(Advanced Newbie) Help! The joys of softcams…..

DarkDeveloper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m Hotbird + 90cm Nilesat dishes. Comag SL100HD CI/MVision MV-9085 USB Net receivers, Windows 7 WMC PC with Pinnacle PCTV 3010x + FloppyDTV
My Location
Middle East
Hi,

I’m fairly new to this Sat TV/PC business and have searched the highways and byways of the forum to gen up on the subject.

I think I know what im doing ;), but would someone be kind enough to help fill in the gaps in my (current) knowledge?

Here we go….

I’ve looked through the forums with regards to *cough* encryption *splutter* related plugins….. and noticed that they seem to require the use of three different plugins.

i.e. Install a viewer (ProgDVB / DVBDream etc.), a softkey and then one of three pieces of software:- S2emu, Vplug or Yankse/Fenrir

I notice that postings these days seem to relate more to S2emu and VPlug (I am assuming that Yankse is an older, more complicated, less popular method??)

Could anyone explain any differences between these different plugins and which is the preferred one? (S2emu seems the simpler, less configurable than VPlug…)

My understanding of Sat encryption is that different channels use different encryption methods (Ireto?, Nagravision? Conax?)

Which channels/encryption methods do the above methods, erm, help with… (I notice Multivision, Private Spice etc often get a mention ;) ). Do I need different s*ftkeys for different encryption methods/channels? (My system points at Hotbird 1 – 5 & Nilesat)

Related to Q2, when I visit a site such as d*b-upload, I get a long list of files with names like:-

T*s_bin 29_30.03.2007.zip
S*ftcam.Key S*xyView Update 29.03.07.zip
T*s.bin up to 30.03.07.zip
Tita1 N*gra2 update D_ 29.03.2007.zip
S*ftCam tps d_ tvcabo.zip
DVB-S Card_Key_Update_290307.zip
Etc.

What exactly am I looking for? I notice that the zips with s*ftcam in the title tend to contain the .key file I am looking for, but what about the rest? (tps.bin?)

Finally, would someone be able help me put all this together?

This is what I understand and am doing so far….

I am using DVBDream, I put S2emu (1.26) and/or VPlug (1.6.2) into the Plugins\pip00 directory along with a .key file (Some of the .key files I have downloaded, I have had to rename to ‘s*ftcam.key’).

I run the ‘copy all plugins’ batch file (which seems to copy the .key file to the \Plugins directory) and then (with VPlug) I go into the VPlug editor and click ‘Select’, ‘Convert’ and finally ‘Update’

I go to some of the channels with the little red V against them (I’ve tried the often mentioned ones - Private Spice/SexyView) and…..get a blank screen….

I checked the .key file (downloaded from a link on d*bskystar.com) and noticed that it is dated 2006, so figure it must be out of date; hence I try some of the keys mentioned in Q3 – same result.

I think the problem may be I am using the wrong key (or clicking on the wrong channels) or the s*ftcam.key is out of date….

However I notice that a lot of the s*ftcam.key files (from d*b-upload) are dated the same day, but the early hours of the morning (i.e. 5am) – do these keys expire that quickly (in a matter of hours?)

Anyway, sorry for all the questions! Hope that someone doesn’t mind helping me out and thanks in advance!

Willyrh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Trying to watch multivision 1-7 channels I have NHE Metabox III can you send me a code
My Location
DarkDeveloper said:
Hi,

I’m fairly new to this Sat TV/PC business and have searched the highways and byways of the forum to gen up on the subject.

I think I know what im doing ;), but would someone be kind enough to help fill in the gaps in my (current) knowledge?

Here we go….

I’ve looked through the forums with regards to *cough* encryption *splutter* related plugins….. and noticed that they seem to require the use of three different plugins.

i.e. Install a viewer (ProgDVB / DVBDream etc.), a softkey and then one of three pieces of software:- S2emu, Vplug or Yankse/Fenrir

I notice that postings these days seem to relate more to S2emu and VPlug (I am assuming that Yankse is an older, more complicated, less popular method??)

Could anyone explain any differences between these different plugins and which is the preferred one? (S2emu seems the simpler, less configurable than VPlug…)

My understanding of Sat encryption is that different channels use different encryption methods (Ireto?, Nagravision? Conax?)

Which channels/encryption methods do the above methods, erm, help with… (I notice Multivision, Private Spice etc often get a mention ;) ). Do I need different s*ftkeys for different encryption methods/channels? (My system points at Hotbird 1 – 5 & Nilesat)

Related to Q2, when I visit a site such as d*b-upload, I get a long list of files with names like:-

Etc.

What exactly am I looking for? I notice that the zips with s*ftcam in the title tend to contain the .key file I am looking for, but what about the rest? (tps.bin?)

Finally, would someone be able help me put all this together?

This is what I understand and am doing so far….

I am using DVBDream, I put S2emu (1.26) and/or VPlug (1.6.2) into the Plugins\pip00 directory along with a .key file (Some of the .key files I have downloaded, I have had to rename to ‘s*ftcam.key’).

I run the ‘copy all plugins’ batch file (which seems to copy the .key file to the \Plugins directory) and then (with VPlug) I go into the VPlug editor and click ‘Select’, ‘Convert’ and finally ‘Update’

I go to some of the channels with the little red V against them (I’ve tried the often mentioned ones - Private Spice/SexyView) and…..get a blank screen….

I checked the .key file (downloaded from a link on d*bskystar.com) and noticed that it is dated 2006, so figure it must be out of date; hence I try some of the keys mentioned in Q3 – same result.

I think the problem may be I am using the wrong key (or clicking on the wrong channels) or the s*ftcam.key is out of date….

