actuator

nikione

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyStar2 2.6 PCI - 90cm old Sky dish w/Universal LNB - and more "recycled" dishes (there are 5 on my roof .. not being used !)
My Location
West of Scotland
Hi,

Tried to have a look but couldn't find a post related.

I am VERY new and inexperienced but I have managed to setup a 80cm "normal" round plain dish with a "low-noise" fortec LNB twin feed and a HH90.

It is kind of working, apart for the HH90 having fittings made for 5m diamater poles (...) and the "backlash" (I think ..) as the dish vertically is very unstable .. and I live on the west coast of scotland which means that the mounting has to be PERFECT or you're back on the roof every 2 days.

ANYHOW .. I am now thinking of adding to that an actuator to control elevation. I find many actuators around however I have not understood the following:
- What's the difference between lengths of actuators ? (How much they can elevate etc. ?)
- Can I know from the length if it supports a specific dish diameter ? How to tell if it supports my dish ?

The two feeds from that LNB + a feed from a second fixed dish are used with a cheap FTA digital receiver and a SS2.

Is there some sw or setup out there to automate blind scan via a SS2 which also moves the dish to different positions and scans each transpoder ?

Tnx !

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Eh??

I assume you mean 50mm not 5mm. What is wrong with a 50mm diameter pole? For a little dish with a nice strong scaffold, it should be sufficient.

The HH-90 is a problem though, too much backlash and play. The Motecks and Technomate motors are far better in this respect.

If you have it set up properly and not needing to do anything out of the ordinary with your system, an actuator to adjust the elevation is totally unecessary.

That type of adjustment is applied to the more expensive, maybe larger, normally polar mounted motorised systems. It can be used for inclined orbit satellites and the like, not for correcting a badly setup H-H motor

nikione

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyStar2 2.6 PCI - 90cm old Sky dish w/Universal LNB - and more "recycled" dishes (there are 5 on my roof .. not being used !)
My Location
West of Scotland
5m was intended as 5 meters .. and was just a figure of speech meaning that it's HUGE and for small poles it's troublesome to fix properly.

About the actuator .. I've put too much stuff in the same post ... it wasn't intended to fix that problem but to have more flexibility in pointing to "any" satellite visible to me.

Is there any guide around on use of actuators for average size disks ?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Size required depends on the length of movement needed.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
satelliteman said:
Size required depends on the length of movement needed.

That's so true in many walks of life.