Acronyms

G

gprocter

I am new to satellite TV and have a motorised dish. I am trying to read the Lyngsat list but do not know what the ancronyms mean.

In particular: SID; VPID; APID.

Is there a list of acronyms used somewhere please?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that they stand for:

Station Identifier SID

Video Packet Identifier VPID

Audio packet Identifier APID

There are many people who use these acronyms and don't know their exact meaning, me being one of them :). I find it easier to remember these sort of things if I know what they really mean.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Laymans terms

PIDs are those numbers at the end of any internet list that determine whether your system is up to receiving a channel or bouquet after the normal parameters of frequency, polarity Symbol rate, and FEC.

If these are correct then more often than not you receiver will pick up the channel automatically, name it, asign an audio list for multiple languages and bring in the right number of radio channels with it.

Sometimes however the awkward channels will be broadcasting slightly outside parameters that are deemed DVB compliant. When this happens you can on most receivers go into an advanced menu to set these PIDs in Decimal or (less commonly) Hexadecimal notation.

PIDs if set will help liberate the broadcast, but you will not see the true name, one audio stream, and leave you with just one channel of any bouquet once searched.

They are also useful for trying to lock into a signal thats just on the threshold of reception.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Here's quite a good glossary of terms, doesn't cover the above acronyms, but is useful all the same.
Satellite Terms Glossary

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Nice one 2old, I've stuck it to the top.