Adding Astra 19.2 to existing multi feed.

Copecchia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multi-LNB (Astra 28.2 - Hotbird 13E) + Generic Dual Tuner, 10000 Channels HD Sat Decoder
Self Built Phenom II (Quad 3.1Ghz CPU) 8GB RAM, 256GB Kingston SDD, Radeon HD7450 1GB
My Location
South-West London
Hi
As per subject, I have an 80cm Dish (in south west london) currently setup with a multifeed pointing to Hotbird 13E and Astra 28.2 There is enough space to add an additional LNB which I intened to align to Astra 19.2.

I did not set this up but I believe that Hotbird is primarily focused from the dish where the offset is on Astra 28.2. The center LNB is set to Hotbird and I can see that the multifeed holder is raising up when looking at the LNB aligned to Astra 28.

My question is whether I would need to re-align the dish to add Astra19.2 to have this to the center or if I may be just lucky in mounting the new LNB closer to the Hotbird one?

Dishpoint calculation taken from my location are as follows but I am not sure whether the installer referred to any of this as he used professional satellite detector with a tv display in it.

I have listed trajectories of both single and mutifeed setup:

13E EUTELSAT 3C | EUTELSAT HOT BIRD 13B | EUTELSAT HOT BIRD 13C

Elevation: 29.8°
Azimuth (true): 163.4°
Azimuth (magn.): 164.4°
LNB Skew [?]: -10.3°
Turn counter-clockwise standing behind the dish

19.2E ASTRA 1KR | ASTRA 1L | ASTRA 1M | ASTRA 1N

Elevation: 28.4°
Azimuth (true): 155.8°
Azimuth (magn.): 156.9°
LNB Skew [?]: -7.3°

28.2E ASTRA 2A | ASTRA 2C | ASTRA 2D | ASTRA 2F

Elevation: 25.4°
Azimuth (true): 145.4°
Azimuth (magn.): 146.4°
LNB Skew [?]: -13.2°

28.2E, 19.2E(c), 13E

Elevation: 28.4°
Azimuth (true): 155.8°
Azimuth (magn.): 156.9°
Dish Skew [?]: 76.2°

Like I said, should I need to reinstall the LNB in a different way? Like for example having Hotbird attached to the main bracket and Astra's at the sides? or should I just try to add Astra 19.2 close to Hotbird?

Thanks for thoughts in advance.

A

archive10

Just add 19.2 between the main focus (13E) and 28.2E.
19.2 is quite strong, and so happy to live a bit off-focus.
can you post a pic or two of your LNB-holders? How to add the 19.2E depends on the brackets you have....
You may want to get a narrow LNB (although I doubt it with an 80cm dish - you should be ok with any LNB...).

Copecchia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multi-LNB (Astra 28.2 - Hotbird 13E) + Generic Dual Tuner, 10000 Channels HD Sat Decoder
Self Built Phenom II (Quad 3.1Ghz CPU) 8GB RAM, 256GB Kingston SDD, Radeon HD7450 1GB
My Location
South-West London
Hope they not too dark, I have taken a couple of pics. I believe the lnb bracket is the same as the one seen on Amazon as per bracket.jpg
Thanks

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0586.JPG
    DSC_0586.JPG
    672.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0587.JPG
    DSC_0587.JPG
    614.7 KB · Views: 60
A

archive10

Looks fairly ok. Not supposing you have a spare LNB holder for that bracket?
Else buy one of amazon (as you indicate), or whatever works for you.
You may want o consider a slim LNB, e.g an Inverto 23mm or similar.
They'll do fine with 19.2E, though, it's mostly a matter of physically fitting the LNB nexts to the others.

Now, the key question: Do you have any experience adding LNBs to a set-up?
You will need some fiddling to get the placement of the new LNB rights, and you need to run another cable.
Unless you want to put a DiSEqC switch on the dish, in which case you still need to make cables, just shorter ones...

Copecchia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South-West London
Ideally I just need someone holding the ladder as the surface on the front is a bit uneven, I can actually use the window cill perhaps as I seen the guy installing the dish doing this but I dont really want to call him back as I think he was nothing really good and he will charge me for this where I think can do the job where I need to buy a separate holder (which by the way I cant find unless buying the all bracket like the one in the picture. there is a german reseller doing it for almost 7 pounds all together) the DiSEqC switch is already there with space for two more LNB. I need a cable for this, I was wondering if these listed here are okay for the task?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Short-1M-...983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53fc03a19f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-C...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4177f22d1f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HQ-Satell...065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20eaae4d49

Thanks

Copecchia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South-West London

Copecchia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South-West London
st1, I also wanted to ask you as you can see in the pic attached (sorry for being outfocused) the distance of LNB's to the dish seem slighlty different from one LNB to another, The center one to Hotbird (The black one) is mounted closer to the dish than the one to Astra 2. Is this important when setting up the additional LNB to Astra 1?

Thanks

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France

Copecchia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South-West London

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
On a multisat setup, the lnb's should follow a curve in relation to the dish surface so that they can receive the mirrored signal from the required satellite. Have a look at the attached photo of my set up on a Penta 85 dish. Focus LNB is at 9E and then from centre to the left are 13E, 16E and 19E.

Penta 85 multisat.JPG

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Thanks, In that case is not suitable, I rather go for this one then which is 40mm in diameter?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triax-Sin...e5&clk_rvr_id=810311602010&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true
The problem is the physical space available. You'll be able to fit in a 23mm LNB more easily (and have more adjustment room). They are normally supplied with adapters so you can hang a 23mm neck from a 40mm bracket. Note: narrow LNBs are something of a compromise and in my experience do not perform as well in fringe conditions, especially in bad weather. However: you're after 19.2E, so you're not in a fringe situation :)

Copecchia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South-West London
The problem is the physical space available. You'll be able to fit in a 23mm LNB more easily (and have more adjustment room). They are normally supplied with adapters so you can hang a 23mm neck from a 40mm bracket. Note: narrow LNBs are something of a compromise and in my experience do not perform as well in fringe conditions, especially in bad weather. However: you're after 19.2E, so you're not in a fringe situation :)
Looking at the bracket I can see enough space to fit a similar LNB to the one already pointing to Hotbird, I thought to by the one pointed in my previous message, the Triax one. I do not see a curve on the bracket probably as my dish is not curved as your is but definitely the bracket is going upwards on the side of the LNB pointing to Astra 2 and perhaps the installer made up the curve by having the LNB to Astra 2 slighty farer to the dish of probably 1 or 2 cm?

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Looking at the bracket I can see enough space to fit a similar LNB to the one already pointing to Hotbird, I thought to by the one pointed in my previous message, the Triax one. I do not see a curve on the bracket probably as my dish is not curved as your is but definitely the bracket is going upwards on the side of the LNB pointing to Astra 2 and perhaps the installer made up the curve by having the LNB to Astra 2 slighty farer to the dish of probably 1 or 2 cm?
You might get away with sticking a 40mm in there, only way to find out is by trying :) Personally I'd probably go for a 23mm; others may have a different opinion. If you can borrow a 40mm LNB to try it out that would be perfect. On occasion I have *carefully* bent brackets by hand in order to point the LNB directly at the dish, but just to reiterate: you're shooting for 19.2E which is pretty powerful where you are and indeed all over Europe. Even if your installation isn't 100% ideal you should get a result.