clever really for a communications company that hasn't yet realised you are no longer a customer

:-comp well they have to blame something

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I just signed up to Bulldog 4MB- hope they're gonna do the biz....

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Keep mum, and you might get 4M down the pipe in a week or so

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
That would be nice, unfortunately the 4Meg is not in my area yet, but apparently coming soon. :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Still 459/259 this end

I did see a personal letter come through the post last week, and glancing over it, looked like a different contract needed to be signed.

Odd, maybe because its a private line for the call but a business broadband link.