Advice for a stranger on everything

mephistodan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
Cambridge UK
I've just moved to the UK, rented a house and now thinking about getting a satellite set up.
I'm completely clueless. What I need to buy, from where, how much does it cost to get someone to install it for me, is it doable for me to do it myself? What's the rules for size dishes here? I have rented a semi-detached house and got permission from the landlord to install anything.
Oh, I'm after Arabsat or Nilesat (both if possible!)

I know this is a lot to ask but please help me before the wife kicks me out.

Cheers

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi and Welcome.

You have chosen two of the trickier satellites to pick up.

Down in kent, just east of London , I can manage to get the vertical transponders from 7W and most of 26E in fair whether on a 1.1m. So being a bit further north and if you want the vertical transponders from 7W as well, you will need a larger dish.

Check out this thread re 7W
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...size-info-nilesat-7w-western-europe-uk-3.html

Having a quick read through, a good quality 1.8m should suffice.

Yes, you can install yourself, but it would not be easy for a beginner for a larger dish. A smaller 1m dish with a Diseqc motor is very 'do-able'

The max dish size you can normally have without planning permission is 1m.

Robbo:)

mephistodan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
Cambridge UK
So you think for Arabasat or Nilesat I certainly need 1.8+ and I need permission for anything 1+. Ok, can you guide me where to read about getting that 'permission' where,how, how much... etc.

Many thanks or the swift reply, looks like i'll spend many hours in this website in the near future :)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
mephistodan said:
So you think for Arabasat or Nilesat I certainly need 1.8+ and I need permission for anything 1+. Ok, can you guide me where to read about getting that 'permission' where,how, how much... etc.

Many thanks or the swift reply, looks like i'll spend many hours in this website in the near future :)

I don't believe that 1.8m would be enough for Nilesat.
If you read through the link that was given above, you might find that even 2.4m is not enough.
Can you get a subscription to Showtime at reasonable price?
Before that try to get a system working otherwise you might be paying for something that you can't use.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
mephistodan said:

You may find some useful info here re. planning
_http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115311947803.html

At the end of the day, you probably need to contact your local council. I haven't needed to find out the actual procedure as I have kept my dish/es within the 1m (well almost :))
Roobo :)