However I notice that a lot of the s*ftcam.key files (from d*b-upload) are dated the same day, but the early hours of the morning (i.e. 5am) – do these keys expire that quickly (in a matter of hours?)

Anyway, sorry for all the questions! Hope that someone doesn’t mind helping me out and thanks in advance!
did you get any reply

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Willyrh said:
did you get any reply

Well I guess unless someone used telepathy as there is no sign of it posted here then the answer is probably no.
I suspect the O/P has made his post far too long and far too complicated for anyone to even attempt to reply. It is obvious that back ground reading need to be done

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
For V-Plug, just decompress the zip file into your root folder (I'm using ProgDV:cool:. Get the DVB-S card key file from the site you mention and do likewise. Softcam.key is included in this file.

For quick-change keys e.g T P S you will need to update daily.

Llew

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
OK Topper, a bit slow replying to this one. (had a long day :-doh2 )

Llew

DarkDeveloper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m Hotbird + 90cm Nilesat dishes. Comag SL100HD CI/MVision MV-9085 USB Net receivers, Windows 7 WMC PC with Pinnacle PCTV 3010x + FloppyDTV
My Location
Middle East
Topper said:
Well I guess unless someone used telepathy as there is no sign of it posted here then the answer is probably no.
I suspect the O/P has made his post far too long and far too complicated for anyone to even attempt to reply. It is obvious that back ground reading need to be done

First off, thanks for all the replies.

Mr Topper, if you had read my post properly, you might notice that I am asking very detailed and specific questions, which in turn might imply i've done some background reading beforehand..... but i take your point about complexity.

I notice a few posts made by more senior posters, complain about newbies who dont even attempt to use the search function to find the answers to their questions...

Yet I make the effort of trying to learn about the subject matter beforehand (by searching this very forum) and all I get is comments suggesting that I have'nt done any background reading.... you cant have it both ways....

Eitherway, just to take the criticism on board, heres the more blunt, simplfied version of the original post...forgive me if it sounds as though i have'nt done any research....;)

S2emu, Vplug or Yankse/Fenrir - Whats the difference?

I go to a website and see lots of entries like this :-

Etc.

If I want a softcam to decrypt channels on Hotbird (e.g SexyView, Private Spice etc.) which of the above keys would i download?

I dont know my TPS, Nagra from a tvcabo....could someone explain what all the above files are? Do I need specific files/keys to decrypt specific channels or does one key fit all?

I know what softcam.key is, but whats a 'TPS.bin' file?

Have DVBDream, S2emu (1.26) and VPlug (1.6.2).

Tried downloading various softcam files (i.e. the ones listed Q2), but encrypted channels still encrypted, i.e. screen is blank, but i can select the audio (language)

Im obviously not using the right softcam, could anybody point me to the right one (or even email it me?)

(I notice that the softcam at http://www.dvbskystar.com/ seems to be dated middle of 2006... would this not be an out of date softcam? i.e. it wont work )

Thanks in advance

sebastiao vivo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fte 420;dreambox 500-s;Dreambox-7020si;DM 800 HD;skystar2 usb+usb2;fte max-100;antenas fixas Hisp,Nilesat,Atlant bird5 W,Hotb,Astra1,2 e Eurobird
My Location
portugal
Hi
Maybe not the answer you dream of but i ll tell you how it works with me....I use always last Progdvb Ellecard edition and i copy to plugins folder both vplug and S2emu which I unzip.Then i add to the same folder an updated S..C..k.y,and T.s also unziped
Works fine

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
DD I also take on board your comments and apologise if I have offended you but quite honestly I was falling asleep before I had finished reading your initial post, which was the point I was trying to make. Listing details copied and pasted from key sites and asking what they all do is not in my opinion the correct way to be doing things nor in my opinion does it show any degree of background reading. For example one of the 'detailed and specific' questions you ask is
I know what softcam.key is, but whats a 'TPS.bin' file?
Well I know very little about decryption techniques but I know that TPS is a bouquet of French channels on 13 deg East which is due to disappear soon and I know that a bin file is a binary file that is uploaded to receivers which are flashable and I suspect that downloading the file and unzipping it will reveal details of receivers with which the file can be used. Hence because of background reading I have done previously I would not need to have had that in my list of questions to be asked. You see my point now?

If nothing else my comments served to bump your thread and get two answers:cool:

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
In case of confusion, TPS as a provider has now merged with Canal Satellite France, therefore although TPS files are still named as such, the old TPS channels on 10.758V Hotbird 13E are now renamed as those shown here -

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/tps.html

Llew

ceevee

Reaction score
Website
www.ceevee.info
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM500 connected to 6MB ADSL Internet, with Gbox on a 1.2 satellite Dish.
My Location
Malta
I know that this isn't the right thread to open up a new topic, but i do not know of how to open up a NEW topic... can any one help me out with that? An other thing i wish to know is this... Can I ask someone to help me of how to input keys with the remote control to my brothers KAON converter? I have the right keys... but I have no idea of how to input them with the remote control... sorry for breaking any rules by posting in the wrong thread. Many thanks and regards :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
ceevee said:
I know that this isn't the right thread to open up a new topic, but i do not know of how to open up a NEW topic... can any one help me out with that? An other thing i wish to know is this... Can I ask someone to help me of how to input keys with the remote control to my brothers KAON converter? I have the right keys... but I have no idea of how to input them with the remote control... sorry for breaking any rules by posting in the wrong thread. Many thanks and regards :)

Well ceevee if you are reading this then click on the toolbar at the top left on the word Home. As you arrive at the home page the word will change to Forums. Click on that and view all the different forums then click on the most appropriate forum for your question then on the left hand side you will see a button called New Thread