Actually watching satellite "properly"

munkey

I luuurve Bananas
Reaction score
My Location
Whipsnade
I've realised that I spend more time gathering information and playing around with my elvis than I do watching satelite tv. This seems a bit odd, considering you would have thought that after spending ages turning a black screen into a picture, I would at least watch it for a while. I wonder if I'm nuts :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No Munkey, you're very similar to the vast majority of regular posting hobbyists, myself included. :) The fun is in the achievement.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Most of us strive to achieve a picture by any means

If your search is because the signal is too weak, then thats simply DXing, which started with man trying to find out what was beyond the horizon, only possible by travelling there to start with. Then telegraphs and radio came along, allowing conversations with people beyond the horizon. Satellite is the logical extension, though strictly speaking we are simply trying to receive a signal thats already broadcast, rather than improving the means at both the transmit and the receive end.

For most the interest is in the achieving, rather than continuing to reap the benefits.

Maybe we are all munkeys and nuts!

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
We're the ones the arty-farties refer to as 'nerds', 'anoraks' and 'geeks'. We're the sad bastards encouraged to 'get a life'.

But when the luvvies' computers crash or their designer dishwahers blow up, they can't wait to find the man with a screwdriver in his top pocket to restore their urbane and civilised lifestyle.

Would you want to fly in an aircraft designed by a theatre critic?

You're not nuts, Munkey; you just have an inquisitive mind.

wolsty

:-)

munkey

I luuurve Bananas
Reaction score
My Location
Whipsnade
Hey, I'm glad I'm not alone :) I had a feeling that most people on this board were the same in that way, but I wasn't sure.

How long have you guys been into this?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hate to admit it Munkey, but I started off many years ago with CB radio, using standard frequencies or sideband, a burner and big antennas to see if I could reach the US. Then some time after that was BSB and the squarial, DX attempts with terrestrial antennas etc.

Rolf

PRINCE

Reaction score
My Location
uh::
Hi,

I have been thinking about this lately myself,I spent ages trying to get hispasat, breaks two motors in the process and now I have got it,I can be bother moving the dish there.All I was trying to do was find an alternative to Sky, I am now addicted to this hobby. I can't even stay away when I am at work.

Regards

Prince

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
This is all very true and applies to most of us. I'm getting on in years and thought I was past my sell by date. One day I just got tired of normal television and wouldn't pay for alternative viewing.
Bought myself a sat receiver a Mac decoder a couple of cards and as they say the rest is history. I don't watch too much television, but I read and read and read the forums. I experiment. I fail sometimes because all receivers are different.....a case of trial and error, but I am alive and mentally active, not stagnating into a worn out old couch potato.
Yes programmes are becoming fewer, but that makes the challenge only greater.

As always, thanks to all those people everywhere who have helped so many so much.
Allan.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I startedfrom an early age with listening to Shrotwave radio and then seeing a tv my father built, I was bitten

Took hold of about 40 old tvs from a TV repair shop chucking them out and managed to repair half of them.

Left college after studyng communications and Electronics and got a job in a shop selling satellite systems among TVs and Philips first generation VCRs. Then started helping on installs

Things have changed but the old saying still remains
Bigger dish means better signal / more channels

munkey

I luuurve Bananas
Reaction score
My Location
Whipsnade
I'm still a newbie compared to you guys. I only started coz a mate who wanted free tv nagged me into helping him. Since then I've been reading alot and learning gradually.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Addictive, isn't it?

Complaints from your wife are the next instalment.

wolsty

:+

munkey

I luuurve Bananas
Reaction score
My Location
Whipsnade
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-Jul-02 AT 11:32 PM (GMT)]My girlfriend thinks I'm pretty clever, but has nagged a bit. Oh well, there's always european mature content chanels. With those and the internet the poor lass has some competition.

Did XXL ever have a headache? Methinks not. ;)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
'Complaints from your wife are the next instalment.'

Wolsty, that was NOT constructive, and since my wife happens to glance over at odd times to see what I am reading, she now believes this forum is some form of conspiracy plot, to see how far males can push the patience envelope.

It took me four hours to persuade her that there really are professional reasons for logging on to satellites.co.uk.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Oh dear, CH. My apologies for inadvertently suggesting that the site is a male conspiracy.

I am duly chastened.

I speak only from experience and, since I can claim no professional interest, my wife thinks my hobby is just extended self-indulgence.

I can understand, however, that this site provides valuable information for those members who have to earn a living in this field, so I'm sure that you'll find a way of justifying the attention you give to it.

wolsty

:+

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I thought Id got away with it but then my wife remembered your offer of a beer next time Im in Cornwall.

Oh dear - she now thinks its a virtual drinking den !

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Judjing by the comments with respect to partners etc it seams that I must be one of the luck one's.

My lady does not seam to bother at all about the hobby, even when I dug up the garden to put in the 3.7 mtr.

Old Satellite

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Two beers, I think, CH. To compensate you for the embarrassing predicament in which I placed you.

wolsty

x(

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
@ Old Satellite, your dish is bigger than my garden. ;)

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
10cms more than mine (in diameter as well)

That why I dont impress the other half when Im on here