Advantages of dreambox over Sky+ equipment

crunchtime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
UK
Been looking to try and escape the shackles of sky equipment for a while now, and the dream box seems to be very promising.

I had a quick skim through the pinned topics on this forum as well, and I think I get the main idea of what is required, just have few questions.

Basically the two main appeals of getting this kind of setup is
1) Direct record of my paid sky sub to PC. I presume this is posible using newcamd?
2) Getting an ART sport card to watch footie. Presumably though I'm going to need a motorised dish to switch between sky and art sport satellites/other satellites?

Other questions:
3) What are the key differences between the 7xxx dreambox and the 5xx dreambox; just no space for hard drive?
4) I have sky mainly for the sci-fi on sky one and movies, just wondering wether they're is any really good english language channels I can pick up with this new system that I couldn't pick up before?
5) Can I pickup Polish language channels to keep my mum happy?

Thanks for your replies in advance, I know newbie posts can get tiresome, but I have been looking around the web for a while now and have not come to any conclusions. So would appreciate the help.

crunchtime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
UK
3) Just answering my own question... seems the main difference between 5xx and 7xxx is the CI slot, I dont think I'd really be buying hardware CAMS, so if I'm happy to connect up another HDD via CIFS, am I right in thinking there is no difference?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcomt to the forum crunchtime
I am not able to answer any of the dreambox questions but I do know that if you go down the route you are proposing you may miss sky card updates unless you park your dish on 28.2 overnight everynight. I am also doubtful about
crunchtime said:
1) Direct record of my paid sky sub to PC. I presume this is posible using newcamd?
I thought you needed a dragon cam for that but I may be wrong.

crunchtime said:
5) Can I pickup Polish language channels to keep my mum happy?
Your mum should be happy enough with 13 degrees East click here to see all the free ones available

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Comparing sky and a dreambox is a hard one, i have both and to be honest, i need both. i wouldnt say one is better than the other.

i use my Dreambox for footy mainly, and getting the odd boxing match or whatever without paying Sky PPV.

you say you will need a motorised dish to switch between sky and 13e, well i would keep a sky dish and you motorised system seperate. i shared a dish for 2 years and it did my head in lol

Sci-fi, need sky deffo, sounds like you watch similar stuff to me, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate etc etc
the foreign channels are not listed so well and finding them is a pain, thats if they are in English!!
Films however... loads of em, if you get a motorised system, cancel sky movies :)

to be honest best option for you would be
Sky with its own dish... subscribed just to Family pack (or whatever its called now) £19.50 pm
Dreambox 70XX motorised dish, ART subscription

sorted :)