Advice for satellite newb

brody75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ex Sky user
My Location
South East, UK
Hey guys, Ive just taken the wise decision of quitting from Sky digital due to their ever increasing monthly charges that I've been stupid enough to put up with for years. :-Nooo The only problem is I really love the footy and boxing and that was really the only thing I ever watched on sky and Ive heard about a couple of friends of friends who've got motorised satellite systems on which they get just about every premiership match going along with a choice of multiple languages although English will do me just fine :) Now rather than just blindly go along with what these people have got set up I thought it best to ask some people in the know what sort of system would be the best to go for. Supposedly one of these people ive heard about has got a motorised system costing about 400 to 500 quid and use a 65 quid card each year, the other bods sytem costs about 250 quid and not sure what card set up hes got though. Im looking to pay out around 400 quid, is it possible to get a good motorised system for that kinda cash? :confused Also does anyone know of some good magazines so I can do some research for myself?
Any advice will be gratefully received :)
Cheers
Brody

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You have missed the era of the cheap football - the costs for next season using foreign providers will be nearer 500 quid! (ART - the company with the ultra cheap coverage - lost the coverage rights for next season....)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Welcome to the forum. I've never read a satellite magazine- I learn my stuff from reading here :)

Channels that are "open" changes daily so if you must have certain channels you'll need a card.

For £400 you can get a 90cm dish, motor and a Dreambox (see Dreambox section for an idea). I can't comment on other receivers as I don't have any.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Digitalb looks like one being one of the best value for Premiership football, should be around £150 for the 12 month Supersport card, you will need a receiver with a Conax embedded CAM or a receiver with a multicam which works with Conax cards, or you can get the card and CAM together for £200 or so.

cyberduck

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus
My Location
Wirral, Merseyside, UK
Total newbie here too. Thinking of dropping Sky.

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any help.

There are quite a few local pubs that showed live premiership football for the season just finished. It was "Al Jazira" or something like that. Whenever you asked them if a game was on they'd say we won't know until just before the match. Is that the ART that people on this forum refer to and say is not continuing with the footy next season? Why do they never know if a match is on?

I'm a big cricket fan too. Am I going to have to stay with Sky for this?

Where should I start my learning on here? Any particular category?

brody75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ex Sky user
My Location
South East, UK
Thanks for the quick info guys, ill do some indepth googling on the issue and check out more info on this site to get up to speed on it all, looks like no cheap footy for me though which is sods piggin law :(
Brody

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
cyberduck said:
Total newbie here too. Thinking of dropping Sky.

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any help.

There are quite a few local pubs that showed live premiership football for the season just finished. It was "Al Jazira" or something like that. Whenever you asked them if a game was on they'd say we won't know until just before the match. Is that the ART that people on this forum refer to and say is not continuing with the footy next season? Why do they never know if a match is on?

I'm a big cricket fan too. Am I going to have to stay with Sky for this?

Where should I start my learning on here? Any particular category?

Don't think many other countries in Europe have an interest in Cricket, so Sky is probably the only option for that.