Advice needed for installing a Channel Master 180

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with an Inverto Black Ultra and a Pace 2600C1
My Location
Borlänge 200km WNW of Stockholm
Could I ask you good folks for a little bit of advice?
I live in Dalarna in Central Sweden. In the last 8 years I have had exellent reception of all channels on 28.2 E. After Astra 2E have gone into service I'm struggeling to get good reception of BBC. I get reception part of the day on horizontal trsp and reasonable good recption of vertical but allmost no bad weather margin. My 1,5 Gibertini have served well but I'm now considering an upgrade to a Channel Master 180 that should do the trick.

My problem is that when we moved in our new house we invested in getting a builder to dig a 1,5m deep hole to get to frostfree depth and fill a big drain pipe with cement with a 70mm pole now standing for all eternity. As I understand it a Channel Master 180 need a 4,5 inch pole. The dish is fairly well secluded and we NEVER see any stronger wind than 15m/s. Any ideas how to go around this problem?
Thank you for reading this post

A

archive10

I assume your problem is that you don't know if the CM will go on the existing pole somehow?
The mount for the cm 180 is unfortunately too wide (11.5 cm) for your 7 cm pole
(And it also sits on top of the pole as a cap, rather than clamping on it)

Also keep in mind that the cm weighs something like more than 75 kg with mount and LNB/cables.

I am not sure what the strength are for various 7 cm pipes (I mean resisting bending - not sure what the term is).
You could wonder if the 7 cm (2.75 inch) tube would be strong enough to withstand wind-loading of the CM180, even if you never see strong winds (had some serious stuff end-of-last-year here in Scandinavia, remember?)

However, Satellite Superstore in the UK makes an after-market polar mount for the CM180s, that goes on a 7,5 cm pole.
And they even sell that with a ground stand with a 7,5 cm pole.

_hxxp://www.satellitesuperstore.com/dishes-motors2.htm#andrews18mot

You would conceivably fit that onto your existing pole (if it its sturdy enough).

I have actually been toying with the idea of making an Az/El mount for the CM180, that goes onto a 7,5 cm pole, as I have both a 75mm channel master wall bracket for the CM120, and a CM120 mount lying around, as well as a CM180 reflector. The trick would be to make an adaptor for the CM180 to the CM120 mount. I have actually made a wooden prototype of the adapter to test if the mount would hold the loading.

However, I do doubt whether the CM120-mount would withstand the weight and wind-loading of the CM180. So I have never assembled the pieces I made for this purpose. I can give you more details if you want.

I suppose the alternative is to make an adapter for the pole itself, e.g. from a length of 11,7 cm tubing; with suitable plastic spacers and some sort of clamping (e.g. screws like on the CM mount itself) that would "extend" the 7 cm pole to an 11,7 cm pole.

What height is your 70mm pole?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I think it es easy to adopt existing pipe. Take piece of 4,5 inch, weld piece of flat metal to one end. Put this new pipe on existing 70mm pipe, screw to the concrete and weld both pipes together at very top. For adding more strength weld 4 pieces of metal at the bottom (red triangle). Also possible to make several holes thru both pipes, put screws via those holes and weld the ends. Should work with no problems for CM1,8m.
Perhaps Puffin, from time he posted, already have some progress.

Attachments

• Screen_32 Mar. 09 21.41.jpg
    Screen_32 Mar. 09 21.41.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 52

Mark Hargrove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised dish with Tm5402 receiver, sky dish with sky hd receiver, freesat in 2nd room
My Location
Bristol
Best might be to just get a digger in for half a day and put in the proper steel pole, it will be woth it in the end.