Adult Channels Quality on Hot Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
There are numerous adult channels on Hot Bird, both FTA and encrypted.
The FTA channels are mostly for telephone services and usually have appalling quality.
The encrypted channels are either part of a package or on it's own.
The dedicated ones can be watched by buying a smartcard with an optimal price for a subscription of 12 months.

Unless one has watched the channels, it is very difficult to decide on which smartcard to buy and a lot of subscribers who bought the 12 months smartcards, discover in the first few hours that they have got a bad deal and that they are stuck with a card that gives low quality channels and lousy programming for a whole year.

The quality of the channels can be easily measured for the Dreambox models, even without opening the channels, by using a plugin called bitrate monitor.
I installed bitrate monitor version 1.3 on DreamBox 7000S.

Below is shown a table of the encrypted channels on Hot Bird with the bitrate for their video and audio so that one can check in advance what to expect from these channels in terms of quality and hopefully it will help to make the right decision on which smartcard to buy.
Use the horizontal and vertical scrolls on the html page to navigate.

Channels with video bitrate below 2000 kb/s should be avoided since the picture would hardly have VCR quality and not what we expect in this modern age a DVD or even HD quality.

Don't be tempted to buy a smartcard which has tens of channels before you can somehow see all the channels in their package.
In fact you would be better of with just one good quality channel than tens of low quality channels.

I dare these operators to open their channels for few days every month so that viewers can see what they would actually get when they part with their money.
Better still to avoid the possibility of minors watching these channels, provide a smartcard for a whole week for testing and after that see if you want to be stuck for a whole year with such quality and content.

Another point to take into consideration is if the package has a good website where one can get a weekly or monthly schedule, with the exact time for each feature film so that one wouldn't miss the begining or the end.

[iframe]http://www.satellite-newbie.co.uk/sat1/adult_bitrate_hb.html[/iframe]

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well done, a very useful list. :)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Good job. Nice to see you didn't go blind researching that list. ;)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Really useful table and thanks to HB13DISH for taking the time and trouble to put it here. Interesting comparisons in video and sound.

As a general comment I notice that MCT who claim 22 channels have doubled up some recently and one or two don't transmit 24 hours. Some poetic licence in their claim it seems.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Yeah, joking aside, I agree, top notch list. ;)

Dave de Vil

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Phoenix
Hotbird
My Location
UK
HB13DISH said:
Another point to take into consideration is if the package has a good website where one can get a weekly or monthly schedule, with the exact time for each feature film so that one wouldn't miss the begining or the end.

There'd be little point MCT doing this as they frequently chop the end off films anyway, usually denying us the best scene in the movie. Their site makes no attempt to present a schedule; I think they must assume that so few people will renew their subs that it isn't worth bothering with customer services.

sirisang

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
palapa c2
My Location
Indonesia
that is great

lirejo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7020
My Location
portugal
Great Job. It is time to appreciate quality not dubious quantity with very bad picture emission. See the Taquila in Astra 19E or Hispasat30W of excellent picture quality even if a bit repetitive.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
lirejo said:
Great Job. It is time to appreciate quality not dubious quantity with very bad picture emission. See the Taquila in Astra 19E or Hispasat30W of excellent picture quality even if a bit repetitive.

Thanks.
Wish I can, but I need a much bigger dish for Astra 19.2E and Hispasat 30W.
It would be great if someone can post a similar bitrate data to show the quality of adult channels on other satellites.

Apo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 indipendent lnb (astra+hb), switch, 80cm, skystar2, 1800 athlon, decoder Thompson
My Location
italy
very usefull, thanks.

But I think you've forgotten

C Cinéma Frisson 10758000
TPS Star 10758000

sometimes especially on saturday and sunday nights
they work fine....:p

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Apo said:
very usefull, thanks.

