Advice Appreciated on 2nd hand Grundig box

COOG

Reaction score
I have acquired a 2nd hand Grundig digibox GDS300 and was thinking of passing it on to my parents who now live in Greece, for them to use to obtain Sky TV over there.

Is this possible using a freesat card? I have tested the box as best I can but although it powers up ok and the menus are there etc using my existing dish/cable, when I put my own card in it says "wrong card for Digibox" or something similar.

Will the box need to be "de - coded" before my parents can use it?

Cheers

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you buy a freesat card it should work in the box, not sure whether they are coming out activated at the moment, but if not, you simply phone them to pair it to the box.

The biggest problem you will have is to get a dish big enough to receive the BBC and ITV channels in Greece.

Will move this to the Astra 28.2 Fringe section.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Coog - please note that reception of the BBC & ITV signals anywhere in Greece is unlikely without a HUGE dish. Channel 4 can be difficult too.

You may find this page instructive (or possibly depressing!):

http://www.astra2d.co.uk/greece.htm

For example, someone reports perfect reception of the BBC & ITV stuff on 2D in Rhodes - with a 5m dish!

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
But it should have given you the "wrong card" message only on movies and sky sports.The rest should have worked,at least ch4 and five on a ftv card.

COOG

Reaction score
zorba said:
But it should have given you the "wrong card" message only on movies and sky sports.The rest should have worked,at least ch4 and five on a ftv card.

Cheers mate, dont think I was clear enough. The card I was using is my own Sky Package card not an FTV card. I haven't / didn't try the normal channels, presumably the same logic as the FTV applies?

Given the other guys responses, what size dish do you think would be required to recieve pictures in Kefalonia ? What dish do you have for Cyprus ?
My parents reckon that friends of theirs are getting pictures ok, but they never said what sort of dish they are using.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
you did made yourself clear,you asked if the box was okay for a freesat card,which is why i was wondering why you weren't getting ch4 or 5, which you would get by putting your card(or any card) in.All channels except movies and sports should work on that box so you can test it that way,because some older grundigs dont work very well on certain channels.
In Cyprus we need minimum 2.7m dish for BBC/ITV and thats on the west side.3.8-4.2 on east side.