Advice for a Newbie

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre Channel Master with matched feedhorn + Inverto 0.3dB lnb.

1224 H to H motor ground mounted.
Technomate 5400CI+ USB and
v-box
My Location
Wirral
Hi All

I've been reading as much as I can on the Satellite forums to get an idea of what's involved before I make the leap.
I've got a rough idea of what i want:

80cm or 1m motorised dish
Vantage receiver
Sky box (just to cover all bases)
Freeview
Loads of different channels including English/Spanish/German.

A few questions :):
  • First, a site survey...how much should I pay for this?
  • Is there much difference between 80/85cm and 1 metre dishes (I'm looking at the 85cm clear and the Funke 1 metre aluminium on Satellite Superstore)
  • Can you get a 1 metre dish in 'see-through' or are they all grey/black etc.
  • Is there much difference between the vantage, manhatten, dreambox and Topfield recievers. (I bet this is a big question :) )
  • Would I need two cables from the dish if I have a sky-box as well or can you have some sort of switch set-up.
  • Do you need a Freeview box (i have one) or can you get all freeview channels on satellite, including ITV, CH4, CH5 etc.
I know I'm asking a lot here but hope you can help me to see the way forward. A bit :confused

Thanks

Frank :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi, I can only answer some of your questions.

If you intend to run two receivers, then yes you will need two cables running from your dish, or you could use a manual AB switch, but only one receiver could be used a time.

If you have a $ky box and a Free Sat from Sky card then you can watch all satellite free to air channels plus ch4 and ch5 and I think $ky 3.

If you were going to install yourself then you could do your own survey and it would be free.

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

v-box
My Location
Wirral
Robbo71 said:
Hi, I can only answer some of your questions.

If you intend to run two receivers, then yes you will need two cables running from your dish, or you could use a manual AB switch, but only one receiver could be used a time.

If you have a $ky box and a Free Sat from Sky card then you can watch all satellite free to air channels plus ch4 and ch5 and I think $ky 3.

If you were going to install yourself then you could do your own survey and it would be free.

Thanks Robbo.....yes, I think two cables would be better...more options.
The reason I'm thinking of getting a Satellite installer to give me a survey is that if I get an 85cm/1 metre dish I'd like to know the lowest position I could get away with as the prevailing wind hits the wall on which it would be fixed. With such a big dish I'm concerned about the wind leverage.

Frank

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You should be able to work quite a bit for yourself with a bit of homework.

Ideally you want to use a wall or some other position where you can stick a pole that will give a good view of the sky due south plus 30 to 50 degrees or so east and west of that, depending on what sats you want to pick up.

The required elevation for you dish for each sat depends on your location, and the position of the sat. The closer to due south from your position the sat is the higher the elevation.

This link here:- __http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm
will give you the required elevation from your position for all sats.

With a compass, and some sort of makeshift inclinometer and info from the link, you should be able to work out a suitable position. You need to make sure that the bottom of the dish will be able to see the sats that you want, without ANY obstructions, NO trees NOTHING.

You may also need to apply a bit of trigonometry.

In some places it just may not be posible to get all sats unless the dish is really high, so you may have to compromise.

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

v-box
My Location
Wirral
Robbo71 said:

Ideally you want to use a wall or some other position where you can stick a pole that will give a good view of the sky due south plus 30 to 50 degrees or so east and west of that, depending on what sats you want to pick up.

The required elevation for you dish for each sat depends on your location, and the position of the sat. The closer to due south from your position the sat is the higher the elevation.

With a compass, and some sort of makeshift inclinometer and info from the link, you should be able to work out a suitable position. You need to make sure that the bottom of the dish will be able to see the sats that you want, without ANY obstructions, NO trees NOTHING.

In some places it just may not be posible to get all sats unless the dish is really high, so you may have to compromise.

Thanks again Robbo...very useful.

Frank

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

v-box
My Location
Wirral
Robbo71 said:

I've taken a look at the Lyngsat and Satsig sites and printed loads off:-doh2
I need to be able to get from Eurobird 1 @ 28.5E to Hispasat 1C @ 30.2W to get the channels I want.
How much more of a 'safety zone' either side of these two positions do I need to make sure I can get them., would 35E to 35W be enough or would they still be on the fringe?

Also, is there much difference between an 85cm and a 1 metre dish in their ability to pull in these satellites, or could I go even smaller (65cm or so) and still get them. Would the dish size make a difference in bad weather?