But I think you've forgotten

C Cinéma Frisson 10758000
TPS Star 10758000

sometimes especially on saturday and sunday nights
they work fine....:p

Thanks.
The list is intended to be used by people who need to buy an adult smartcard but they are not sure about the quality of the channels in the package. The bitrate numbers can help them to have a quantitative measure beforehand.
The list is not intended to be an Adult TV Channels list on Hot Bird.
The two channels mentioned in your post is part of the TPS package on Hot Bird 13E and their video and audio quality should be about the same as most TPS channels.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
INXTC TV channel on Hot Bird 13E Freq.=10,853 GHz has changed it's name to Free-X Delight.
Included in the InXworld 5-channel smartcard (Dorcel, Free-X TV, Free-X TV2, X-Dream TV and INXTC TV) at a reasonable price, ~ 65 pounds for 12 months and 39 pounds for 6 months. Might be cheaper from Germany, but the shipping cost is around 30 Euro.
INXTC TV smartcards used to be sold by itself, but there seem to be a problem purchasing it from the official website.
The video and audio qualities seem to have improved.
Video bitrate 2300 kb/s compared to 1800 kb/s
Audio bitrate 128 kb/s compared to 96 kb/s
Would be interesting to receive feedback about the quality and films content from members who have official subscription.

It is possible that this channel is now run by a different provider (Now it is by T-Systems).
Unfortunately, there is no schedule or any information about the daily programming titles and films start time.

flashgordon1952

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky amstrad and panasonic systems 6 pack setup. two 42cm dishes.just ordered a technomate 6900HD with motorised system one metre dish. also at another address.twin feed static 80 mm dish non digital system. 6 year old dell with server memory 680 of
My Location
essex in the wilds somewhere
now all i have to do is decide which package to go for. offcourse takeing consideration the times of the channles transmit for any ideas which is best value. ???? on 13E

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
flashgordon1952 said:
now all i have to do is decide which package to go for. offcourse takeing consideration the times of the channles transmit for any ideas which is best value. ???? on 13E

It all depends on the content that you are looking for.
Consider the following points:
- Is there a daily programmes schedule so you know what will be shown?
- Highest quality video bitrate
- 24/7 transmission
- Endless repeats
- Encryption method should be supported by your receiver and CAM
- Cost per channel per day
- Content is not based on low budget indoors shooting
- Is content based on European or American productions?

I might be wrong, but looking at the above table, it looks like Spice (Private Spice) might be the best value for money, even though it has only one channel.

flashgordon1952

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky amstrad and panasonic systems 6 pack setup. two 42cm dishes.just ordered a technomate 6900HD with motorised system one metre dish. also at another address.twin feed static 80 mm dish non digital system. 6 year old dell with server memory 680 of
My Location
essex in the wilds somewhere
yes private spice seems to be the best again how do i know my reciever will accept say VIACCESS cards ie or whatever..So have to know what cards the card holder in the reciever takes the question is which reciever to buy that does not need to be install softeware for VIACCESS etc. ie the software must be built into the card holder ??

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Private Spice comes in Viaccess and Irdeto.
If you don't have a receiver yet, please post a new thread in the Digital Receivers section and ask the questions there, as I want to keep this thread only for what the title says. Thank you.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
There are two new adult channels on Hotbird 13E, provider Telekom Srbija:
- s_x-on-TV Diamond
- s_x-on-TV Gold
Frequency 11,411 MHz, Pol H , SR 27500, FEC 5/6
Website _http://www.s_x-on-tv.com
Checked the bitrate data and they both have a really good quality video bitrate of 2700 kb/s and audio of 64 kb/s.
Resolution estimated at 720x576 pixels or at least 704x576.
So it looks like this provider has quality in mind. Maybe they have read this thread. :)
Encryption: Viaccess or Irdeto
Subscription cost 12 months 129 Euro or 6 months 79 Euro from website.
5.3 Euro/month/channel. Not bad at all, provided that the titles are good and not the usual rubbish from the US.
Although there is a schedule page, the link leads to nowhere.
So don't have your hopes high that they would actually show a detailed schedule.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
s_x-on-TV Diamond and Gold have now active schedule page for today and next day.
Apparently there are several repeats during the 24 hours period, starting 0:01 (midnight)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Two more channels have been added to the s_x-on-TV package in their website:
- s_x-on TV Crystal (New)
- s_x-on TV Silver (New)

The new channels are on Eurobird 9E, Frequency=11938 Pol=H

- s_x-on TV Diamond
- s_x-on TV Gold

Are on Hot Bird 13E

Will check the quality of the new channels and hopefully they will not start degrading the quality in order to add more channels, like what other multi-channels adult packages do.

Although the video bitrate of 2700 kb/s is good, the audio bitrate is too low 64 kb/s which means that one needs to put the volume up in order to listen normally and then when you switch on to another channel with a better audio quality, the volume would be too high.

Edit: Audio bitrate has been changed to 128 kb/s instead of 64 kb/s
So expect an improvement in the sound quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.