Frank

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi Frank, you don't need a safety zone at all, if the whole of the dish has a clear unobstructed view of the satellite there will not be a problem assuming your measurements were accurate.

Doesnt hurt though, leaving more either side to make sure.
You could also experiment with the dish before installing properly to check.

Down in Kent I have a Minidish on Hotbird, Astra 1 and Astra 2, most of the time its been fine. It rained extremely heavily the other night and I lost all signals for a few minutes. Big is Better. I also have a 90cm fixed on Hispasat and that was absolutely fine.

So I would say get an 85cm since you're a lot further north, you may have problems with very heavy rain with a 65cm, but it would be fine most of the time.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
After thought:-

You would be fine with an 85cm for the stronger sats in that range, i.e Astra2/Eurobird,Astra1,Hotbird, and Hispasat, but for the weaker sats a 1m would pick more up.

Since I only have a minidish on my motor, I can only get the stronger sats, so I don't know how big the dish would need to be to pick up all of the weaker ones. I believe there is one on 26 degees that is particularly difficult ,as a big dish is required ( tighter focussing)to avoid being swamped by Astra2 at 28.2.

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

v-box
My Location
Wirral
Robbo71 said:

You would be fine with an 85cm for the stronger sats in that range, i.e Astra2/Eurobird,Astra1,Hotbird, and Hispasat, but for the weaker sats a 1m would pick more up.

Since I only have a minidish on my motor, I can only get the stronger sats, so I don't know how big the dish would need to be to pick up all of the weaker ones. I believe there is one on 26 degees that is particularly difficult ,as a big dish is required ( tighter focussing)to avoid being swamped by Astra2 at 28.2.

Thanks Robbo...I e-mailed a well known satellite store and they said more or less the same...the 85cm would do for all satellites I'm interested in except possibly the Hispasat, where a 1 metre would be better. Any info from any of you Guru's regarding picking up Hispasat would be very welcome.

Frank

duane

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
just starting up
My Location
burnley lancashire
sorry this might be in wrong place but new to this site but i am just getting in anew sat system i have a metre and half dish i think with echostar acuator on it but before i go any further want to test the acuator to see if still working can anyone tell me how to do this without a receiver

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

v-box
My Location
Wirral
Robbo71 said:

I've just been reading a post on Spanish channels From Digital + on Astra 1KR at 19.2E. Would I be right in saying that's an easier satellite to get than Hispasat and that it has more or less the same channels? If so, what's involved in receiving from Digital+....is a cam card needed?...if so how does that work. Sorry for all the questions but the more I find out the more options there seems to be :-doh2

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
The Vantage receiver is patchable and can currently get everything available, including D+ and Premiere, on Astra 1, you do not require anything else, apart from your computer and probably a null modem cable, if this is how the receiver connects to your computer.
There are lots of guides around, and software, for your receiver, please post a new thread, when you get your system up and running, and you will get all the information and help you require.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
frankg4553 said:
I've just been reading a post on Spanish channels From Digital + on Astra 1KR at 19.2E. Would I be right in saying that's an easier satellite to get than Hispasat and that it has more or less the same channels? If so, what's involved in receiving from Digital+....is a cam card needed?...if so how does that work. Sorry for all the questions but the more I find out the more options there seems to be :-doh2

They are both very easy to get, without any difficulty, you don't need a big dish for either of them. True D+ is on both, but on Hispasat there is TVCabo_ and on Astra 1 there is Premiere_. Oh and on Hotbird there is multivision_.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
duane said:
sorry this might be in wrong place but new to this site but i am just getting in anew sat system i have a metre and half dish i think with echostar acuator on it but before i go any further want to test the acuator to see if still working can anyone tell me how to do this without a receiver

Mate, you need to start your own thread, but you're in the right section:)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
frankg4553 said:
Thanks Robbo...I e-mailed a well known satellite store and they said more or less the same...the 85cm would do for all satellites I'm interested in except possibly the Hispasat, where a 1 metre would be better. Any info from any of you Guru's regarding picking up Hispasat would be very welcome.

Frank

Sorry I missed this comment. Maybe someone from you neck of the woods can advise on this, but where I am it was absolutely P**ing down the other night and Ive got the odd branch blocking parts of my 90cm dish but Hispasat was blasting through. There is a post on this site , where he gets Hispasat on a portable dish in Staines even when it rains. http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...a-dish-other-sats-too-outside-window-lol.html

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

v-box
My Location
Wirral
Robbo71 said:

Robbo.....I'm starting to wonder if a fixed dish on Hispasat, as you have, and another possibly fixed dish with multiple LNB's pointing for the 13E, 19.2E and 28.2E would be a simpler option, as these would cover my needs for both the Spanish and English channels.
When you say you have yours pointing at Astra 2 and Astra 1 does that mean you can pick up all of the Astra birds at that location, ie. Astra 2A, 2B and 2D and Astra 1KR, 1F and 1H on your fixed dish without further adjustment?

Would there be enough leeway in a dish LNB aimed at Astra 28.2E to be able to pick up say Eurobird 1 at 28.5E?

Regards

Frank

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I have a motorised dish that can go from 0 degrees to 30 degrees east before things get in the way. I also have a fixed dish on Hispasat.

Unfortunately Im having a problem at the moment in that I cant get my diseqc motor to work through my 4-way diseqc switch. So I have put up yet another dish for 28.2. The motorised dish can then be used between Astra 1 and hotbird by briefly plugging in the motor and changing the position.

I have come round to the idea that for my purposes for the moment that a motor is not the best option for just picking up 30W, 13E,19.2E and 28.2E, which is all I want.

I can't have a big dish with a multi bracket on due to complaints from 'er' indoors and neighbours.

But a largish (0.8m to 0.9m)dish with an LNB multibracket covering
13E,19.2 and 28.2E with a separate dish for Hispasat would be an ideal solution. You don't have to wait for the dish to move and also you can put a twin LNB up for 28.2E so a $ky box can be connected and won't be disturbed as it would if the dish was motorised.

Yes, so I agree, if you definetely only want the major 3 eastern birds plus Hispasat then then 1 fixed dish plus one multibracket dish would be an excellent solution.

Oh and 28.5 Eurobird can be classed as being in the same location as 28.2 Astra 2. If you aim your dish at one, the signals from the other will also be picked up.

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

v-box
My Location
Wirral
Robbo71 said:
I have a motorised dish that can go from 0 degrees to 30 degrees east before things get in the way. I also have a fixed dish on Hispasat.

Unfortunately Im having a problem at the moment in that I cant get my diseqc motor to work through my 4-way diseqc switch. So I have put up yet another dish for 28.2. The motorised dish can then be used between Astra 1 and hotbird by briefly plugging in the motor and changing the position.

I have come round to the idea that for my purposes for the moment that a motor is not the best option for just picking up 30W, 13E,19.2E and 28.2E, which is all I want.

I can't have a big dish with a multi bracket on due to complaints from 'er' indoors and neighbours.

But a largish (0.8m to 0.9m)dish with an LNB multibracket covering
13E,19.2 and 28.2E with a separate dish for Hispasat would be an ideal solution. You don't have to wait for the dish to move and also you can put a twin LNB up for 28.2E so a $ky box can be connected and won't be disturbed as it would if the dish was motorised.

Yes, so I agree, if you definetely only want the major 3 eastern birds plus Hispasat then then 1 fixed dish plus one multibracket dish would be an excellent solution.

Oh and 28.5 Eurobird can be classed as being in the same location as 28.2 Astra 2. If you aim your dish at one, the signals from the other will also be picked up.

This is sounding more and more the way to go. I've got a perfect spot on the west facing wall of the house with a clear view to 30W for the Hispasat dish (say 1 a metre) which would not be too obtrusive and then I could use an 80 or 90cm one with multi LNB's for the eastern satellites as you say.

Thanks again Robbo...very helpful.

Frank

ChrisWW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD +Toshiba 32 inch LCD TV. Fortec star Beta receiver . 80 CM Dish on motor.
My Location
Suffolk
Re this current thread. Iam just about to put a 80 CM dish on the North Wall of the house so it "Looks" over the top of the roof.. The calculated angle of the roof is about 30 degress so I know I will have to have the dish up a little so as to see down to about 24 degress either side of the centre...Now my question is if I fit this said dish and motor on a 18 inch T K barcket fitted with Raw Bolts into brick will I have any obvious problems when the wind blows and it certainly can here at times or should I consider fitting lower which can be done but will be a pain.....Thanks

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
and then feed all that into a diseqc switch to a receiver then your sorted